Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Carrots Tomatoes and Radishes ( )
Date: July 31, 2013 12:14PM

Or in other words "Don't wrestle with a pig. You both get dirty, and the pig likes it."

Edit: s4711 logged out also described it well as

"Don't try to argue with someone who doesn't understand the rules of engagement with respect to rational discourse (or whose interest is in argument and not coming to a knowledge of the truth, as it were)."

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2013 03:09PM by nickson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: snb ( )
Date: July 31, 2013 12:18PM

So, you are saying that someone who likes to argue is a pig? Socrates and the entirety of ancient and modern philosophy would disagree with you.

Posted by: tapirsaddle ( )
Date: July 31, 2013 12:27PM

There is a difference between someone who likes argument for the sake of debate and intellectual stimulation, and someone who likes to argue in order to cause tension and hostility.

Date: July 31, 2013 01:15PM

Unless someone is trying to intentionally troll someone else, I bet that this is more of a perceived problem, or perceived tone, than a real problem. I'm not saying that you are making this up, I'm just saying that it is nearly impossible to perceive someone's intentions. In most cases I bet people are arguing because it is mentally stimulating even if it seems like something else.

But, I'm just trying to be contradictory. I'm arguing purely for the sake of arguing in a thread that was started with the advice that we shouldn't argue. Crazy meta, right?

Date: July 31, 2013 01:44PM

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2013 03:03PM by nickson.

Date: July 31, 2013 02:10PM

Psst...mine was meant to be funny too.

Posted by: FormerLatterClimber nli ( )
Date: July 31, 2013 02:55PM

snb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Unless someone is trying to intentionally troll
> someone else, I bet that this is more of a
> perceived problem, or perceived tone, than a real
> problem. I'm not saying that you are making this
> up, I'm just saying that it is nearly impossible
> to perceive someone's intentions.

Since we don't have a specific reference, my first thought is to agree with you. It's hard to tell without an example of what the OP means. Perceiving tone and intentions through writing, and without a frame of reference is quite subjective.

Personally, I do have an actual troll, always here on Saturday, hating on me and making hostile, hateful, personal comments to me under an anonymous handle. I find it hilarious that this person hates me so much, someone they've never met, and yet, I've probably never given that person a second thought other than to think, "gee what a passive aggressive (word that rhymes with runt).

But there does seem to be a timid tone here, one that I think is left over from being Mormon. Debating is perceived as arguing. It's the whole 'avoid the spirit of contention" type of thinking. I believe that very concept is responsible for a lot of passive aggressive behavior that's left over from leaving the morg. The way I see debate is as long as it's conducted without personal insults, it's still a debate. IMO, when insults start flying, that's when it crosses over into an argument. Hint: the one who has been personally insulted in many cases, has won the debate; the opponent who doesn't have the big boy/girl words to express themselves, resorts to personal insults, showing themselves to be poor losers.

Date: July 31, 2013 03:18PM

I think that is a really good explanation of why we act sometimes the way we do.

Also, sorry about your passive-aggressive c*nt troll. :(

Posted by: SLDrone ( )
Date: July 31, 2013 01:19PM

Hard to define but you know it when you see it.

Date: July 31, 2013 01:51PM

Hahaha +1 :)

Date: July 31, 2013 02:10PM

I'm not sure if that was meant as an insult or as a joke. :/

Date: July 31, 2013 03:03PM

Idk, but either way, what you said was ironic and it was funny whether it was a joke or not, but you said it was a joke, so I'll go with saying it's a compliment :)

Date: July 31, 2013 03:06PM

Well, at least I thought I was being funny. :)

Posted by: s4711 logged out ( )
Date: July 31, 2013 12:23PM

Don't try to argue with someone who doesn't understand the rules of engagement with respect to rational discourse (or whose interest is in argument and not coming to a knowledge of the truth, as it were).

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: July 31, 2013 01:13PM

This is a better version

Date: July 31, 2013 01:17PM

It is a drastically different version too.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: July 31, 2013 03:40PM

Well, sometimes rational discourse does not end with coming to the truth, because perspective is relative. I'd rather end that sentence with "not learning anything." Even if you agree to disagree, you both learned something about the other's perspective or each other's truth, as it seems to you.

Also, irony is easy to define. It's a situation where the outcome is the opposite of what's expected. Rain on your wedding day is not ironic, it's just a crappy coincidence. The Gift of the Magi = irony. Alanis Morrisette song = mostly circumstance and coincidnce.

Posted by: s4711 logged out ( )
Date: July 31, 2013 03:52PM

Fair enough.

Of course, perspective may be relative but objective facts are not. With that said, I'm aware that plenty of (semi-)rational discourse is really about subjective matters--the trick is distinguishing the two.

Can an argument about a subjective question be said to be truly rational? I tend to think not.

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: July 31, 2013 02:13PM

Is this the right room for an argument?

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: July 31, 2013 02:37PM

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: July 31, 2013 02:43PM

Posted by: presbyterian ( )
Date: July 31, 2013 02:57PM

While visiting my fundie Fox news viewing brother, I sat with my laptop in my lap as he spouted forth about many subjects. Less than a minute on google revealed the truth many times.

Lead is magnetic.
Ozzie Osbourn is Australian.
Smallpox is rampant in the southern states.
Reagan did not sign the no fault divorce law in California in 1969.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: July 31, 2013 02:57PM

If you're yelling at an idiot, make sure he/she is not doing the same thing.

Date: July 31, 2013 03:07PM

Hahahaha!

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: July 31, 2013 03:57PM

The prime case of people who like to argue are those skilled in formal debate. They know the ropes of that form, and so even people who are complete liars and intellectual criminals like William Lane Craig can win, even though they are full of Sh!t.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: July 31, 2013 03:59PM

For argument's sake, I'm posting this:

Monty Python's Argument Clinic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y

:-)

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: July 31, 2013 04:45PM

Those are the best people to argue with. I especially enjoy arguing with people who don't care about the truth. It's like sharpening your sword.

Eventually you ARE going to be in a crowd, arguing with someone who just loves to argue, and it's a thrill to wipe the floor with them in front of their friends.

Just sayin'..

Date: July 31, 2013 05:07PM

No it isn't.

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: July 31, 2013 05:09PM

I worked for attorneys for over 25 years. Debate team winners -- all of them and very argumentative.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: July 31, 2013 05:14PM

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 01, 2013 07:08PM

Someone who likes to argue is a great target...and I very much winding them up. Great sport!

Ron Burr

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.