Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SLDrone ( )
Date: July 23, 2013 10:15AM

I doubt specific numbers are available. Before the "rescue" Sweden had about 9400 members. Do we have any Swedish RfM posters that can give us at least some anecdotal evidence about the effect of Mattson's partial defection and subsequent press?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: July 23, 2013 07:55PM

Topping because I am curious about this.

D

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: July 23, 2013 08:03PM

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: July 23, 2013 08:05PM

I think it's too early to take measurements of the fallout. I do think it's caused some trouble with the hierarchy. So....let's wait and see.

Posted by: drunksailor ( )
Date: July 24, 2013 01:53AM

It's certainly been an exciting two days. The effect depends on how many are willing to spread the news on FB.

Posted by: SLDrone ( )
Date: July 25, 2013 05:18PM

The Swedish Rescue meeting was in 2010 I believe. I'm curious to know what percentage of those present decided to leave or remain inactive vs. the number that were satisfied with the responses.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2013 05:19PM by SLDrone.

Posted by: Legend of Zelph ( )
Date: July 25, 2013 06:08PM

That's correct. What happened to the exciting research that was supposed to come out of BYU two years ago? Turley also mentioned that they're really working to get the church artwork to match the historical record, but the church is still putting the old translation paintings in the Ensign...so much for that. He claims he's worked tirelessly for 25 years in the history department to make this history known to the general membership...so how do you explain the fact that the general membership, especially the youth, still know NOTHING about these things? It sounds like he's wasted 25 years of his life, because he's obviously failed miserably.

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 01:17PM

All it would take is one phone call, or one visit by an Ensign Editor to the same person in Orem, Utah who they have commissioned before to paint a scene replicating Joseph Smith in action. She even has a 23 year-old male model who is 6’ tall and looks exactly like Joseph Smith’s famous facial bust. She’s used the model before and has been in print in the Ensign before.

That would be Artist: Liz Swindel, in Orem Utah.

But . . . the hard part – finding an LDS artist willing to paint the most historically accurate portrait that will destroy many in the Church. LDS Inc. might have to fork over really big bucks to get that rendition.

You’d think the person who gets it right would rush forward with the final print – to be immortalized as the one who got the official artwork copyrighted by TSCC with Joe Junior’s head in a hat!

Date: July 26, 2013 10:53AM

SLDrone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm curious to know what percentage of those
> present decided to leave or remain inactive vs.
> the number that were satisfied with the responses.

I would like to know that too. I thought you meant 'what was the fallout' within the Mormon church.

Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 10:50AM

I wonder if any of the Swedish newspapers pick up the NYT story. Would love to hear about the commens and rection in Sweden if they did.

Anyone from Sweden here?

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 10:58AM

Perhaps the governments of other societies will take the Mormon fraud more seriously than the United States and Utah.

Apparently, freedom, to Americans includes the freedom to openly defraud your fellow citizens and get a tax exemption from taxes while doing so.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2013 11:06AM by gentlestrength.

Date: July 26, 2013 11:02AM

gentlestrength Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Perhaps the governments of other societies will
> take the Mormon fraud more sexually than the
> United States and Utah.

Is your autocorrect on? I think you meant "take the Mormon fraud more seriously."

Date: July 26, 2013 11:06AM

My autocorrect is on, I am glad my sentiment got through. Fixed the error.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2013 11:07AM by gentlestrength.

Posted by: jong1064 ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 11:08AM

I liked it better the first way!

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 11:02AM

deconverted2010

Yes, a woman came forward yesterday 7/25/13, from the disaffected Swedish group and and we invited her to answer a few questions.

Either she is not prepared to answer yet, or she was chased away by a rather rude remark by someone here on RFM who snarkily asked her why it took her so long to figure out that the church was lying to her.

It kind of broke my heart. This would be a great opportunity for her to heal on RFM.

I cannot find the thread. It seems to have mysteriously disappeared from the board.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2013 11:03AM by Senoritalamanita.

Date: July 26, 2013 05:55PM

I can't ind another thread accusing exMormons of being mostly Democrats. Did this one go away too?

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 11:04AM

Posted by: Gazelam ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 11:27AM

Yes, I'm curious as well. Apparently 600 people were taking part in these discussion groups Hans had organized, so if the total estimated active membership is around 2,200 (Cumorah.com), that's a HUGE chunk that are questioning!

Date: July 26, 2013 11:53AM

notmonotloggedin,

What do politics have to do with a woman who was among the disaffected LDS in Sweden and who came forward to this board yesterday?

I would have loved to hear her point of view. The subject matter is the fallout of the Swedish Rescue.

She was there. She experienced it. She has the insight. I feel quite bad for any of the members who were forced to resign or face excommunication.

Instead of being welcoming to her, a poster here was quite rude to her, I felt.

Just because I have feelings of sympathy for her, does that make me pro or anti Democrat or Republican? WTF?

How is that in any way, political?

I think the only "agenda" here is something you slipped into the conversation -- a red herring, which detracts from the original subject matter.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2013 12:07PM by Senoritalamanita.

Posted by: vh65 ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 12:15PM

I was hoping to hear more from her as well. Very disappointing. I have a niece on a mission in Sweden and if she encounters these folks and figures out its fake I fear and tremble for her. She has a fair amount of integrity and I could see her just exploding in the mission office.

I also think it could be very indicative of the treatment future questioners might get. That transcript - and the threats and demands that followed - indicate the meeting was anything but a sincere attempt to convince believers their doubts were not legit.

Posted by: frodo ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 02:05PM

I was one of the people who asked this person who posted yesterday who said they were at the fireside if they would be willing to answer some questions.

Why is the thread gone?

Date: July 26, 2013 02:15PM

I have no idea, Frodo. I am wondering the same thing.

I also asked her questions about how many members were approached after the fireside and were asked to resign or be excommunicated.

Do you recall her moniker on RFM? I think it was it Maria Christina? Perhaps it was Christina Andersson Hanke, who identified herself and responded to a thread on Mormon Stories.

I have privately sent messages to two of the disaffected members via FB (not Christina Hanke), but have received no replies.

I'm thinking that the subject is too hot to handle so soon after the NY Times publication, or it is painful to discuss.

I think I would probably be reluctant to share too, unless I knew who I was speaking to.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 02:19PM

I'm not saying that thread was a troll - I'm just saying that the Admins know more than we do.

Date: July 26, 2013 02:20PM

Raptor,

True that.

Posted by: snuckafoodberry ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 07:53PM

Found a new Hans video

http://youtu.be/-1BdbKJbZZY

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 09:43PM

That was fun to watch! You should post it by itself.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.