Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: descartes1979 ( )
Date: January 26, 2011 11:52PM

So I am sitting here thinking - how awesome would it be if whenever the church announced a new temple, or broke ground for a new temple, or had an open house - if a bunch of exmos got together and re-enacted the full temple endowment in the open air so everyone could see how fucked up it really is. I bet that would get a lot of media attention and turn a lot of public opinion against temples.... thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: LehiExMo ( )
Date: January 26, 2011 11:54PM

I personally think the best thing to do would be to ignore it. That is, after all, what the members do.

Posted by: anon123 ( )
Date: January 27, 2011 01:01AM

I'd think the reactions would be funny. XD

Posted by: anon ( )
Date: January 27, 2011 02:15AM

Date: January 27, 2011 02:23AM

Maybe not - it was a fun idea anyway.

Posted by: wardbecks ( )
Date: January 27, 2011 02:26AM

What would it gain you to do this? Someone might come deck you right there. I'm just sayin.

Date: January 27, 2011 02:31AM

This wouldn't be about catharsis for me or anyone else, or about pissing off Mormons - the objective would be to create an awareness with the public in the area about what oaths and covenants go on inside the temples, and hopefully spur some opposition to the building of the temple.

If that objective could be achieved I would be willing to take a punch or two. Wouldn't you?

Posted by: elee ( )
Date: January 27, 2011 02:53AM

Just sit back, grab a beer and watch them shoot themselves in the foot. Over. And over. And over again.

Date: January 27, 2011 02:55AM

Yeah thats probably true. The whole secrecy aspect of temple worship doesn't help their cause either.

Posted by: elee ( )
Date: January 27, 2011 02:58AM

I would suspect that anywhere a Mormon temple, ward or stake building is scheduled to be built, the communities sit down at the computer and start Googling.

Don't get me wrong, I don't believe Mormonism will ever disappear entirely. Especially in Utah. But between the various Mormon politicians and Prop 8, the Mormons have put themselves under the microscope of public scrutiny.

Posted by: reinventinggrace ( )
Date: January 27, 2011 03:19AM

It looks like the only thing that's been tried is to have some whacko "Christian" street preachers spit on garmies in Salt Lake City.

I think descartes is on to something. An actual response to the Mormon PR Machine.

When the Mos build a temple, they pepper the local media with schmarmy gobbledygook. There's lots of questions that are plainly left unanswered, and they won't answer them.

So, a group of exmos could put on their own program. Be it some nice lectures on the Mormon faith -- what you like, what you don't. Presentations on Mormon practices. And, sure, a reenactment of the temple ceremony.

The temple ceremony would get folks really up in arms. I personally would shoot for the more mild approaches -- discussions of what happens in the temples, what doesn't. Just walk through the whole story start to finish.

RG

Posted by: Steven ( )
Date: January 27, 2011 10:17AM

as effed up as the ritual is, you still have crazy morgbots who believe it with all their "hearts, might, mind, and strength", and some crazy jihadist weirdo morgbot would probably take it the wrong way.

The best protest I've seen is where you get 31 women to dress up like the wives of Joseph Smith in full pioneer attire, standing in line, with a short history printed on a piece of paper (hanging aroudn their necks) I forgot the name of the temple(s) this was done at, but it was quite funny on youtube. Now that I would like to see happen more and more. You could even have guys dress up like Joseph, Brigham, Rockwell, Hickman, etc. Mormons love their re-enactments, but this would be a re-anactment from hell for them.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.