Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mormon-0|Science-1 ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 11:42AM

Has anyone else accepted logic and reason and are atheist? For those who found Jesus elsewhere after Mormonism you're not needed here, but for any atheists please come out and chat.

Who else found atheism after mormonisn?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 11:44AM

I think there's room for all recovering mormons here. No need to be exclusionary. I am an atheist, but have no problem chatting with theists -- I'm married to one and love her greatly.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 06:21PM

Agreed and not all atheists are critical thinkers and many theists are. Just saying. Now I''ll leave you to congratulating yourselves on your brilliance

Posted by: Loyalexmo ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 06:23PM

This is true (the first part at least).

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 11:46AM

Are there atheist on this board? You must be new here. There are actually a high number of us who are, myself included. It seems to me that it is more common for ex-Mormons to become atheist, rather then a different type of theist, after they leave the church. This isn't always at once, but it seems we either come to the conclusion, or are on the road to doing so, more times then not. Second, there are a lot of ex-Mormon boards that specialize in hosting towards people who became Christian, but there doesn't seem to be a board that is just for atheist, since we probably don't feel a special need to seclude ourselves from ideas that might threaten our own. This last bit tends to create an over representation of atheist on this board.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2013 11:50AM by forbiddencokedrinker.

Posted by: judyblue ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 11:47AM

I'm sure what OP meant by "you're not needed here" was "kudos to you for finding something to make you happy, but I'm really interested in finding out about those who embraced atheism," right? ;)

Just trying to stop a fire before it starts.

Informal polls in the past have confirmed that a majority of active posters on this board are atheists, myself among them.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 11:51AM

Oh God, not the stupid atheist verses the dumb Christians again. Time to cut this debate off before it starts. Dogs are so much better then cats. Dogs rule while cats drool.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 11:57AM

Puppies don't scratch as much as kittens when you juggle them.

Posted by: judyblue ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 12:00PM

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 12:05PM

Here have some popcorn. I've got plenty :)

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 01:15PM

+1 ForbiddenCokeDrinker

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2013 01:16PM by Senoritalamanita.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 12:18PM

I hope the "you're not needed here" comment was meant for this thread only, not for the entire board. Anyone recovering from Mormonism should be welcome on this board.

Date: July 26, 2013 01:25PM

It was poorly phrased. Just for this thread. :-)

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 01:51PM

But also. It's always good to get answers from every side. That way lies insight, I have found.

Plus, I love the response below by "imaworkinonit". No need for overt putdowns, to be sure.

imaworkinonit said:
"...lively and unrestrained debate of the facts is the way to go, but avoid personal insults. It's hard enough to have your beliefs dismantled or attacked and people tend to take it a little personally. That said, the debate is super important."

Agree 100%. If you want to make a statement that stands alone, fine. If you want to encourage discussion, the attacks and putdowns have to be left aside.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 12:07PM

... I don't give a s**t.

Party on!

Timothy

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 12:18PM

In answer to your question, yes, there are lots of atheists here, and I'm one of them. I started doubting the existence of God when I started doubting Mormonism.

At first, I was agnostic, but over time I became more confident with the idea of no God, and realized that I had absolutely no belief that there was an invisible magic being out there with a narcissistic desire to be loved and worshiped.

There is a long history of atheist/theist wars here on the BB, and usually it's the believers who end up feeling disrespected or unwelcome.

My take on it is that lively and unrestrained debate of the facts is the way to go, but avoid personal insults. It's hard enough to have your beliefs dismantled or attacked and people tend to take it a little personally. That said, the debate is super important. I owe a lot to people on the board who helped me think this through.

Welcome to the board!

Date: July 26, 2013 01:21PM

I poorly phrased my intro there, but I'm looking for answers like yours. I've been on here for awhile and appreciate all the great input. Thanks for sharing!

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 01:00PM

I think you'll find that most of the posters here are atheist or agnostic. The ones who remained religious tend to be fairly open minded, with a less rigid interpretation of the Bible and religion.

Posted by: Puli ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 01:06PM

I prefer the term agnostic, but I've come to realize that agnosticism is just a form of atheism. The terms tend to evoke different reaction in others.

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 01:22PM

+1

When you tell a Christian you're atheist, they think you believe there is no god, so they usually respond asking you to "prove it." But what I think of, when I say I'm atheist, is that I don't believe in god, which is to say, I've seen no evidence that has convinced me that such a being exists.

I've used the example of space aliens before, and I think its a good one. I don't believe in space aliens, because I've seen no evidence that they exist. I realize that the universe is vast and that the possibility that aliens are out there is one that cannot be dismissed. And I think it is important that we keep looking, in case they really are out there. But, obviously, I'm not going to just believe in them when there is no evidence that they exist. That would just be silly.

I think that the distinction a lot of people draw between atheism and agnosticism doesn't actually exist. I call myself an agnostic atheist. Agnostic just refers to how sure you are of your position, while atheist just says that you don't believe in god. I think that all agnostics are atheists. Agnosticism means you don't know whether or not a god exists, which necessarily means you don't believe in one, which makes you an atheist.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 01:31PM

Actually, Agnostic means not only that you don't know, but that that it can not be known.

(responding to nickname)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2013 01:31PM by wine country girl.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 01:43PM

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 01:44PM

One is the loneliest number..

Posted by: elciz ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 01:45PM

My point.

Posted by: doubleb ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 01:49PM

I've accepted logic and reasoning. I'm an atheist. In fact, I'm an anti-theist. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that there is no god. Religion ... all religion .. is a farce.

If you're LDS and it's easy to accept that 99.9% of the world's population is full of it, then once you leave the LDS mind game, you recognize how easily manipulated individuals are. Logic and reason lead directly to "there is no god" and "god is a manufactured concept to assuage the anxiety of the human condition." That's it.

I left Mormonism after nearly 40 years. I recall reading Steve Benson's exit story shortly after I left and he quoted someone who pointed out how religion has in every case been the obstacle of improvement and progress in science, reason, healthcare, racial equality, income equality, etc. I pondered on that for some time and came to the conclusion that it's all bullsnot. It's any easy step.

And the liberation from the mindyank is unbelievably freeing...

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 01:57PM

You can choose reality or you can choose religion. I never thought about it once I left the church. One day out of the blue I just realized I was atheist--sort of when you get a great idea while showering. My only reaction was "Hmnnn-who woulda thought?!"

It was comforting, like suddenly being given a blank slate. Realizing you are atheist is like true baptism. You don't really have to go to hell for all the mistakes you made, you suddenly realize that they were valuable learning experiences to get you to your best self.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 01:59PM

I now only refer to myself as 'non-religious.'

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 02:19PM

I don't believe in any gods, so I'm an atheist..

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 02:23PM

Only crazy liberal god hating atheists that deep down inside know god lives but have let their anger and bitter hate consume them while they vote democrat to open the portal to hell.

Also, anyone who disagrees with me is insane.

Posted by: presbyterian ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 03:26PM

Like!

Posted by: confusedkim ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 02:35PM

I am atheist. When I started researching Mormonism I started researching all religion and realized I don't believe in any of it. I believe more in science and logic and what I can prove. I can not prove, nor can anyone else prove there is a god therefor I do not believe in god or any afterlife. I will believe it if I see it.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 03:03PM

+1

I believe Mankind has created myths throughout the ages, and even now continues to do so----take ole womanizer Joe. His imagination went wild not all that long ago.

Posted by: presbyterian ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 03:25PM

Now can I throw in an insulting comment about atheists? It happens all the time on theist threads.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 03:29PM

It happens and it shouldn't.

(wcg: an Atheist)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2013 05:48PM by wine country girl.

Posted by: Loyalexmo ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 06:13PM

Obviously you know this, but Christianity isn't the only religion. People (unfortunately, in most cases) find a lot of deities to worship besides Jesus.

I'm agnostic and pagan, but as for the technical/narrowest definition of "atheist," as in no deities/gods, I would say I'm an atheist.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 06:26PM

There are all sorts Christians too and many are not hell fire and brimstone,literalist, fire breathing Tea Partiers.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.