Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: newcomer ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 01:50AM

You can search for it, but you can't reserve it. They're not even listing any "on shelf" or "in transit."

I hope the copies haven't "disappeared."

(BTW: Books the library have have descriptions. Ones they don't have aren't searchable. Yet, I can search for "No Many Knows My History," but there isn't a copy to be found in my city's catalog. *rollseyes*)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: welshgypsy ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 02:47AM

I actually have seen the odd copy or two at more than one Deseret Industries. Generally beat up with dusty spine, but even so, it's the book. Look there? possibility.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 10:08AM

I bought it off Amazon 2 years ago.

Posted by: newcomer ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 10:19AM

cl2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I bought it off Amazon 2 years ago.

I just wanted to check it out and read it...I've been hearing about how pivotal this book has been for people who have left TSCC.

I was reading through Amazon.com reviews and naturally selected the one-star reviews to read. Their main criticism (at least the criticism they put down) was that it was written like a novel and that the author was inferring what went on in Smith's head. Having not read that book, and maybe they're exaggerating this, but I could totally see their point. I'm more of a gimme-the-facts reader.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 10:29AM

I used to be an avid reader, but for some reason I can only get through about half a book anymore and I quit reading. BUT my nonmo boyfriend read it fairly quickly and he really liked it and found it very informative.

The thing I did like about it was that it was written like a novel--and it gave the day to day type info you don't get from something with only facts. It gave you insight into why Joseph did what he did when he did--the background story.

I hope others respond to this thread--as a lot of the people here have read it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2013 10:30AM by cl2.

Posted by: SLDrone ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 12:28PM

Fawn Brodie's book is easily obtainable on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/No-Man-Knows-My-History/dp/0679730540

In each chapter Professor Brodie lays out and references the facts as they were known in 1945. The years have not been kind to Mormon truth claims so if anything the evidence has become much stronger since Brodie completed her work.

At the end of each chapter she summarizes and then in my opinion creates a chink in her armour by theorizing conclusions. I wish she had separated fact from her theory a little better. In each case I believe she gives the most logical explanation but there is always that little gap between what we know to be fact and then what she puts for as conclusions. In each case she's probably right, but it does create that window for TBM's to criticize.

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 01:28PM

All of the above plus - she tends to put thoughts/ascribe motives to Smith when there is little or no basis for what she posits. She may be right, she may be wrong, but the book would have been better without this device.

Posted by: slimchance ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 11:29AM

I bought this book on Amazon a year and a half ago. I really enjoyed. I agree with the criticism that the author puts thoughts into J.S. head but there is still lots and lots of meat to her research. It's a great book to own.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 12:28PM

I've heard the same thing about Bushman's writing...he puts thoughts into Joseph's head, speculates, etc...

This is my main problem with fairlds...they have no answers, they don't dispute facts for the most part, they just speculate...."well, maybe God needed Joe to be a pervert for his special purposes that we can't understand in this life..."

Posted by: DeAnn ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 11:59AM

"No Man Knows My History" is an amazing book in that all the important information is there and it was written when? In the 50s?

When I was reading it, I was aware that Fawn McKay Brodie would not have been allowed to editorialize and invent (people's thoughts) the way she did if she were to write the book now but, ultimately, it did not matter to me because the basic information was there.

I was astounded that I could have learned all I needed to know about the church years and years ago rather than learning it on the Internet years later.

Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 12:27PM

Brodie wrote psychobiographies.

"In the view of students of historiography such as Ernst Breisach, all biographers are to some degree psychohistorians, and any biography that refused to examine motives, character traits, and the depth of personality would be flat and uninteresting.[33] But Brodie became interested in applying the theories of professional psychoanalysts to the study of historical personalities, a subject especially popular during the mid-twentieth century."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fawn_M._Brodie

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.