Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 03:11PM

I was raised Mormon and therefore I'm a BIC. I've lived outside of Utah now a decade. I've seen all sorts of Christianity. I've seen the cult of corporate Christianity (LDS) the most of course. What I don't get is why people would actually join it from other forms of Christianity? It is so dry, formalized, devoid of worship excitement and it is a mental and psychical drain just in their "volunteer" opportunities which are more like paying jobs than service opportunities.

Maybe I'll never get it. I do get one thing though - only a Mormon could be the most famous writer about vampires - she has an inside track.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ipseego ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 03:21PM

To understand - maybe you should start by realizing that the far greatest majority of people in normal forms of Christianity never even dream of joining Mormonism?

By the way, Elder Berry - I'm missing your jokes. Mormonism is a joke, a bad one.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 07:09PM

The vast majority of thinking people would not consider walking into a Christian church either.

Posted by: MajorityofWho? ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 08:06PM

Majority? Of what? The US or some other place US is 70+ % Christian and 96% +- believers in God. Not sure I get what majority. There are billions of Christians on the planet, most of which would walk into a Christian church.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 03:24PM

... namely where we come from, why we're here and where we're going.

Oddly enough, no other christian sect touches that last one. My mom ate up that family forever bulls**t and my dad loved the notion of becoming a god.

Ask any priest or pastor what heaven's all about and they don't have a clue. As goofy as the mormon concept is, its still better than no concept at all.

Timothy

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 05:48PM

...religion not really making some people happy, so when another one comes along they think, "Maybe this one will work." That could also explain the poor "convert" retention.

Or there are those who have no clue that when Mormons say, "Join our church," it's WAY different than when a standard Christian asks someone from a different denomination to come worship with their congregation.

Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 10:18PM

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 07:01PM

The missionaries in my area never encouraged investigators to attend church. ("The members mess it up for us"). Only once a baptism was scheduled did the bishop require that they attend at least once, maybe twice, prior to dunk day. So nobody caught a clue about the boredom factor.

As doctrine is rarely, if ever, specifically discussed at SM, going just once or twice would not clue you in to the variations from the Christian theme (3 levels of heaven, heavenly polygamy, we will be gods, etc). You would also not notice that in many wards (such as mine) the foundation blocks of Christianity are absent (celebrations for Christmas, Easter, use of Bible, worship of Jesus/God etc).

I don't recall being told about callings beforehand. For me and other converts I knew that was a shock.

I didn't realize you don't _have_ to go to the temple - I got the impression after baptism that there was a laundry list of steps to go through and that it was expected of all members. Too, whenever I had a question nobody would answer me but said to wait for the temple where all would be revealed (uh, didn't happen for me).

I didn't know until after the temple endowment session that the g's replace one's civvy underwear. (It was part of all that was too sacred to reveal beforehand). You have to just obey instructions and stifle your questions, I found.

You also don't realize ahead how cold and dry and repetitious and depressing Mormonism is. I kept myself in longer than I should have because I thought you can't withdraw your commitment ("promises", "covenants") just because you're bored or because Mormon Church depresses you. In fact, following the program from Mormonism and other fundy-type religious groups, I thought it was my fault and "sinful" even to be bored or to have questions or to change one's mind about oaths once taken (even if not understood at the time).

Once I could get past that way of thinking, I could get out. I think that with incoming information shedding a different light on a situation it is okay and often advisable to change course. It's okay to do what you like and want and what feels right rather than to force yourself to keep on doing what is making you unhappy or even depressed (as happened to me).

I think that finding the "key" to what will help someone see things with a different perspective can go a long way to them choosing to try another route (i.e., leave the church or group or job or whatever it is that's not working for them but in which they feel stuck).

Of course, knowing then what we know now, few, if any, would get baptized. I think a lot of active BICs and exmo BICs and nevermos and forever-atheists can't comprehend why non-BICS would ever join the Mormon Church because they don't realize just how little information we have beforehand and how little contact we have with the meetings, the members and the doctrine and practices of Mormonism as they are implemented today. Certainly very few know much about Mormon history.

The biggest error on the part of potential joiners, at least prior to the Internet explosion, is assuming way too much about Mormonism as opposed to researching it independently first (for instance, assuming that it's just another Christian denomination, albeit off-mainstream). That was certainly a big factor in my case (pre-Google).

The biggest blind spot in understanding converts is as I described above, assuming they have far more information and understanding than they do. I have personally witnessed missionaries actively discouraging church attendance and research, pushing the spirit, the spirit, the spirit in choosing to "convert". For those who fall for that, whatever concerns or questions arise after baptism are answered by versions of the comment "But you felt the spirit", as if that is true, as if it answers all questions, as if there is no turning back because of that one "fact". In my case, when I went to the bishop with questions he would unfailingly answer "But you've been to the temple" as if that would (1) answer all questions or (2) cause all questions to disappear without needing answers.

I'll go on record, again, as opining that (many) exmos constantly display a really bad attitude toward converts. Even after all these yrs at RfM it still irks me to read some of the comments (not on this thread, at least so far). I consider that members or ex-members with such negative opinions of converts are actively supporting Mormonism, which treats its converts badly. Members and exmos uphold this tradition by dissing people who, after all, merely believed what the church's missionaries and members and leaders told them, some or all of which turns out to be half-truths, misinformation, or outright lies (all of which I have witnessed in missionary efforts).

The Mormon conversion technique as I have experienced and observed it includes:

1. Tell the investigator as little as possible (so they won't find out potentially off-putting information - this doesn't work so well now in the 21C where the Internet and the God of Google abound).

2. Get them baptized as soon as possible (there is unholy pressure during the first discussion to get baptized; some even do it before they get all the discussions or the mishies "teach" all the discussions in one or two days to speed up the baptism date; of course, this is a high pressure sales technique to catch the person and dunk them before they have time to think or study up on Mormonism).

3. Post-baptism keep them so busy their head spins (they don't have time to ask questions before they get in as deep as it's possible to go; for me, getting shunted onto the speedy temple track from day 1 post-dunk kept me quiet for a whole yr, plenty of time to get indoctrinated, or so they thought).

4. If they don't settle down, accuse them of being lazy, sinning, disrespecting their covenants to God, asking too many questions, rocking the boat, causing contention, etc (I will never forget how truly peculiar it was, and highly embarrassing, to be told that I had "stirred up contention in the congregation" for merely asking at an RS event about the doctrine of the Trinity. "We don't discuss doctrine in church" said one Mormon woman sternly.

Uh, OK, all righty then, didn't know that. How bizarre.

So, yeah, I have feelings about the convert situation, from both sides of the aisle.

I was going to write this on another current thread about converts but I just went and splurted it all here. Again. Sorry if it's misplaced, but the sentiments remain sound.

Don't support Mormonism by dissing converts!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2011 07:40PM by Nightingale.

Date: January 31, 2011 07:25PM

Nightingale Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Don't support Mormonism by dissing converts!

How were people dissing converts?

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: February 01, 2011 04:03AM

Not on this thread, that I've noticed. I mentioned that fact in my post. I was just bringing to this thread what's been on my mind after a few other threads where the negative comments about converts again got to me (it happens frequently here).

If it is many exmos' impression from their own experience that most converts are all kinds of negative things I can't quarrel with that. But as a joiner myself, it bites to read so often here about how converts are stupid, selfish, greedy, scheming, low class grasping fools just out for what they can get from the church, and too stupid to see through Mormonism, etc.

When I see that kind of commentary, that springs up here quite often, it does get to me personally as I did choose to join the Mormon Church and don't consider myself any of those negative things.

And even if so, why blame the convert and not the Mormon Church, which is hardly upfront with any prospective new member, is my eternal question on that.

Sorry though - I know I was off-base putting my comments on this thread. It just happened to be there when I finally wanted to splurt about this issue again.

Nightingale
yes, I joined (didn't "convert" as never bought the bottom lines)

Date: January 30, 2011 04:20PM

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 12:41PM

Date: January 30, 2011 07:10PM

...but I still like the idea of becoming one. Thousands of naked women worshiping at me feet sounds like a beautiful proposal :)

Posted by: excatholic ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 03:46PM

I'm a nevermo, now an atheist, but was raised catholic. While I don't see the attraction of mormonism, it's not like catholic mass is exactly riveting. You listen to some old geezer in a dress drone on from a memorized script for an hour at least once a week, punctuated by a sermon touting the vatican party line, and a little leering at the altarboys. I'd rather watch paint dry. Some of the buildings are a little nicer, but many are pretty bad.

I've also spent time in a United Methodist congregation. It depends largely on the minister, but many are dull as dishwater. On the other hand, there are few things worse than an evangelical ceremony, which is Amway for Jeezus.

As I'm nevermo, I'll take your word for it about how uninspiring LDS services are, but the rest aren't necessarily all that much better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2011 03:57PM by excatholic.

Posted by: Nebularry ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 03:58PM

Because belonging to an organized religion - especially a large one - makes people feel as though they are a part of something big and important. That's why LDS Inc. continues to tell the lie about being the "fastest growing" denomination in the world. It's the "stone cut out of the mountain" destined to consume the world and vanquish the evil-doers. Being a part of that, even if it's a lie (and it is) makes the humble feel grandiose and the not-so-humble arrogant.

Posted by: Highland ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 07:30PM

>>>>>>>Because belonging to an organized religion - especially a large one - makes people feel as though they are a part of something big and important.

Not at all. I don't care about bigness or importance. I care about truth. I'm a member of my particular Christian church because I believe what is taught there is true and beneficial and in accordance with God's holy scripture.

Posted by: nwmcare ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 04:14PM

It depends on the person. Either you get something out of it or you don't.

People who have pieces missing from their inner selves will fill them with all kinds of 'noise'. 'Noise' in excessive, obsessive amounts. It could be corporate Christianity. Could be football. Could be yoga. Could be money. Or acquiring material goods. Or the old standby favorites: sex, drugs, and alcohol.

Those who choose 'corporate Christianity' (remember, I said excessive, obsessive) tend to be self righteous about it but it can be every bit as harmful as drug or alcohol addiction--the pain of the folks hurt by it comes through loud and clear on this board.

Date: January 30, 2011 04:25PM

nwmcare Wrote:
> Those who choose 'corporate Christianity'
> (remember, I said excessive, obsessive) tend to be
> self righteous about it but it can be every bit as
> harmful as drug or alcohol addiction--the pain of
> the folks hurt by it comes through loud and clear
> on this board.

Amen! My parents are so addicted that they had 10 kids and tried to have more by adopting. They wanted to earn blessings in heaven by making babies for God.

Posted by: AKA Alma ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 07:24PM

I converted when I was 20. When I was younger I was raised Methodist however church was never a focus in my house. I was going to community college part time and working a part-time dead end job. My life had become stagnant and I lacked direction. A couple of my friends were mormon and another friend was taking the descussions and I became interested in what he was learning. I had always been interested in philosophy and religion and mormonism was (and still is) a fascinating religion.

So there was the whole curiosity aspect.

Also, I wanted to be a good father one day (growing without a father I felt like I lacked any sort of training or ability to be the man I wanted to be) and the idea of being trained to be a priesthood leader in the home was appealing.

Also, I found acceptance in the YSA ward that I joined. That social scene quickly became my life and created a strong positive feeling about "being mormon".

And Ultimatly, I just wanted to be a better person.

In retrospect those ideas seem a little silly, but at the time they were very important to me and church filled a number of needs that I was missing in my life...
- a social group
- strong male role models
- encouragement and direction to "become better"
- and the intellectual stimulation of learning about a new philosphy and seeking truth

It's that last point that ultimately led me out... it took a long time and now that I'm married to a TBM my life is much more complicated than I wish it was right now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2011 07:25PM by strivingforbalance.

Date: January 30, 2011 04:28PM

strivingforbalance Wrote:
> It's that last point that ultimately led me out...
> it took a long time and now that I'm married to a
> TBM my life is much more complicated than I wish
> it was right now.

I was born in the covenant and I could say the exact same thing. The funny thing for me is Mormonism growing up while having direction didn't have much in the ways of religious experiences.

From reading the posts, many other Christian religions suffer in the same way.

Posted by: Highland ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 07:26PM

How is LDS even remotely within the category of "Christianity"?

Posted by: resipsaloquitur ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 07:29PM

Invisible sky daddy who says you're born broken and you need help to get into heaven? Sounds just like all the other rubbish to me.

Posted by: AKA Alma ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 07:40PM

mormons believe in christ, hence they are "christians".

Granted, the myth is told slightly different by mormons than it is by, say, catholics or baptists, but the main character is the same. Mormons just tell a more interesting version with more characters, and they have a sequel that really ramps up the action scenes.

I don't believe any form of christianity, but among them all I will give the mormons credit for going out on a limb and trying to answer the tough questions which is more than any of the others do. Of course you pay a premium for the good story telling in the form of money, time, and family relationships.

Date: January 30, 2011 07:13PM

resipsaloquitur and strivingforbalance hit the nail on the head. They believe in jesus, have similar doctrines, and are crazy in all of the same ways.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 10:16PM

That's what I did. I was in a very legalistic church and going through a hard time. The Mormons were so nice and accepting of me. Always inviting me places... I was attracted to the idea of a womens relief society and have sisters for girlfriends. I thought the bom was the fullness of the gospel and didn't know about all the additional doctrine. I could say I was a fool and it was a big mistake but I've grown from it. I'm happy I became Mormon and also happy I resigned my membership.

Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: January 29, 2011 09:26AM

We had friends in it and we had been friends with them for a few years. They were low key about their religion and we were Buddhist, atheist, paganish. They never showed us any of the nutty proselytizing or pressure tactics. Having kids made us think about how to raise them in a spiritual community. I started asking questions and reading. Yes the church had problems but all religions have problems and I was able to overlook the difficulties as presented by the Ostlings and of course Jan Shipps treats the LDS church seriously, so I thought this was real religion with depth. Little did I know the sorts of extortion, especially regarding one's family, use of guilt and anxiety, and deception, and denial of history, and refusal of critical thought that the church would wield. So I shook myself out of it but my family is still in it as brainwashed as ever, as emotionally bound to it as could be.

I was able to lead them in easily but I do not know if I will ever be able to get them out. The sense of being cheated is palpable.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.