Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: DishyDoodle ( )
Date: July 18, 2013 08:49PM

I did the survey about an hour ago... it is sad.

As a teenager, I recall a YW special meeting where a Sister showed us a film with photos of people that had died of drug over-doses and then she talked about keeping ourselves clean and virtuous. This Sister told a room of about 40 girls to fight to the death if someone was forcibly trying to "take away our virtue". This meeting is vividly burned into my memory. "It is better to die than allow your virtue to be taken".

Horrible, needless message.

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: July 18, 2013 09:01PM

So it's better for the guy to kill you first and then have sex with your corpse?

Posted by: Angry anon ( )
Date: July 18, 2013 09:09PM

This kind of bullshit makes me so goddamn fucking angry. How dare that damn bitch do that. She has no idea why those people were doing drugs.

My sister (different moms) was raped for years by her stepfather. & during the time he was still raping her, she started drinking doing drugs at 12 years old. The drinking probably started earlier.

So by this fucking bitch's standards, my sister was doubly damned.

Date: July 18, 2013 09:51PM

Agreed! She was a Mormon "Stepford Wife" with little mind of her own. Transplanted to the evil outside world (Wash, DC).

Years later, this "Sister" had a mental breakdown, I believe it was when her father died. Horrible memories of childhood sexual abuse by her father and step brothers came flooding in and she was utterly incapable of functioning.

My guess is that she just couldn't wrap her mind around TSSC teaching that the victim loses their virtue, and yet KNEW she was an innocent victim of the abuse. I am sure it shattered her illusion of reality.

Date: July 18, 2013 10:30PM

“There is no true Latter-day Saint who would not rather bury a son or a daughter than to have him or her lose his or her chastity – realizing that chastity is of more value than anything else in all the world.”

- Prophet Heber J. Grant, Gospel Standards, complied by G. Homer Durham, p. 55

It is better to die in defending one’s virtue than to live having lost it without a struggle.”

- Prophet Spencer W. Kimball, LDS Prophet, The Miracle of Forgiveness, p. 196

Posted by: Lydia ( )
Date: July 19, 2013 01:34AM

For the record, I would rather have my son living, having a good ( but safe) sex life, than dead!

Posted by: tomie ( )
Date: July 18, 2013 10:43PM

The survey was pretty accurate what I was taught in YW in the 80s. Basicly, it came down to marry a rm in the temple, raise a family, your husband is the head of the family because he has the priesthood. Your role is to be a wife and mother.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: July 18, 2013 11:36PM

These teachings are partly why Elizabeth Smart didn't try to escape her kidnappers earlier, as she thought she was a chewed piece of gum since she didn't die trying to preserve her virtue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2013 11:36PM by adoylelb.

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: July 18, 2013 11:36PM

Wow! Its so crazy to look at it now from the outside. Its weird that I once thought this sort of stuff was perfectly normal!

82% were taught that their value as a person is dependent on marrying in the temple.

77% were taught that one of the consequences of sexual sin is that I am of less value as a person.

85% were taught that gay or lesbian feelings are sinful.

94% were taught that men have the final say at church.

71% were taught that a woman should not have a career once they have children.

57% were taught that delaying having children by using contraceptives is sinful.

63% were taught that a person’s virtue can be forcibly taken in situations like rape or abuse!!

92% were taught that the decisions made by ward or stake leaders reflect the will of Heavenly Father and they should not be questioned.

Crazy crazy crazy!

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: July 19, 2013 01:12AM

It's not much different now than it was 50 years ago.
They have the women straight jacketed in fear.

I've known several LDS women who have gone quietly insane. There are a couple of them in my family. I've known some outside of my family though. I've also known some that I can't believe they haven't lost their minds.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.