Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: pewsitter ( )
Date: July 28, 2013 05:31PM

A TBM that worked for me was the clerk for the SP were I live. A new bishop in the stake (less than a year) had recently been replaced. The TBM (clerk) told me the reason the bishop had been released was because the new bishop had continued to over spend and waste church funds on helping those in need even after the SP told him to stop.

The bishop had used all the FO funds from his ward and also the FO funds the stake had. His checks were being covered by SLC and SLC was calling the SP about the money that was being spent in this one ward.

The bishop was released simply for doing his job and not watching the balance sheet. The balance sheet is way more important than people's needs.

What a Christian thing they did.

This ward sends SLC about $ one million dollars a year and there is not enough FO money to help those that pay it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: July 28, 2013 05:39PM

Hopefully this former bishop will see the light.

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: July 28, 2013 05:51PM

There are no ward or stake fast offering funds.

Yes, spending is tracked, and bishops and stake presidents can be "called out" for spending more than they collect, but all of the money written out in checks is "covered by SLC."

But your point is spot on. And what the heck, why isn't tithing used to help the poor. Oh, that's right, it's NOT to help the poor.

Cult.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2013 05:53PM by left4good.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: July 28, 2013 05:58PM

More Bishops on their way out should make that their legacy, even better Bishops that are still devout, but get the corporation angle of Mormonism and want it over.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: July 28, 2013 08:08PM

Tithing is not to help the poor. That is the purpose of fast offerings. When I was a "teacher" in the aaronic priesthood we used to go from house to house on fast sunday to collect fast offerings. Blue envelopes with yellow cards inside to record the amounts.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 29, 2013 12:31AM

I collected fast offerings with the blue fabric pouches and yellow cards.

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: July 28, 2013 08:19PM

THat is correct. Tithing is not for the poor. Tithing is for building temples, re-carpeting chapels on occasion, subsidizing BYU & CES, paying for the COB jobs, GA living stipends, and investing in real estate.

Fast Offerings are for helping the poor.

Posted by: runningyogi ( )
Date: July 29, 2013 12:18PM

Good for the Bishop. What faith he had that the well would be plentiful to help those in need.

Posted by: johngaltspeaking ( )
Date: July 29, 2013 12:22PM

Well.....

There's your sign.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.