Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anonymousgirly ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 01:26AM

Every thing I heard on the boards is pretty much true. Lots of pauses for effect, more emotion, same words. Adam and Eve cry when partaking. No one recognizable, Satan could have been Michael Ballams son. Sorry, in my car outside the temple now.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: perceptual ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 01:42AM

The new temple video?

What are they doing in the temple now? Is it just as boring as the video? Even if I were a true believer I don't think I could have stood the ceremony.

Posted by: jazzskeeter ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 01:44AM

More pauses???? How is that even possible? It was already THE slowest most boring repetitive movie ever made.

Posted by: anon for now ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 01:53AM

Are you in Utah? Just curious if all of the Temples got the new video at the same time, or just some areas for now.

Posted by: Henry ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 08:47AM

Posted by: anon for now ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 01:53AM

I'm so sorry you had to spend a part of your day doing this.

At the same time, i'm so grateful for your report back. As an exmo, it's interesting to hear how they are gently and subtly trying to manipulate temple goers.

Date: August 02, 2013 01:57AM

Seabiscuit- not in Utah, kinda scared to give my exact location
Anon for now- I'm all about taking one for the team. Its all good!

Date: August 02, 2013 02:31AM

Jazzskeeter, yes, more pauses. Lots of drama. Instead of everyone just giving lines in monotone, they put a little acting into it.

Date: August 02, 2013 02:33AM

Perceptual...its the same old, same old with different folks playing the parts. The kid playing Satan did make me jump a bit twice, in spite of me almost knowing all the dialogue. They made him kinda spooky.

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 03:04AM

And I continue to say, what the heck does Satan have to do as a character in the "supposedly" most sacred holy place on earth? Especially when Mormon theology teaches he is the "enemy" to all righteousness. Why would God want to give him a staring role in His holy temple?

And yet Satan is the dude that every TBMer listens to because he uses fear tactics that if they don't live up to every covenant they make then they will be in his power. Not even TBMers get the creepiness of Lucifer in the most Mormonly sacred place on earth!

Date: August 02, 2013 03:09AM

So true... nothing about being a better person or helping your fellow man. Just sacrifice and consecrate your life to the church. Whiskey tango foxtrot.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 10:09AM

Girly,

Please tell me they served popcorn at the premiere...

Date: August 02, 2013 02:17PM

LOL! Sadly, I was craving a nice bowl during the movie!

Date: August 02, 2013 04:26PM

I just went to famousmormons.net...if Satan isn't played by Corbin Allred it's someone who sure looks like him!!
*bear in mind this is from memory of last night, the ol' noggin ain't what she used to be!

Date: August 02, 2013 04:29PM

Anyone know if Corbin has a largeish mole on his right cheek? The imdb picture only shows from the left...

Posted by: Hugh ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 02:25PM

Oh very good point. They could recite what said would say via a 3rd party, but Noooooo, they want to scare the bejesus out of the listener. Starting role indeed...

Posted by: Awake In Tucson ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 12:00PM

It would've been cool if they CGIed something like Bilbo Baggins when he lunged for the ring and his eyes turned black and they put that in when Satan was cast out.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 02:37AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q6brMrFw0E

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2013 02:38AM by steve benson.

Date: August 02, 2013 02:50AM

Haha! Love it, Steve! I am a fan of yours, by the way!

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 08:48AM

I'd go back if the film started out "Long ago, in a galaxy far away...."

Re Satan: What if the billing says "Satan.... as himself"

THAT would be spooky!

Posted by: s4711 logged out ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 10:09AM

They cry now?

So did they cry or didn't they?

For the portion of members (I was one of them, sad to say) who take this stuff literally, how are they going to react to these changes. Or will they care? Probably not...

Stupid.

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 11:21AM

... that if Adam and Eve CRY ... well, the membership will just KNOW it is TWUE!!!

Amen (sniff, sniff)

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 11:39AM

Usually this deceptive church makes a change for reasons it does not disclose, while pointing to something irrelevant, like changing the color of the sky.

I'm interested to know if any of the offensive text was changed.

For example, to me the scariest part was not that Satan is in the Garden of Eden (because the Bible teaches that and we're used to it), but rather that he gives commands that the audience obeys!

Seemed to me like we doing his bidding already.

Anagrammy

Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 11:51AM

Maybe _that's_ the whole purpose of the endowment. You know how they're all like "go back often, it is so full of meaning that there is always something to learn." Maybe the end goal is for everyone to realize that Satan is giving the orders and to walk-out mid-session as a stand against Satan. ;)

Oh, and the first time I tried to post this, my browser freaked out and closed on me. I know that was Satan's way of trying to stop me from sharing the truth of my realization, innanameofmumblemumble amen.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpack ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 11:45AM

Here's a question: how old is Satan in the movie? Certainly not a young guy like you'd expect Jesus' brother would be; no, older, world-wise and evil, but somehow has that power-is-attractive demeanor, like a James Bond villain right?

Date: August 02, 2013 02:15PM

He is young ish...very dramatic. No Shakespearean flair but other than that could have been Michael Ballams son.
He knelt in front of Eve when offering the fruit.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 11:46AM

The crying part reminds me of reading that when the Hinkster ordered the new recruiting movie for the JS Building he told those in charge of making the movie that he didn't want a dry eye among the people as they were leaving. Yep folks, that is what makes a quality movie.

Posted by: Cokeisoknowdrinker ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 11:49AM

presleynfactsrock Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The crying part reminds me of reading that when
> the Hinkster ordered the new recruiting movie for
> the JS Building he told those in charge of making
> the movie that he didn't want a dry eye among the
> people as they were leaving. Yep folks, that is
> what makes a quality movie.

maybe they should have a old devoted dog die at the end

with a Marley and me type ending... I cried

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 11:50AM

Like the GAs at conference: "Talk, whine, talk slowly like thick molasses, cry a little, wipe an eye, pretend to cry more, whine, whine, act noble and worthy, talk like an old record bellowing Jesus' and Joe's names on slow speed . . . ."

Posted by: anonow ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 11:55AM

they need more time to dub in translations for other languages which can take a little more time to say the same things. I know that to be the case with German.

Posted by: Cali Sally ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 11:56AM

This why I keep coming to RfM. I love hearing all the latest gossip on LDS, Inc. lol

Posted by: The other Sofia ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 02:25PM

It drives some of my TBM relatives crazy when I just casually drop little nuggets into the conversation about the latest changes in the temple or Monson's dementia. Things they don't know. Or just learned and don't like me talking about. Btw, the new temple film was all the talk at Relief Society in Southern California among TBM's according to reports I've heard. The women ate up the emotion crap. Only a few had seen it, but they loved the emotional scenes. I think they saw it in the San Diego temple.

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 04:43PM

So I'm late to the party here, but...what's the rationale for a new temple movie? Yes, it has been over 20 years since the last new one, but did they change anything major other than different actors? Have too many of the actors from the previous versions left the church, making photoshopping impossible?

Also, the doctrinal problems with Adam and Eve crying as they partake are legion.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 04:45PM

What about the planned new covenant where the members all swear to only shop at stores and malls owned by Jesus, when those are available?

Posted by: reinventinggrace ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 05:02PM

I think having Adam and Eve cry is going to be a big hit. I'd expect to hear veiled references to it scattered through all the 3 hour block if I was a churchgoer.

Today's youth will hear their leaders come to tears when describing how much better The Temple is now. That it's a whole nuther experience.

& when the youth find out, one way or another, that its just because Eve and Adam cried, well, I hope they run for the exits...

RG

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 09:08AM

Oh dear Lard . . . 12 more minutes?!

I could hardly get through the old session without almost peeing in my garments! Who on EARTH can hold it through an entire session now?

;o)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2013 09:08AM by shannon.

Posted by: mandy ( )
Date: August 02, 2013 11:42AM

Lol. No doubt, and all those poor elderly people. They must be wearing depends as part of their temple attire.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.