Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rlawrence ( )
Date: July 24, 2013 12:23AM

So I have a family member who just recently celebrated tomorrows Pioneer day on FB Sadly even naming ancestors that participated in the Mountain Meadows massacre. My relative is very smart MBA and all but OMG does he not read histroy? I think I have to rain on his parade and comment. What would you do, btw I am the only exmo of my siblings

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ck ( )
Date: July 24, 2013 01:51AM

Personally I'd leave him alone. Or send it in a brief, kind-as-possible personal message. Maybe he really doesn't know that they were or participants in MMM or even that it occurred.

Posted by: defycult ( )
Date: July 24, 2013 01:53AM

I would ask him if he intends to put Charles Manson's name on his fb page and other famous murderers.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: July 24, 2013 04:57AM

Oh, defycult, FOFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great answer!

Posted by: Joy ( )
Date: July 24, 2013 02:10AM

A very pointed question or two would be your best bet; such as, "Exactly what role did your ancestor play in the MMM?" or "Tell me the story about your ancestor." Get your family member to look up some facts, and discover what really happened.

Someone commented to me today, "I guess you don't celebrate Pioneer Day...."

I said, "Yes, I celebrate Utah being forced to out-law polygamy, in order to become a state."

Date: July 24, 2013 02:53AM

I used pioneer day tomorrow as a chance to talk to my 4 kid (ages 4-11) about how pioneers settled the American west, from aspiring farmers and ranchers settling the middle of the country, to Mormons settling Utah, Arizona and Idaho, and gold rushers, etc settling California. We talked about the various motivations, freedom of religion, hope for economic prosperity, etc.

My kids asked me if other people hated the Mormons. I said yes. They wanted to know why. We talked about the destruction of the printing press, the fear of Mormons gaining too much political power, and rumors of polygamy.

Of course my kids wanted to know if Joseph Smith had more than one wife. Yep. Their comments after learning about polygamy and the printing press, "He sounds like a bad man!"

So Pioneer Day planted some seeds in these little kiddies' minds as hubby and I anticipate our withdrawal from church activity, after tomorrow's pioneer day festivities that my kids are so excited about, of course. I'm wondering if they'll have any enlightening comments for their friends and leaders tomorrow!

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: July 24, 2013 03:29AM

You will fade out slowly or out totally after tomorrow?? It is nice you let them ask questions and then just gave honest answers. Happy for your family that those kids will not have to endure all that the teens and young adults must endure.

Date: July 24, 2013 04:20AM

DH and I have decided to take a break for a while. He's still not as far along in un-doing the years of Mormon upbringing that I am, so we're going slow. I'm still in the YW presidency in my ward, so that makes it tougher, but I anticipate asking for a release before long.

Posted by: vulturetamer ( )
Date: July 24, 2013 03:45AM

Seriously, not one word about Pioneer Day was mentioned on Sunday. Not one. Now, likely this coming Sunday will be all out "I'm so thankful for my pioneer heritage" talk by a 7th generation mormon.

My kids are completely unaware of this faux holiday, but I celebrated loud and proud growing up in Utah. Meh. It was basically one more reason to let off illegal fireworks back then. ;)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.