Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: utahstateagnostics ( )
Date: July 30, 2013 01:25PM

Continued from http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,973748

So after this "speshul" meeting about apostasy in general, ending with a mention about us specifically, the SP admonishes the ward to not ostracize us or our kids because of how hard it must be to be a non-member in this community.

What happened afterwards is quite interesting as well. One of the ward members posted on Facebook,

"I had the privilege of sitting and hearing my stake president teach during a special Sunday school today. He taught an amazing lesson that I'm not soon going to forget. So grateful for inspired priesthood holders in my life."

Then one of the women of the ward who has always snubbed and ignored DW at ward gatherings/functions all of a sudden "likes" a bunch of things on DW's Facebook page.

They truly are a bunch of sheep, just obeying whatever their local penisholder tells them to do. It's funny that some of them weren't nice until they got the instructions to do so. You'd think that telling followers of Christ to be nice to people would be redundant, but I guess not.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: runtu ( )
Date: July 30, 2013 01:56PM

I will have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised that your SP encouraged people to be kind and neighborly to you. His presentation may have been an epic failure, but at least he isn't demonizing you.

A good friend of mine was the subject of a stake priesthood meeting after he left the church, and let's just say the leadership did not exactly encourage love and understanding.

Posted by: acerbic ( )
Date: July 30, 2013 02:28PM

In a way, he is demonizing them. After saying he is going to stand with Hinckley, Nibley, et al, then he says they have asked that their names be removed. And the admonition to be nice to them - more of the same.

It struck me as: be nice to these deluded people, they are worthy of your pity.

Date: July 30, 2013 02:28PM

Well, I'm just saying that, no matter his motive, he didn't go out of his way to tell people this couple is evil and should be shunned. That's what was done to my friend.

Posted by: stillburned ( )
Date: July 30, 2013 03:05PM

I think I'd prefer the shunning. In fact, as a Never-Mo who wishes his DW would formally resign, I look forward to the shunning.

Date: July 30, 2013 03:12PM

I wouldn't mind shunning at this point, but if I were in Utah, it might be a different story.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: July 31, 2013 02:58PM

Well what do expect? His job is to prop up the faith. He's not gonna go and tell the ward that the apostates are right.

Considering the circumstances, I think its about as good as we're gonna get.

Posted by: albertasaurus ( )
Date: July 30, 2013 02:14PM

I'm gonna go ahead and say that a man who is unable to convey his thoughts to the masses in a way that they can understand is not nearly as smart as they pretend to be. Anybody ever try to read hugh nibley? James talmage? Any apologist for that matter? Wtf?

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: July 31, 2013 02:42PM

Evasiveness does not lend itself to clarity.

Date: July 30, 2013 02:39PM

I wonder what would happen if you linked to the youtube audio of that stake president on FB? The sparks would fly!! I know I wouldn't have the guts. Hope they find it through another party.

Posted by: ketch ( )
Date: July 30, 2013 02:40PM

So, when is your spy going to be following you out? I noticed I know him from his youtube channel. I just moved out of his ward a few months ago but it would have been nice to know he was doubting as well while I was still attending! haha

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: July 30, 2013 03:11PM

Passive-aggressive shunning?

Is anyone in mormonism NOT putting up a facade? I've come to believe everyone is faking their true feelings. Wacky-doo!

Date: July 30, 2013 03:27PM

I take comfort that most of the folks were "faking" it. It means they weren't genuinely nuts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2013 03:27PM by crom.

Posted by: theGleep ( )
Date: July 30, 2013 05:22PM

Let me help clear up some confusion...here's the heart of what isn't making sense to you:

> ...followers of Christ

Check your premises!
ETA: Grr...I wanted this be indented under the post I was replying to. Oh, wait...I guess it did.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2013 05:23PM by theGleep.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: July 31, 2013 02:48PM

Video has been removed by user.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.