Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: monomo27 ( )
Date: July 20, 2013 12:59PM

I attended a wedding reception this weekend where the bride and groom were drinking champagne just after their temple ceremony. Apparently the groom had told people he intended to go on a mission and then marry his gf in the temple to appease his parents and then he was going to be done with the church. I guess he wasn't kidding. Quite the sacrifice to make your parents happy. Hope he has a great future.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: raisingspecialneeds ( )
Date: July 20, 2013 01:02PM

And does his lovely new bride know this? Sounds a bit extreme just to shut your family up.

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: July 20, 2013 01:03PM

I'm assuming that both he and his wife are on the same page as far as leaving the church goes. I wonder how their families felt as the couple sipped champagne!

Posted by: monomo27 ( )
Date: July 20, 2013 01:10PM

They were both drinking it. Most of the family probably didn't realize what it was. The mother in particular never would have allowed it. I heard the story from one person who didn't believe it until they looked at the empty bottle themselves.

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: July 20, 2013 01:34PM

Oh Yah there are plenty of Guys like that. They understand very well that there are certain things that their phony MORmON parents want, and the parents make it very clear to them, but its also this for that quid pro quo, The kids goes on a mission, gets married in the temple , and then the kids get his school paid for or part of the family business what ever.

Then there are people like my parents, who expect to bury their kids with MORmON burdens, just as they have been told to do, just as they are, before the kids ever have a chance to make it, and then find it inspiring to be able to observe their kids trying to dig out.

For the former its well understood that a mission is "THE" pathway for a suck-cessful MORmON future. Many of these people are the biggest most sickening PHONIES that ever lived, they are gutless pussies that wont hesistate to shove their contrived MORmON suck-cess into your face as they are ASSigned their illustrious MORmON leadershi-t positions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIkVNWHT-IA

For people like me, I thought that I could get overseeing MORmONS off of my back by going on a mission, then when I got home, and wanted to have my own life, I was told "silly You" that a mission was not any kind of an end of MORmON burdens, that it was just the beginning of a lifetime of MORmON burdens, that the mission was just boot camp for getting used to being saddled with a life time heavy MORmON burdens, after all, I had given up my life to the LDS INC MORmON kingDUMB in the LDS Inc MORmON temple ceremony and I had agreed to be brutally murdered if I did not measure up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTDKUmI-NOE

Since my exit from MORmONISM, I am back in charge of my life,
and as "THE" church has assignments for me, Guess what happens!

Posted by: Leah ( )
Date: July 20, 2013 01:35PM

The Mormon church is getting watered (champagned) down just like the Quakers, or any other religious group which originated in America.

The superstitions of the early 1800s simply are not compatible with modern science or modern life.

Posted by: 2+2=4 ( )
Date: July 20, 2013 02:49PM

But some churches have done it in a way, with an intellectual progression, that actually is compatible with rational thought.

Mormonism is too problematic, there is a 19th century hot mess of a scam on top of a superstitious version of christianity to deconstruct...there is no way to untangle this mess.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: July 20, 2013 01:49PM

Posted by: omreven ( )
Date: July 20, 2013 01:57PM

I would be willing to jump through certain hoops just to appease the family. It fully depends on what those hoops are and exactly what the future is regarding those hoops. To go through the whole religious, mission, and temple shpeel is an awful lot, and probably a bigger blow to the family to ditch Mormonism afterwards, so I wonder exactly what this guy accomplished.

At the same time, the ever so important mission and temple wedding took place, and maybe that's all it takes to ease the hearts and minds of mom and dad.

I hope it all works out for this couple. Church attendance, callings, baby blessings and baptisms and YM/YW and whatever the hell Mormons do will be the battles of the future that the bride and groom just paved the way for, let alone the family drama that will ensue for rejecting all of it. It would probably be easier to cut the strings straight from the beginning, but who knows what other factors motivated this choice.

If no one made a stink about the champagne, they probably thought it was sparkling cider. :)

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: July 20, 2013 03:56PM

Perhaps they can fake some more. After all, they can find out the parents' schedules in advance and, so sorry, same as schedule for those events. Give a baby blessing at home and tell the parents it had to be done quickly and....

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: July 20, 2013 02:52PM

I have even seen wills that specified that grandchildren would receive $$ after and only if they went on missions and were married in the temple.

What do you expect from people who have been carrot-sticked through their whole lives.

Some parents do have unconditional love for their children, but they do so at the peril of their own salvation, to use the Mormon lingo.

This is the anti-Family church and I raise my glass to the young couple.

Anagrammy

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: July 20, 2013 07:49PM

It is the superstition that you are sniffing.

Mormons girls are taught that it is more important to get married "in the right place" than anything else--even more important than who you marry (other than he must be a returned missionary).

Mormons use women (sex) to keep the boys in line...to program them to believe that the top tier Mormon women will never even date them unless they serve honorably in the mission field and plan to marry in the temple.

This is why you see so little effort made toward women's education. All that's needed is that they don't allow the boys to have sex with them and that they insist on a temple wedding after a mission. That's it. For a woman, you have achieved and all you have to do is pop out a baby every two years for the rest of your reproductive life...

As usual, these bored women weave urban myths around every single Mormon requirement. If they are told to wear garments, then they start a myth that they protect you from fire, so you have to wear them at all times to keep from being burned...

If you are told you must be married in the temple and the GA's say garments are necessary, then having sex with garments on will insure your child is more spiritual.

Mormon hierarchy needs members to want temple attendance or there is no reason to pay 10%. Sure, you might want to avoid the embarrassment at the end of the year, when the bishop calls you in for tithing settlement and makes you explain why you didn't "volunteer" enough money, but what if you don't li?ke your bishop or (gasp) what if you are inactive. They still have to get their money, you know.

How can they get tithing money from inactives who aren't intimidated by tithing settlement? Well, they can forbid them from seeing their children married, can't they? Yep. What if their children are young? They can forbid them from baptizing them, can't they? Yep.

It's heartless, but that's how they follow Jesus. Heartlessly. They don't read the part that says people aren't supposed to hurt people, especially children, but they will separate a family over baptizing an eight year old as easily as you part out a chicken. And with equal emotion.

So there's fear behind all this temple stuff.

And where there's fear and ignorant people, superstition grows. That's where the idea came that God could be bound. Yes, it's hard to believe but Mormons believe God can be bound to keep his promises by members just ticking off the checkboxes on their todo list for their life.

Members started this idea as a grass roots urban legend and then it appeared over the pulpit in a talk by a GA. The Q15 may not have time to read your letters of questions about doctrine, but if you come up with an idea that reinforces the importance of obeying them, it will be in the next General Conference talk.

So this temple stuff is not like the Catholics burying a statue of St. Joseph upside down in the front yard to help sell their house, it's fear creation, more like priests interviewing women to find out if they are witches.

Keeps everybody scared, just like they like them.

Anagrammy

Date: July 20, 2013 05:22PM

It is just so hard for me to relate to why mormons are so convinced they must have that temple wedding...it is absurd in the extreme to a never-mo...

...they really really do believe in the CK thing? Seriously?

Or has it in reality become some kind of a social status symbol, here on earth in mormonworld, functionally speaking?

Can someone explain that for me?

Or maybe I will start a new thread if I get brave enough one of these days.

My son just got sealed a little over a week ago....

Date: July 20, 2013 06:19PM

I mean, the idea that you need to get married in a certain building in order to be "in a state of grace" so to speak, in order to get into "heaven" is so foreign to the overall Christian thought trajectory. What does a building have to do with anything and why would any 21st century American believe that?

That kind of belief has something in common with superstitious Judaism of 2000 years ago, temple stuff, but criminey, this is 2013.

So it's hard to understand.

So I am wondering if it really becomes more just the social pressure to do the same thing all the nice, well heeled popular mormons do. More so than the irrational belief in magical buildings?

Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: July 20, 2013 08:07PM

That is a good question... The Temple Marriage is an enforcer. Mormons really do believe that the Temple Marriage is not only essential,crucial and mandatory, but failure to do so WILL result in damnation. The Temple Marriage is so important that if a couple is NOT married in the temple and both are Mormon, you will see them return soon for a sealing because peer pressure will not allow them to not do it. Any Mormon not married in a Temple will be viewed as unworthy. Any Mormon living outside of Utah will be expected to live a life of singleness and celibacy if no suitable Mormon marriage partner is found.

It isn't so much the building per se but the "Priesthood Authority" this is what Mormons believe actually seals the couple together. Coincidentally, that power,at least for that ordinance, can only be used in that building because it is so "sacred".

As such, the social status to marry in the Temple is immense. If you fail to marry in the Temple then obviously you are somehow broken, I mean why would you forfeit your eternal salvation to NOT marry in the temple. Rarely will an active LDS couple NOT marry in the temple for all of the above reasons.

The temple is an enfocer because it ensures that even the most rebellious will stay somewhat in line to attend weddings of children and such. Many Mormons will will pay tithing, attend meetings despite what they want to do just to avoid the stigma of being unable to attend a family wedding or other Temple event. The Temple is what ensures that Mormons of all types,no matter what they really want or believe will never stray to far from the church with their wallets and time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2013 08:10PM by whiskeytango.

Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: July 20, 2013 08:17PM

one more thing...Mormons are taught from very early that NOTHING they do in this life is more important than a Temple Marriage...So think about the significance of that statement.

Date: July 20, 2013 10:52PM

thanks Whiskey, Ana, helpful

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: July 20, 2013 08:21PM

Good for them. Maybe Mormon parents shouldn't blackmail their kids into going on missions and doing the rest of the Mormon agenda.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: July 20, 2013 08:47PM

I would be tempted to disinherit anyone who DOES go on a mormon mission - as it shows a lack of intellectual thinking. But I won't, because I hope they wake up.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 20, 2013 11:14PM

Booze after a temple wedding.....what a fabulous idea!! I posted here before that the Cardston, Alberta temple would make a bitchin' Mayan themed nightclub....get 'er all done in one place...

Ron Burr

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.