Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: exmo59 ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 12:41AM

Having raised cattle, I always envied the bull with his herd of many cows. (Of course, most bulls became steers)

I'm assuming that's how it would be in the CK - endless breeding to do.

That was actually the only thing I found attractive about the CK. So why are they downplaying that feature?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rd4jesus ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 12:43AM

It actually appealed to me when I was a member of TSCC. Now I think it's perverted and wrong. My wife is a TBM but agrees with me that polygamy is wrong. One wife is a big enough pain in the a** why would I want more?

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 12:43AM

> So why are they downplaying that feature?

Because unlike cows, humans have mothers-in-law. ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2013 12:58AM by spaghetti oh.

Posted by: mindog ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 05:14AM

So marry her too...

Posted by: idleswell ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 12:04PM

Mark Twain said that the natural penalty for having multiple wives was multiple mothers-in-law. Perhaps that is why Heber C. KImball advocated marrying sisters.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 12:18PM

The Kingstons solved this problem by repeatedly marrying their nieces.

Haven't you ever watched Sister Wives? Or the glamorized version, "Big Love"?

If you prefer reading, try "The Nineteenth Wife."

Anagrammy

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 12:45AM

Sleeping around with multiple women, and not only is it not adultery, it's ordained of God? No wonder it was popular with the men right up until it had to be dropped to avoid federal intervention.

Posted by: Loyalexmo ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 12:46AM

I would totally not mind having a harem of dykes.

(Kidding.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2013 08:52AM by woodsmoke.

Posted by: mandy ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 12:05PM

LoL.... no your not.

Posted by: moroniandcheesenotloggedin ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 12:52AM

The ratio of men to women is pretty even. If you want a chance of having a "bunch of cows", you have to take the (greater) risk of becoming one of the steers.

Besides, women are not cows. It certainly isn't appealing to most of us. And really, are you the sort of person that would enjoy sex with a bunch of women who have to stifle and or/fake every emotion towards you at all times just to get through it? Women who stare blankly at the ceiling while they are getting their celestial pounding, wishing they were somewhere else?

If so, get a few RealDolls, whatever floats your boat, yo.

Posted by: anon for now ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 12:59AM

You nailed it.
No matter who is involved, it's not a good idea. It's going to cause suffering for someone somewhere. There are good reasons why it's illegal.

Date: August 02, 2013 01:04AM

That there isn't the odd polygamist/polyandrous/polyamorous relationship out there that works, but it certainly doesn't work as a cultural norm or when one gender is uniformly guilted and cajoled into it.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 12:29PM

Date: August 02, 2013 01:08AM

The most visible of the polygamist sects look like a bunch of whackadoodles. TSCC wants to keep their distance.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 09:59AM

I was thinking the same thing recently:

How many of my partners were faking it?

Prolly most of them.

I wasn't a Cassanova....

Posted by: perceptual ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 01:00AM

I'd love polygamy, and I'd be just fine with polyandry if I didn't have to worry about disease or drama.

Date: August 02, 2013 01:07AM

Well, I didn't think women would like it, but they can't understand a guy.

Now some concerns raised are assuming things would work in the CK like they do here.

The ratio of men/women is pretty even in our earthly sphere, but I bet in the CK, there are extra women produced.

And I bet they don't have the usual earthly needs for an emotional connection as regards sex - they just want to have as many children as possible.

As for multiple wives being "too much trouble", I mean, we're talking the Celestial Kingdom here folks! Endless time and resources! Street paved with gold!

Those guys claiming they wouldn't like it are lying.

Date: August 02, 2013 01:14AM

It sounds like a frontal lobotomy is required for Celestial Bliss (tm). To be a nameless, souless, baby producing automaton for eternity? Oh gee, yes please!

Really though, they distance themselves because of the weirdness factor. If the church embraced polygamy, but didn't take ridiculous measures to control the women (like fundie sects do now) you'd end up with a complete sausage fest of a religion and nobody would be getting any.

Date: August 02, 2013 12:12PM

Some women may prefer polygamy because any woman can then choose from all men - not just other women's "discards."

At a Church social many years ago a sister ~30 years older than me said that she hoped polygamy could return. She would choose me for her husband. I replied that under polygamy she could choose any man she wanted. She said she would still choose me because I was "extra spiritual."

There will always be women attracted to rock stars and other alpha males.

Date: August 02, 2013 12:22PM

Date: August 02, 2013 12:28PM

Sorry, rock star/alpha, the women choose the wives in actual polygamy. A man bringing another wife into the family without the permission of the first wife, and possibly even a sustaining consensus, would not have to worry about the CK because he will have created hell on earth.

I saw this first hand when I was investigating the Allred sect and taking the missionary lessons. The wives were courting me, not the husband. They were trying to "sell" me on their husband.

Another family liked me and they kept trying to cajole their husband to come sit by me. (I had money then and was older). As flattering as the attention was, I found out later the really big draw was not my sparkling personality, but rather that I would only get to sleep with the polygamous husband once, to solidify the bond of marriage, because his energy had to be saved for the 19-year olds who were fertile.

Real polygamy is not about the sex. In fact, I saw wives giving other wives their nights with the husband as acts of love following the death of a child.

The young women who were not pregnant got more nights than the wives raising children. And infertile women got none.

That's just what I saw as a guest/investigator.

Anagrammy

Date: August 02, 2013 12:38PM

It matters what adults choose when it affects children and we see "the fruits" of polygamy quite clearly after all these years.

Sexual abuse

Physical abuse

Incest

Trading of women/children like cattle

Lost boys

Unreported births

Unreported deaths/mysterious infant deaths

Disappeared ones

We see constant violations of human rights as the norms in the isolated polygamous communities. Are you actually suggesting that this is desirable?

And don't say "If people choose it freely" because it is very clear these women face extraordinary sanctions if they choose to leave, such as giving up their children.

Anagrammy

Posted by: Hikergrl ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 01:26PM

Not about sex? Really? If it was about love and closeness don't you think there would be sex for all? Please clarify.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 01:14AM

I think lying is strong. I don't equate polygyny with my most base sexual appetites.

Date: August 02, 2013 01:16AM

That the whole thing was built around a dude's ego/sexual fantasy.

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 09:27AM

"Hasn't that theory where women are better suited to monogamy ever struck you as a little bit too convenient and comforting for men?"

-Daniel Bergner, author of "What Do Women Want?" explaining that when it comes to sex, monogamy may be much more of a problem for women than for men.

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/427037/june-11-2013/daniel-bergner

Colbert's reaction does not disappoint.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2013 09:27AM by Surrender Dorothy.

Posted by: Lilith ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 10:45AM

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 09:23AM

exmo59 Wrote, in part:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The ratio of men/women is pretty even in our
> earthly sphere, but I bet in the CK, there are
> extra women produced.
>
> And I bet they don't have the usual earthly needs
> for an emotional connection as regards sex - they
> just want to have as many children as possible.
==============================
Oh, ⱣØ؆!
How would you know what women want?
Contrary to your opinion-or do you "know" it like a Mo?- women are
people, and many of us do regard ourselves as something other than incubators!

Date: August 02, 2013 12:10PM

And think women need to like whatever fantasy turns you on? LOL!

Posted by: Anon for now ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 01:23AM

I don't give a rats ass how the men or the women involved think and feel about the situation. As far as I'm concerned they can have their twisted relationships until the day they die. I don't care how many of them are living in that insanity.

It's the kids that are dragged into it with NO say that I care about.

If the plgs. all went and had themselves sterilized and didn't bring kids into it, I would say have at it! I could care less.

It's when they start dragging children into their wacko thinking that I have a problem. IMO every child that's born into that situation should be taken away and put up for adoption.

Posted by: Anonymity ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 02:55AM

+1 Thank you.

OP, only a misogynist would actually enjoy a scenario like this where several women have to share a man with no thought to how it affects them.

Furthermore, why is it that some men think that polyandry is such a big deal, but polygamy is just 'no big deal.' So it's OK for women to have to share, but God forbid if the man has to share and hurt his poor little ego. In short, OP, you suck, Sir. And that goes for anyone who agrees with you as well.

Posted by: Anonymity.2 ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 05:22AM

Why do you want to dictate how other people define their relationships? If adults find that polygamy is the appropriate way to demonstrate and experience their love for one another, how does it hurt you? Nobody's forcing you to enter into such a relationship.

To use your own words, your attitude certainly "sucks."

Posted by: Anonymity ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 10:40AM

I never said I wanted to DICKtate anything. It's called reading comprehension, genius. Let me see. I said: "Only a misogynist would think this was a good idea fo several women to share a man +++with no thought to how it affects them+++"

Let me put it another way: a woman that would agree to this is either brainwashed to the hilt or has no self worth. A very small percentage would actually find enjoyment in such an arrangement. In fact, let's find out, shall we? Hey gals, anyone think this is a good idea? And no male puppets!

Anyway, "anonymity2" what about polyandry? You gonna use the same straw man about disease & drama LOL?

I still think you suck. °.°

Posted by: Anon for this ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 12:56PM

I am not the OP but let me reply to you. I wish my wife were willing to take other lovers or husbands. I would be fine with that. Honestly she has the stanama to do it and i dont have the stanama to please her. Life would be allot easier if she did!

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 11:04AM

Always sounded too much like the puppy mill to me!

Yup, I was big-time puppy-mill stud. I had several dozen ladies who did nothing but crank out babies- puppies- for me. Of course it wasn't for me... it was for greedy thoughtless people. If you coulda seen the life we had. NONE of us ever got any love, any friends, any nuthin. I'm sure plyg-people have it cleaner but it sure don't seem to this old dog to be about love or caring, just about some weird points in some weird kingdom with some weird deity and some prophet fella with the hot pants.

Posted by: Anon-for-this ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 12:03PM

Anonymity.2 Wrote:
----------------------------------------
>
> To use your own words, your attitude certainly
> "sucks."

LOL that's funny I was thinking the same thing about you. If you're expecting the women here to "keep sweet" (read stuff our feelings about misogyny), then you're in the wrong place, dude.
Claiming someone is a dictator just because polygamy = misogyny, and they express it as such, getting all huffy shows your bad attitude, not ours.

Posted by: excatholic ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 06:12AM

Only the worst misogynists could possibly think this is a good idea.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2013 06:13AM by excatholic.

Date: August 02, 2013 05:13AM

I don't mind using my name to say keep the kids out of it.

Posted by: Anonymity.2 ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 05:15AM

Isn't it better for a child to be raised in a loving, caring polygamist relationship, than to be raised unwanted in a cruel, abusive monogamous or single-parent situation?

Date: August 02, 2013 06:16AM

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 10:37AM

I guess that overwhelming evidence that polygamy is harmful to women and children should just be damned. It sure as hell doesn't have to be the way it is, but high-minded ideals don't help real people.

Posted by: Cowardly lion ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 03:59AM

MY EX & both my tbm bros do! Theyre all waitin for the day! I told on sib. sharing my husband w/other women (& having millions of babies) doesnt sound like heaven to me!! (that really p%@@ him off). I think its obivious why they dont talk about it! IT SHOWS What egosticall, arogant,SOBs they are!! Few women would go along w/it.(Youd probably have to fight over them).And tenderhearted men couldnt go threw it! IMO,if its real I go to a lower kingdome and be w/nicer.kinder more conciderate people!!!

Posted by: presbyterian ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 05:08AM

When I had small kids, lots of the other moms and I agreed having another "wife" to share the workload with would be great! We didn't quite figure out the husband-sharing part though.

Date: August 02, 2013 12:16PM

Plus, polygamy gave women an option for careers long before it became popular in society. During polygamy Utah led the country in female physicians.

Date: August 02, 2013 12:19PM

"Female physicians" yeah right..... show me they were anything but self proclaimed midwives.

Date: August 02, 2013 12:27PM

Caring for the sick and afflicted was one more responsibility along with laundry, cooking, cleaning, sewing, gardening and canning, all unpaid and underappreciated tasks.

Date: August 02, 2013 08:53AM

The way you phrased this is so massively creepy that I hope you're joking. Cows? Really?

Posted by: passing through ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 09:59AM

But would he think more of taking a new wife than he would of buying a heifer?

LOL, Be careful of what u wish for, dude. When women live in proximity their monthly cycles can sync up. I have earned the nickname Shelob for my PMS temperament--you know, the giant tarantula that tried to eat Frodo in Lord of the Rings?

I have always wondered whether the vast amount of untimely female deaths with vague symptoms in the UT polygamist days were really "exhaustion", "fever", "weak feminine humors" or "consumption" were really caused by germs, cancer and hard living, or if a certain number of them weren't helped out of the world under the arsenic laced guise of sisterwife "TLC". Ditto all those poor children who died of "appendicitis" and "bowel flux".

I think if polygamy became the standard today there would be a spike in the homicide rate and women's prison population.

Date: August 02, 2013 12:07PM

Hows them black eyed peas Earl?

Date: August 02, 2013 10:06AM

LOL. One Muslim friend I had told me that some Muslims don't believe that polygyny is actually allowed in their religion because the Koran (this is just what he said, don't quote me on this) says that you can only take more than one wife if you can treat all of them equally, and that many people don't believe that is at all possible, to the point that they believe it is indirectly forbidding polygyny. It's an interesting perspective.

In that vein, I'd say that if you can find a whole bunch of stable, educated, financially independent women who are actually CHOOSING to be polygynous, have other options but are choosing this one, and want to live in a society where it doesn't go both ways/is generally polyamorous, but where only women are "sister wives" to a few men at the top (looks, power, mental stability, and money wise), and there is no polyandry or equality between the sexes, and they are all totally content to share you, AND you somehow become one of those select few men at the top who gets to have any wives at all, and you can support all of them and all your children without going into debt, and none of them ever divorce you...I'd say go for it. Have at it!

Never gonna happen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2013 10:07AM by woodsmoke.

Date: August 02, 2013 10:21AM

The problem here is that people are comparing earthly polygamy and its associated problems with celestial polygamy.

I asked my TBM sister if she was looking forward to polygamy in the CK, and she struggled to say that now she wouldn't like it, but we don't understand all things in the hereafter, so it will be different.

As moroni* said:

"That the whole thing was built around a dude's ego/sexual fantasy."

This is it. The guys can't tell me they wouldn't want to spend a good part of eternity breeding. It is much of what defines a man.

I often think Joseph Smith spent a lot of time laughing at the poor schmucks he got to buy into this, while he got plenty of tail.

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 12:51PM

You don't mean breeding, you mean fucking.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 12:13PM

No. Because the church took something beautiful, like having sex with lots of women, and ruined it, by crapping Mormonism all over it. I mean, look at the pictures of those sister wives in Arizona, with their frumpy outfits, disgusting hair styles, and ugly ass underwear. Do not want.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2013 12:14PM by forbiddencokedrinker.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 12:52PM

forbiddencokedrinker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No. Because the church took something beautiful,
> like having sex with lots of women, and ruined it,
> by crapping Mormonism all over it. I mean, look
> at the pictures of those sister wives in Arizona,
> with their frumpy outfits, disgusting hair styles,
> and ugly ass underwear. Do not want.
=============================
"Something beautiful" huh? Treating women as objects to
be collected and used only for sex and to feel like some sort
of potentate is beautiful??

And your only objection is the 'ugly' clothes and hair styles?
So it would be fine if they all dressed like Kartrashians?

:-(

Posted by: Anon-for-this ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 01:39PM

FCD proves himself to be a misogynist here. Just look at his shallow remarks. Add to that his ridiculous American-boy obsession with Eastern Europian women because of how they look, never mind that his Russian ex wife was a total bitch (according to him), and you have a thinly veiled misogynist. Isn't he single? No offense meant here, but, being a Shallow Hal like that could be a contributing factor. Just trying to help.

FCD, you're not as funny as you think you are sweetie -- if that was even meant as a joke. As you can see, many of us are not amused (even offended), and I consider myself to have a great sense of humor. Hint: if we're not both laughing, you're doing it wrong.

Date: August 02, 2013 12:15PM

Yeah.... cause thats why its not good... the outfits.....

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 12:18PM

It appealed to me when I was younger, but now after 27 years of marriage, I think being a eunuch might be the better choice. Haha.

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 01:42PM

drilldoc,

Somehow your monikor "drilldoc" and the word eunuch seem to be diametrically opposed.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.