Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Drew90 ( )
Date: January 27, 2011 11:00AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2011 11:00AM by 48erhater.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: January 27, 2011 11:04AM

I have a skull with a big flame coming out the top on my right bicep. Signifies that I left with my head on fire.

Just sayin'...

Ron

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 27, 2011 11:06AM

To me, ANY tattoo. I've even thought of getting a tattoo just to make a statement--and I'm 53. I've also thought of getting a second piercing in each ear. When I was young (in the 1960s and 1970s)--we were told not to have any piercings and being the good little mormon I was, didn't get my ears pierced for a long time.

My daughter snuck behind my back to get her third piercing (I wasn't concerned about the "image"--but THE PAIN). My niece took her to get it. NOW, she wears 1 earring in each ear--and is TBM.

Posted by: GayLayAle ( )
Date: January 27, 2011 11:08AM

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: January 27, 2011 11:12AM

Mostly because it keeps Mormons away like nobody's business. On a personal note, I'd get my kids initials too because I'll always love my kids and I might get tired of anything else.

Posted by: Rob ( )
Date: January 27, 2011 11:18AM

At some point in your life, and I'm not there yet either, you'll want to not even think about tscc, and that tattoo will be a constant reminder.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2011 11:19AM by Rob.

Posted by: anon ( )
Date: January 27, 2011 11:28AM

This is a tough question to answer. On the one hand, tats are a constant reminder of what has happened to us or who we are or what is important to us. They help us never to forget these things. On the other hand, in my opinion, one has not fully recovered from a damaging experience until one is no longer constantly reminded of that damaging experience so such a tat could serve to prevent full recovery.

Personally, rather than a tat to symbolize recovery or leaving the Mormon church, I would rather a tat to symbolize who I am or am striving to become after recovery. That would be something that keeps me looking forward or at least in the present or with good thoughts and memories of the past.

For me, I think something along the lines of a soaring eagle or something along those lines would be appropriate. Find what does that for you. That would be my recommendation.

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: January 27, 2011 11:34AM

A naked lady of course! You gotta keep it classy.

Date: January 27, 2011 11:38AM

I always wanted to get the Angel Moroni, only he doesn't have a trumpet in his mouth, but rather a big giant...

...cigar.

Date: January 27, 2011 11:54AM

Cuban?

or caucasian?

Date: January 27, 2011 11:58AM

And who says I can't have both?

Date: January 27, 2011 12:01PM

We still talking about a tatoo?

Date: January 27, 2011 12:22PM

Because I'm preoccupied and obsessed with sex, I'm probably talking about something else now.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: January 27, 2011 11:42AM

symbolizing a complete clean break from TSCC.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: January 27, 2011 11:45AM

Date: January 27, 2011 11:49AM

I've always wanted a tattoo of that little guy from 'Fantasy Island'...what was his name again?

Date: January 27, 2011 11:52AM

Funny!

Date: January 27, 2011 12:32PM

A buff, shirtless Captain Moroni riding a unicorn into battle agains a velociraptor. That'd be a kick-ass tattoo.

Posted by: 665 N' 1/2 ( )
Date: January 27, 2011 12:38PM

People partying in the baptismal font with Raptor Jesus wearing goggles.

A burning Nauvoo temple.

But, I would go with a something simple and easy to conceal the meaning unless a mo looks at it.

Like a urim and thummin with a red shaded image of women in the glass part in bonnets and then blood dripping down a bit on a Nauvoo coin or an ink well pen with a skull in it's decoration.

Are you male or female?

Date: January 27, 2011 01:02PM

Calvin pissing on a temple, and a second stream is pissing on a BoM. And if you notice up above, safe and dry is a Flying spaghetti monster.

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: January 27, 2011 01:21PM

How about a tattoo showing a 14 year old girl, holding a teddy bear, and saying Helen Mar Kimble Smith.

Date: January 27, 2011 01:30PM

Put on chest;

If you bury me in that ridiculous bakers suit, I will haunt you forever!

Posted by: Jon ( )
Date: January 27, 2011 01:35PM

I'm gonna suggest a Lamanite riding a Tapir and carrying a machine gun (which is what they meant by Urim & Thummin)

Posted by: donser ( )
Date: January 27, 2011 02:41PM

I'm planning on getting a symbol of a phoenix with blue flames on my upper arm in the coming months. Signifies my "death" and "rebirth"

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: January 27, 2011 05:40PM

I got a Mickey Mouse giving the finger on my ass. Also a butterfly on my shoulder.

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: January 27, 2011 05:42PM

unworthy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I got a Mickey Mouse giving the finger on my ass.

That would be popular with the tourists in Orlando.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: January 27, 2011 06:01PM

Posted by: Amy ( )
Date: January 27, 2011 06:49PM

I actually got a tattoo when I officially left the morg. I got "Vivere est Cogitare" written in script on my inside of my left ankle. It is from Cicero meaning "To live is to think". Later on I found an exmo tattooist who tattooed lilies around my ankle-theyre sort of my symbol for a new beginning. I love it everyday.

Posted by: SLDrone ( )
Date: January 27, 2011 07:17PM

When I was a little boy my father taught me about the beginning and the end of the world and the 7,000 years of the milleniums. As a little boy I believed him, and so I knew that Adam and Eve the first humans had been placed in the Garden of Eden about 6000 years ago. I remember even as a young man, a returned missionary, arguing with a biology professor at the University of Utah. He patiently listened to my rejection of evolution as a "theory", and patiently answered my objections while trying hard not to offend the students that wanted to believe in the myth of creationism.

The tattoo is a representation of a cave painting found deep in a cave in Altamira, Spain. It was painted about 20,000 years ago by a cro magnon man, someone my old faith taught me could never have existed. Yet there is the painting, and now it is on my arm. The tattoo is for me a rejection of false teachings and doctrines, the arrogance of creationism in "god's image" and my embrace of things as they really are. We are in fact, creatures of evolution. The "falling bison" was painted by my ancestor and I acknowledge his existence.

Posted by: cats2many ( )
Date: January 27, 2011 07:20PM

Just me, but when I left bad things behind, I always wanted to put the lat long of my awakening on my bicep. That way I could always say when asked "Yeah, that's where I came out of the coma at".

Posted by: vasalissasdoll ( )
Date: January 27, 2011 07:50PM

I'm not as angry...well, normally...as some of the folks on here still feel.

I prefer to think of Mormonism as one step on a longer path, and would love to do a back or shoulder piece eventually that worked a mormon symbol, like the beehive, in with symbols of other beliefs I find beautiful, like a gothic cross, triskellion, Thor's hammer, etc....

Definitely the sort of thing that will be running around in my brain for years until I find the right artist.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.