Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: July 21, 2013 04:43PM

About ten years ago, I was in a Ward Council meeting (I was SS President at the time). One of the full-time missionaries assigned to the Ward said (somewhat smugly) that his generation were the choice spirits who were held back until the end to prepare the world for the second coming of Christ. I laughed and said, “Yeah, that’s what they told me, and that’s what they’ll tell your children, and your grandchildren.”

Were any of you told that you were “held back until the last days” or part of a “chosen generation”?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Claire Ferguson ( )
Date: July 21, 2013 04:50PM

Yes, in the 70s we were told we'd been held back until the last days.

Every bunch of teenagers is told that old chestnut!

Date: July 21, 2013 04:53PM

I suppose a better question would be, was anyone NOT told that they were part of a chosen generation held back until the end?

Posted by: Lori at 51 ( )
Date: July 21, 2013 04:52PM

Yep, and I remember thinking at the time: "I wonder how many years they've been telling the teenagers this".

Lori

Posted by: SLDrone ( )
Date: July 21, 2013 04:59PM

2000 years ago, the earliest Christians were anticipating Jesus's immediate glorious return. This expectation has been around since day 1.

Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: July 21, 2013 05:17PM

My great-grandmother lived well into her nineties. She told me that when she was a little girl about five years old, John Taylor came to her town (Heber City), to hide from the Marshalls cause he had to many wives...He came to my Great Grandmas sunday school class and told each of them that MOST of them would live to see the savior's return. My Grandma kept a list of everyone in that room on that day, and by the time 1975 had rolled around she was about the only one left. She told me that Jesus was coming any day now and if she didn't live to see it then I definatley would...

Posted by: Albinolamanite ( )
Date: July 21, 2013 05:25PM

I remember Y2K being leveraged heavily towards my age group as a sure sign that were in the last days and our generation was the chosen one brought forth to prepare for the second coming. Of course this was 15 years ago and now there's a new generation of kids being told the same thing. I even remember being told that the reason for the death of howard w hunter was to usher in the final era of the earth and gbh would take us to the promised land.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2013 05:26PM by Albinolamanite.

Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: July 21, 2013 06:18PM

No, I think you folks got the story wrong.

Our generation was held back until the latter days so that we could scrub meetinghouse toilets...

Date: July 21, 2013 06:25PM

Lol

Posted by: darksided ( )
Date: July 21, 2013 06:20PM

grew up in the 80's and I was told the same thing

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 21, 2013 08:10PM

This is supposed to be the "last dispensation of time" and after that the other stuff happens... !

So, yes, those born in these last days (about 100 generations or more of them) are to prepare the world for the Lord's return -- or something like that according to LDS teachings.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: July 21, 2013 08:15PM

Waiting for Godot, and, in the guise of Joseph Smith, Pozzo shows up.....

Posted by: sizterh ( )
Date: July 21, 2013 08:15PM

Yup. In the 90s we were told that. We were quiet excited till a leader burst our bubble by telling us "yea, they told us that too."

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: July 21, 2013 08:43PM

I heard that in the 60's in seminary. It's like waiting around for a bad date that is a no show.

If Jesus does return, I would prefer to be 6ft. under. It doesn't really sound like a fun time will be had.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.