Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Loyalexmo ( )
Date: July 25, 2013 10:00AM

http://bytheirstrangefruit.blogspot.com/2013/06/listening-well-as-person-of-privilege_9.html

I've used this post as a way to understand those who label me as "angry" (or any number of other things) when I talk about injustice in the form of sexism, homophobia, or religious discrimination, and when I am listening to others who experience forms of oppression that I don't. I think it gives a lot of insight into why and how Mormons can label us "angry" or "anti-Mormon" just for stating facts about the history, abuse, and oppression of the church, and about our experiences of injustice there. I was always extremely frustrated about this, and confused. I always wondered why it was so threatening to them to hear the truth. TBMs are not comfortable unless their position of privilege and power (in their own minds? in their own religion/church?) is not at all threatened. The agreed-upon approach is to insult or accuse those who leave or speak out against the church, not because they love the church so much, but because it threatens their status quo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2013 10:00AM by woodsmoke.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: July 25, 2013 10:24AM

When one is promoting the indefensible the only recourse is to smear those who point that out.

Posted by: Chhicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: July 25, 2013 01:26PM

If you've defined your entire existence by the Mormon church (or scientology, or a love of the TV show 'Here's Larry') and you are presented with solid evidence (never mind "squishy" facts) how else are you going to rationalize that you've wasted everything on a lie?

1) Quit

2) Take the "good" parts and play along like it's a club

3) Obey Big brother and accept the spin spin spin

4) Melt down with cog-dis inside and slap on a Prozac face

5) Shoot the messenger

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 25, 2013 06:14PM

People hate being lied to over and over again. Anger is a natural, understandable result.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.