Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: wolfunderfire ( )
Date: July 24, 2013 12:32AM

FLUHIST,
I dont want you to go, you are already one of my favourites. I am a Canadian by heritage and half Brit/ Celt and I understand exactly where you are coming from. I find this arrogance so distasteful, even ill-making, especially in this church and utah.Nationialism and nation-centric behaviour can be very difficult to bear from any country or ethnic group or relgion. I think a lot of people here have been indoctrinated to be that way by the church and part of their recovery is to let go of toxic ways of self expression.Americans have been taught for hundreds of years to despise all things British/ Canadian. I would hope everyone could let that go now?! So please dont leave.
I dont love the royalty per se, but I believe that dissing ANY world leader, including the late Hugo Chavez, is not a healthy way to operate,and, after all, this is not an "american" board, it's international. I hope you can let go of this and stay with the board, where you are wanted and needed.
And shame on those of you who attack the culture and heritage and nationality of others! Hate for Britain is SO 1770. Let's ust get over it and be at peace, thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mindog ( )
Date: July 24, 2013 12:35AM

Can we please make this an all caps free zone?

please?

Posted by: Loyalexmo ( )
Date: July 24, 2013 12:39AM

I'd say they do bite, quite often really. There are plenty of non-loving people here and plenty of loving ones too. RfM is many things, many of them good and even great, but a lot of it is not loving. Whether you like that or not is up to you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2013 12:39AM by woodsmoke.

Date: July 24, 2013 12:40AM

Sorry. caps free.
I am not taking personal offense, I am commiserating with Fluhist, if said person is still around. I think it is unfortunate and sad and very pre-2012 millenium for people to be dissing one anothers' nations, leaders, and cultures. This is a healing place.

Posted by: Loyalexmo ( )
Date: July 24, 2013 12:42AM

It's really not. It's a place for recovery. Which means there is a lot of anger, a lot of debate, a lot of people still figuring stuff out, a lot of good information, some bad information, a lot of varying opinions, a lot of people who have dealt with trauma and are dealing with it in various ways, some healthy some not, and also, sometimes, love and healing.

Date: July 24, 2013 12:41AM

Let's all just try to be loving. Its much easier than the opposite :)
every country and culture is wonderful . Especially to those who hail from those countries and cultures!

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: July 24, 2013 12:43AM

When ridiculous things are ridiculed of who is at fault? The ridiculous thing or the one doing the ridiculing?

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: July 24, 2013 01:38AM

... are created equally. If the latter were the case, this recovery board would not even exist.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2013 01:38AM by steve benson.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: July 24, 2013 12:50AM

If you meanies say one bad word about The Real Housewives of Orange County I'm gonna end it all!!!!!

Posted by: Feijoada ( )
Date: July 24, 2013 12:53AM

"...taught to hate all things British/Canadian..." Really? Like "The Beatles"? Are you nuts?

Date: July 24, 2013 01:02AM

Absurd, isn't it.

They can assume all sorts of bologna about me because I made fun if the Royal Wankers.

The truth is, I lived and worked in England (not as a missionary). I LOVE the place! I love London. I have many English friends. One morning on my way to work, I even drove next to Princess Diana as she was taking her young boys to school one morning in their limousine. I enjoy English history, the English countryside, English Ales, & etc. I also think that the Aristocracy is HILARIOUS! I happen to share that view with at least half of the Citizens of ENGLAND!

Date: July 24, 2013 12:58AM

Well, not the Beatles.
I just run into this lot , so I understnd where Fluhist is coming from on this one.Life is just getting too difficult, it is so important that we all just focus on knowing We are all related: mitakwe oyasin.

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: July 24, 2013 01:08AM

I think we need the Swiss to have a fireside and bring the discussion back where it belongs. This site got crazy today. Some facts got lost along the way.

1. Picking on a baby is not cool. You can have your opinion and usually, Steve, I think you're really funny, but this baby is not King George III.

2. The members of the British Commonwealth are independent nations with democratic governments. Who pay allegiance to, but are not governed by the British crown.

3. British Commonwealth nations comprise some of the strongest allies the US has.

4. Most Americans do not hate the UK.

5. Americans are not called upon to support the British Monarchy and if the Brits don't want to do so, they are capable of withdrawing their support.

6. It is possible to disagree without being rude and making the disagreement personal.

7. Things can get ugly on a slow news day.

Good night all, tomorrow let's refocus and direct the vitriol where it belongs, on the TSCC.

Date: July 24, 2013 01:12AM

Thank you, releve.
"amen."

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: July 24, 2013 01:43AM

Besides ,this subject is off topic and we have had multiple threads wasting space on it because a handful of posters insist that they have a right to be jerks. A poster has gone and others are mad. Maybe it is time to end this discussion.oh,yes it is also getting political.

Date: July 24, 2013 01:54AM

What's the problem BD? No Catholics to defend tonight, so you have to go slumming with the German/Greek heads of state for Britain?

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: July 24, 2013 01:55AM

Grow up.

Date: July 24, 2013 01:59AM

That's good advice for people who have a mental breakdown when someone says a critical word about some lame old figurehead.

Posted by: defycult ( )
Date: July 24, 2013 01:57AM

I certainly don't hate Canada. I was never taught to hate Canada. I want to move to Canada in fact. I just want to find out how to get citizenship etc. so I can move.

Posted by: canadianbeaver ( )
Date: July 24, 2013 02:09AM

Can you cook, give great massages and look alright in a jock strap?

For the right price, my hand in marriage can be bought. ;-)

Date: July 24, 2013 02:06AM

Mind boggling.
Myself and Woodsmoke were atempting to speak of love and harmony and generated so much rage from one responder. It's really sad. This is why the world is in a mess.
I hope that better days will soon be upon us.
Respect. It's such a simple thing.

Posted by: leafonthewind ( )
Date: July 24, 2013 02:11AM

I was never taught to despise all things British/Canadian. Don't assume what you don't know.

Date: July 24, 2013 02:14AM

Leaf,
I didnt say you were taught to be that way. I SEE a lot of it, I hear a lot of it, including here, I have always noted that american culture tends to not like other cultures or countries very well, which is a shame for them! , ( they miss out) and I have definitely experienced a lot of prejudice toward myself from some ( some) americans in some states, utah being a prime example. No personal attacks here.
I just started this threat to commiserate with someone else and encourage them, and encourage kindness, empathy, and inclusiveness. excuse me for having a good intention!

Date: July 24, 2013 02:14AM

"Americans have been taught for hundreds of years to despise all things British/ Canadian"

Balderdash!!

Date: July 24, 2013 02:17AM

correction:
Many ( or most) Americans have been taught in ( many ) schools by ( many) parents to despise and resent all things British, Canadian, and Commonwealth. I hear comments on the radio in this vein every single day of the week and did not expect to encounter it here.
I didnt say all.
I said many.

Posted by: distinctlyunimpressed ( )
Date: July 24, 2013 02:27AM

This is what- the 5th, 6th thread in recent days dealing with this subject?

I fail to understand or see any consistency in a board which specifies "no politics" yet permits constant snarky criticism of my Head of State by those (although in fairness, it seems to be mostly one) with an axe to grind.

Yes, it is political.

Yes, I find it offensive.

My name for this post and those yesterday which so provoked the ire of the one poster is not the same I have been using here for the past 5 years. This board has been incredibly helpful whilst I have tried to make sense of all the cog dis, but the vitriol provoked by a baby- a tiny, innocent, beautiful baby- has been eye opening and astonishing to see. Appalling, too.

Fluhist, I understand from whence you come. And I agree with you.

Just because we are angry with TSCC does not give us the right to unleash that hatred on those who have done nothing to deserve such- in this case, my Head of State, and those of us who have stood up for our countries. It would be interesting to see how long anti- American threads would be allowed to stay up. Not as long as the anti Royal threads, I bet.

Fluhist, I wish you well.

Date: July 24, 2013 02:33AM

Distinctly Unimpressed,

Thank you. At least there are three of us on the same page on this topic. All that vitriol. How sad and useless!

I for one congratulate dashing William and sweet Kate and welcome this dear little soul into the world, may his path be an easy and loving one.Like his father and his grandmother Diana, we can pray he will be another royal who will seek to bring about a brighter, juster, more loving world for all of us.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.