Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rowell back ( )
Date: August 04, 2013 10:21PM

Considering there are a million better things the church could have done to the temple movie and over all temple experience, they seemd to have failed miserably in this remake. So let's discuss why the temple movie changed.

Was it the results of another survey or a focus group or reacting to complaints?

The church doesn't just make changes unless there is a reason. So what is the real reason?

Are they infusing the members with a sense of excitement around the otherwise dull and boring endowment? What better way to increase temple attendance? Change the movie.

Are they pandering to the women to take out any feelings that women are inferior as a result of Eve?

Are they hearing the loud cries of boredom oozing from the temple chapel pews?

Are they reacting to low temple attendance numbers?

Are they extending the session to reduce the over all number of sessions possible in a day to create a sense of busy? Sorry brother and sister Jones, we have to turn you away, the temple is completely full today?

Are they packing the emotional punch and playing up to emotions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: August 04, 2013 10:24PM

It was boring and the actors were wooden. When Satan is the only interesting character in the movie, something's gotta change.

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 10:29AM

Even in the live session, Satan is the only interesting character.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: August 04, 2013 11:02PM

I think all your reasons are good possibilities - especially combined with the fact that the last all new movie was over 20 years ago. Of course, they did the one with the blonde Eve after that - 1994 I think. But it was exactly the same - just less appealing actors/actresses IMO. Maybe they made a new movie just because. The way people trade in a perfectly good car because they want something newer and have the money to get it.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 09:36PM

The blonde was a "bleached blonde" and you could see the roots!

Posted by: siobhan ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 01:22AM

will never see any of them in the temple. thought it was funny that Adam in the one I've seen in the monty python version looks like Mitt Romney 20 years before the election.

Posted by: reinventinggrace ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 02:04AM

Biggest reason is that the old flick was OLD.

They had to shoot a new one in high rez, that didnt have those corny B-movie style pillars in heaven where God and Jesus hung out.

Second biggest reason was to jazz up the acting. I'm sure the apostles have to watch that flick all the time (they do, don't they?) and some of them must be clued in enough to know that satan was the most appealing one of the lot.

Third, to re-brand the program. Make Adam cry. Get with the times and all. Give the sheep something to bleat about.

RG

Posted by: runningyogi ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 07:30AM

Why have a movie at all? Why have actors? Put a charismatic speaker in a white robe with Long Gray Hair in front of a room and have it read from Golden Plates. Better then that, pull people out of the congregation and let them play the parts reading from prompt o cards?! Charge $5 for Soda and $5 for Popcorn. Just sayin

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 07:50AM

I say ROI

Think about it, it cost how much to make the new movie? Free actors, free directors, some paid costumer and a hair stylist/make up girl. They had to buy new equipment and all, but then distribution is all digital. So how much would a new film cost? How many sheep are going to renew their temple tickets by giving 10%++++?

What's the return on investment? After this we can expect a new movie every 5-8 years.

Posted by: redkoolaidmonster ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 07:59AM

I think it had to do with updating it to make the movie more appealing to younger generations who have high expectations about movie quality. Movies have come a long way in the last few decades. Acting, effects, production design are all so much improved. Ever try to show teens some good older movies? They usually have looks of "What IS this crap?"on their faces.

The church is doing everything it can to lock in the younger generations.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 08:23AM

I think it was an attempt to win over more women by not having Eve appear as the stupid and naive girl she is in the originals. In this one, I guess they really work it over in their heads and stuff, and then tearfully partake. Women aren't being cast as the sex that makes bad decisions and causes the world to change for bad.

Of course, they are still saying that mankind began with a literal Adam and Eve, which is ruinous to the religion due to the stupidity of it all.

Posted by: Cowardly lion ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 08:31AM

Gawd!THEY MADE IT LONGER?!? Its like they just cant punish people enough. First the block mtgs. now this! ACK!!!

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 10:21AM

I know, right?

As I stated in a previous thread, I nearly peed my garments every time during the old temple endowment session because I could barely hold it in that long. Now that the the movie is *12 minutes longer*, I'm sure I'd never make it. I feel sorry for young pregnant moms and old ladies with bladder issues.

OBVIOUSLY, the "Brethren" didn't think this one through! I predict this will become a problem. A serious, SERIOUS problem!!! What were the Big 15 thinking?!

<snicker>

;o)

Posted by: Erick ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 08:44AM

Since I have no plans on going, I can only guess. I'm placing my bets with those who are suggesting that is simply to update and modernize. It's a small way to try and connect with a younger population that the Church is trying to attract and retain. They're hoping they can get them to connect better with the temple experience, nothing more.

Of course, if that's true it say's a lot about the Church, i.e., that the biggest concern the "Brethren" have about an artifact that is supposedly directly connected to ordinances of Salvation, is how well it brands!

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 10:51AM

I have it on good authority deep within the structure of LDS inc (my brain) that the primary impetus was Fred Hunting. Mr Hunting bravely came out during the Prop 8 fiasco, LDS inc's response was to first CGI a new actor's head on to Mr Hunting and second to pull the film from rotation. This provided LDS inc and their legendary money management gurus to make a new movie.

Any other reason for the new movie is ancillary.

Posted by: anonow ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 12:11PM

to have longer pauses between lines so that the translations for different languages have time to fit in. Some languages (eg German) take longer to say the same thing compared to English.

Posted by: lazyeye ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 02:08PM

They wanted to add in some cool car chases and explosions . . . and to turn the characters into vampires and wolfmen . . .

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 05:30PM

I was actually surprised to hear it was thirty minutes longer. Honestly, won't we all told that the reason it was changed the last time, was to shorten it, because the members were unworthy and unwilling to sit through the whole thing. The fact that they added thirty minutes of fluff reveals the lie in their last given reason for changing the movie.

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 05:38PM

It was re made because the blonde Eve's lipstick was messed up. I would get real distracted by that during close up shots of her face. The make up people really goofed with her lipstick.

There I said it. It only bothered me for a bunch of years.

Date: August 06, 2013 12:53AM

LOL!! Cheezus, are you a dude or a chick? That's hilarious. I swear I notice stuff like that but I never picked up on blond Eve's make-up fail.

Funny stuff.

;o)

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 07:36PM

I haven't heard that they changed the movie again. Did they take out the part about the women in the room veiling their faces? 'Bout time. I will never forget the pit in my stomach the first time they told me to do that. Course, not as bad as getting to the sealing room and being asked if I "give" myself to my husband and his having to make absolutely ZERO vows to me. I don't know how women in this day and age can still go through that misogynostic bullcrap. Conditioned to turn off their brains at the door, I guess.

Posted by: exmo-lesbian ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 08:02PM

I've never been to the temple for anything but babtisms for the dead. I just wonder if it would be better with alcohol. The Brady Bunch Movie was better with alcohol. Just sayin.

Date: August 06, 2013 12:56AM

Wooooooooo! lol. I bet it was.

You guys are hilarious tonight. Comedy channel material.

;o)

Posted by: coffee and cigarettes ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 08:10PM

at least they could have made a trilogy from that sort of fantasy

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 09:14PM

Why doesn't TSCC insist that all temple worshipers are fully literate in reading Egyptian hieroglyphs?

Then they could flash up a character at a time and we would all be able to translate each character in a Joseph Smith-like-Book of-Abraham-translation. You know, where one character is equivalent to an entire paragraph (i.e. Joe Juniors Egyptian Alphabet Grammar).

Then the entire Temple Ceremony could be reduced by 90% or so!

Posted by: anon4this ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 09:24PM

The brunette Eve looked so horny and the blonde naive.

Posted by: waitingforasign ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 11:05PM

Does anyone know when the new movie will be available online?

Posted by: MormonThinker ( )
Date: August 06, 2013 12:02AM

waitingforasign Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does anyone know when the new movie will be
> available online?

In the fall this year.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: August 06, 2013 12:11AM

waitingforasign Wrote:
> Does anyone know when the new movie will be
> available online?

October 18th, in the evening, during Open Mic at the Exmo Conference.

Posted by: DebbiePA ( )
Date: August 06, 2013 12:05AM

Personally, I think they should do the next one in Pixar.

"TO INFINITY AND BEYOND!!"

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: August 06, 2013 12:36AM

DebbiePA Wrote:
> Personally, I think they should do the next one in
> Pixar.
>
> "TO INFINITY AND BEYOND!!!"

:-)

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: August 06, 2013 12:14AM

I just want to know if they trimmed the dam* bushes so we can see Eve TOPLESS!

Posted by: exmo59 ( )
Date: August 06, 2013 12:35AM

Funny! I spent many a session trying to see through those bushes!

With virtue being a requirement for temple recommends, why would it matter to show some skin?

Oh, wait, they still have locks in the changing rooms, I assume.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: August 06, 2013 12:39AM

Wow! Are her pubes THAT out of control?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.