Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SMyth Buster ( )
Date: August 03, 2013 12:45AM

This forum seems obsessed lately with talk of the "second anointing" as if that was actually a real thing with validity. It's just mumbo jumbo folks. Why is it being taken seriously?

Joseph Smith had himself anointed King of the World, but they shot his sorry ass. BFD it's just psychotic con men playing their games. We all realize no one is going to "heaven" right?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: deco ( )
Date: August 03, 2013 12:48AM

It is not the actual ceremony, rather the methods used for who is chosen and determined to get the ceremony performed on them.

It seems to have less to do with the worthiness and christlike deeds a person has done, and more to do with their financial affluence.

If more of the unwashed LDS masses were aware that this ritual exists, and they were not worthy of it because their balance sheet was not bug enough, it could have real repercussions for LDS Inc.

Posted by: SLDrone ( )
Date: August 03, 2013 01:12AM

It's a pretty poorly kept secret. I think most Salt Lake "Temple Worthy" Mormons have stood gazing at the door to the "Holy of Holies" in the Salt Lake Celestial room and heard the stories of the personal invitation that comes from the prophet himself.

It's amazing what we can convince ourselves of when we are properly prepared and eased into it. You have to hand it to Mormons, they have really got brainwashing and manipulation down to a fine science.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: August 03, 2013 01:10AM

according to "anointedone"...It's not mumbo jumbo but a real thing. Search his posts and the archives. His post about the 2nd anointing is interesting..

Date: August 03, 2013 01:17AM

but what do you mean it's a real thing? You believe that as long as the recipient doesn't sin against the holy ghost that is commit murder that he is bound up to obtain celestial glory after a period of time of agony and torture in hell to pay for his own sins?

That's the doctrine. I call that mumbo jumbo I think. But then looking back, it's really no more bizarre than anything else in Mormondom.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: August 03, 2013 07:08AM

Oh I thought you meant that "they" don't do a 2nd anointing for a select few...You're right, it means nothing.

The issue here is that with exmos TALKING about this stuff hopefully lurkers will read these posts (and they do) then investigate for themselves..

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 03, 2013 01:25AM

I don't even know what the first anointing is about...

Ron Burr

Date: August 03, 2013 01:29AM

Oh that's the part where old people naked touch young people, more or less.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2013 01:30AM by SLDrone.

Posted by: JasonK ( )
Date: August 03, 2013 01:35AM

Speaking just for myself, despite growing up in a very Mormon home, the temple was kept very vague. It was where you got married. That it was essential for salvation was glossed over until I was in my mid-to-late teens and even then much less was said than even the official church statements say now.

I heard rumors of a second annointing and it sounded fishy to me. In my late teens/early twenties it was immediately apparent that it would give license for someone to do anything. I didn't see the importance of that realization until now.

By having their "calling and election made sure" the apostles can literally do anything they want except deny the holy ghost and get away with it. They can lie to the press, as Hinkley and several apostles have done, without any guilt or requiring repentence. They can commit adultery, steal, embezzle money, you name it. Even if they do not do so, it is corruption.

In addition, it violates what little there is of Mormon dogma; namely that we will be judged by Jesus, not by our fellow man. Finally, it furthers the division between the insiders, who can do what they please, and everyone else--a corruption that eventually infects most, if not all, organizations.

Posted by: 7 ( )
Date: August 03, 2013 01:54AM

It's a huge deal, both in drawing the line between insiders and outsiders and in facilitating official lying. My belief is that it started because Joseph wanted to commit the polygamists to secrecy and to make them feel okay about any possible wrongdoing, including adultery and Danite stuff. That has changed since then, but I'm pretty sure that it plays a role in the lying and coverups that so trouble us all.

I don't agree with SLDrone (a rare event) that everyone knows about it. I think the vast majority of Mormons were ignorant of it until it started appearing on the internet (McConkie et al. wrote a lot of that stuff in cryptic terms). Most people thought the Holy of Holies was for the prophet to talk to Jesus, not for second anointings, which they didn't know about. Even today, in my opinion, most Mormons don't know about it.

The other thing that is interesting is, as JasonK says, that the second anointing is anti-Christian. On the one hand men, rather than Jesus, get to decide who is exalted, and on the other hand there are some sins that are not covered by the Atonement and require blood sacrifice. It seems to me that Mormonism has taken some of Christ's powers on both ends of the spectrum: salvation and damnation. Just like God and Nephites are pushed into ever tinier gaps between the findings of science, so too is Jesus pushed into a smaller and smaller box.

Date: August 03, 2013 06:08PM

I just always knew about it and assumed everyone did. I don't even remember how I first learned about it. Then again I grew up in a pretty fundamental McConkiesque home. My Father was into that garbage hook line and sinker.

In fact looking back, my father had no other interest except Mormon Dogma, which probably explains why the rest of his life, which peaked at being a bishop, was mostly a failure.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2013 06:11PM by SLDrone.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: August 03, 2013 01:39AM

In general there is a lot of interest on this board that illustrate:

a - the LDS church is a crock
b- the LDS church is a cult

The 2nd annointing illustrates both of these.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: August 03, 2013 08:14AM

I think that ordinary mormons imagine their society to be rather egalitarian and classless. The existence of the Second Anointing (really a mormon merit-badge) demonstrates that there are privileges to be had in LDS land, something to keep the really special people feeling really special.

Eventually the "ordinance" will have been bestowed once too often, and it won't feel so special any more.

Hence, the "Third Anointing" will need to be instituted for the really, really special people, otherwise they might feel a tad needy.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: August 03, 2013 09:16AM

What I think is the worst part is that they work the temple endowment up into such a huge thing, but we should have all paid closer attention to the part where they say, "...the day may come in which you will be called up and anointed kings and queens, priests and priestesses..." They are talking about the 2nd anointing, which is really how you are "exalted." And remember, "exaltation" is Mormons' "salvation." So, if you do not get the 2nd anointing, you will ultimately not be saved in Christ, and being saved in Christ is the reason Christians practice the damn religion in the first place.

It also is a guy or guys putting names forward for salvation, and once anointed, the individuals are stuck going to heaven, and their salvation made sure. This ultimately means that one is dictating to God: "Hey, suck it, God! We gave this guy his Second Anointing, and there ain't nothin' you can do about it!"

They put forward whomever they want to put forward for it, and names are suggested by others who have had the ordinance. It's salvation by cronyism and nepotism. It's an insult to all hard-working Mormons, but they are so ignorant of their own religion that many don't even know about the Second Endowment/Second Anointing/having one's calling and election made sure/receiving the Second Comforter, even though advertisements for it are pasted all over the D&C, as well as writings and talks by the leaders.

I'm not so sure I want to be stuck with some of these people in the hereafter, anyhow. Of the ten or so people I've known who likely received it, I don't approve of any of them as friends. And it makes Mormons cocksure of themselves, making them more arrogant as ever. It's stuff like this that cause people like Ann Romney not to wear her garments. I mean, if God is finished judging you, and your exaltation assured, why not? You can do virtually anything you'd like and still make it.

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: August 03, 2013 07:44PM

It's another missing piece of MORmON puzzle, one that LDS INC denied was there, one that should have been there but wasn't because LDS INC kept it in their pocket because it was so embarrassing. It's a piece of the puzzle that more fully defines Joe Smith as a self important blasphemer. Its not fascinating because its a valid concept. It's fascinating because it more fully defines MORmON blasphemy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2013 07:46PM by lucky.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.