Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SLDrone ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 09:39PM

Since I resigned from the Church one of life's simple pleasures I've enjoyed is an occasional glass of wine or a beer with friends. I never really drink the whole bottle so often I open a bottle, have a couple of glasses and then end up wasting the rest. A friend told me I should try boxed wine because it keeps for a month.

So not knowing anything about it I went out and bought this box of Franzia "Chillable Red" because the box said it was the "worlds most popular wine". One sip and I'm a tea totaller all over again. I think I felt the Holy Ghost move within my bowels.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 10:00PM

You waste wine?! =:-O Blasphemy!

No sympathy from me for you and your bowels! :-P

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 10:11PM

Not so much the WoW mate, but it sounds like you got a hold of some right ole rot gut! Get better soon!

Posted by: Nevermo1 ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 10:26PM

Never Ever drink boxed wine.

Never Ever keep wine open for a month!

I would recommend a German Reisling wine.Or better still try a different drink like a strawberry daiquiri or a Baileys.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 11:10PM

People go on about lovely tannins in red wine. If I wanted tannins, I'd buy mulch. (and yes, I know the tannins come from the grape skins, not dead leaves. Same effect)

There are some decent boxed wines. Try a few. It's only money. If good stuff goes into the box, good stuff will come out. Wine makers are finally figuring out that glass is heavy and fragile, and bottles don't pack tightly - lots of air space. All of that makes it expensive to ship. Plus bottles are a pain to recork and have a short shelf life once opened. Plusses of bottles - keeps wine snobs from heckling, and looks better in restaurants. Glass bottled wine will eventually go the way of glass bottled Coke. Don't hold your breath waiting, however.

I used to not much care for Guinness, but I played in an Irish session band for 3 years. and the bar paid us in Guinness. It seemed rude to turn it down, and after a few years I came to like the stuff better than anything else. Repetition works.

Patience, practice,and don't expect too much. Though there is this exquisite Italian wine that gets its unique flavor by being filtered through hamster leather from the Tuscan highlands....

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: July 28, 2013 11:10AM

-->If I wanted tannins, I'd buy mulch<--

<snort>

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 11:51PM

SLDrone -- boxed wines can be hit and miss -- I have a Vella Sangria at home which is not bad, not great, but not bad.

Posted by: pigsinzen ( )
Date: July 28, 2013 12:04AM

Why wait a month?! Drink it all at once!

Posted by: 2+2=4 ( )
Date: July 28, 2013 12:08AM

You might try looking for Splits...smaller bottle...they are sometimes available...particularly champagne but sometimes wine as well...

Posted by: NoMollieMormon ( )
Date: July 28, 2013 12:34AM

Franzia is the boones farm of wine. Stick with a good Australian :)

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: July 28, 2013 11:15AM

I don't understand why you don't just stick a cork in it and drink the rest the next day? The difference in taste is negligible. They even make special tops for this purpose. Don't waste wine! THAT's a sin!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2013 11:16AM by wine country girl.

Posted by: mondaymorning ( )
Date: July 28, 2013 11:28AM

Drink the entire bottle of wine, It's good for you. Jesus did it.

Jesus must have been a serious party animal. Anyone who goes to a party and turns water into wine must've known how to have a good time.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: July 28, 2013 11:39AM

if it's open that long. (We're not crazy about it either at my house, and a month isn't that long for us, but we use it mostly for cooking).

Maybe have friends over next time you open a bottle We're available :-). Or try something else that keeps better, and doesn't taste fermented. Kahlua is wonderful (has a coffee flavor), and is great in chocolate shakes or with cream over ice. Flavored schnapps (apple mmmmm) are also yummy.

As far as wines, I prefer moscato (dessert wine) or reisling.

Posted by: flo, the nevermo ( )
Date: July 28, 2013 11:46AM

or similar product.

It's a gadget that you place on top of a partially finished bottle of wine, with which you pump out the most of the air. The gadget recorks the bottle (with a reusable 'cork' that's not actually made of cork). This allows the wine to last days longer in the bottle.

Search "vacuvin." It's less than $20.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.