Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: utahstateagnostics ( )
Date: August 07, 2013 12:26AM

Today's story comes to us from the junior college formerly known as Ricks College in the mid 90's.

(I went there '97 to '98 and heard this story my first week)

Some time in the early to mid 90's at Ricks, there was a group of apartments knows as the Harmony House. All Ricks-approved housing had some pretentious name like, "The Colonial," "Aspen Chalet," "The Carriage House," etc.

In order to be approved to house Ricks students, an apartment had to agree to conditions, such as:

1) Only one sex is allowed to live there (meaning the whole complex is either all boys or all girls

2) They must enforce all of Ricks' rules, including curfew and where visitors were allowed within the apartment.

3) Rooms are inspected weekly to maintain cleanliness

etc., among other rules.

Anyway, as the story goes, there was a group of girls living in the Harmony House that were in need of money, and decided to open a brothel as a solution. They only advertised by word-of-mouth from pleased customers as to not attract attention to themselves.

Anyone who wanted to stop by would walk in front of the apartment and see the orientation of a pair of tennis rackets mounted near the main window. If they were crossed, it meant the brothel was closed. If they were uncrossed, come on in. I assume it was easy to remember the system if you think of the tennis racket handles as legs.

This went on for several months. The way they were caught is that an eagle-eyed bishop noted that these girls had a decent amount of money being turned in for tithing, yet knew they didn't have a job around town. After doing a little investigating, he discovered what was (or, who, I guess) going down.

THAT'S RIGHT! THESE GIRLS WERE PAYING TITHING ON MONEY THEY MADE FROM PROSTITUTION!!!

Ever since that apartment has had a reputation that they have tried to shed, even going as far as changing it to "Beehive Manor." Most of the girls who were moving there changed apartments once they found out the history.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: August 07, 2013 12:47AM

Posted by: GQ Cannonball ( )
Date: August 07, 2013 12:54AM

Heard this in Provo. The Riviera, I believe, was the rumored place. I love Mormon urban legends!

Posted by: lefthandedgoat ( )
Date: August 07, 2013 01:10AM

This does sound like an urban legend but I remember hearing it when I was at BYU in 1979 and living in Deseret Towers. I also remember that at least one of the windows in my dorm had a pair of crossed tennis rackets in the windows.

Posted by: peepstone ( )
Date: August 07, 2013 12:16PM

I too remember hearing a version of this story while was at BYU in the late 80's to early 90's.

I can just imagine that bishop: "hmm, Sally is suddenly paying more tithing than usual and I don't believe she has a job... she must be a prostitute! Where is my sherlock hat and magnifying glass, I need to get to investigate this matter!"

Posted by: justbnme ( )
Date: August 07, 2013 12:24PM

I heard that story back when I went to Ricks in the late 80's.

Urban legend.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: August 07, 2013 12:33PM

Since the girls were faithful with their tithing, does this constitute a "faith-promoting legend?"

just wondering.... ;-)

Posted by: nomoinprovo ( )
Date: August 07, 2013 12:51PM

And the lesson being--Don't pay tithing on your illgotten gains.

I heard that story when I moved to Provo in '83.

Posted by: Lenina ( )
Date: August 07, 2013 02:07PM

Curious that people making earnings in ill-gotten ways would even be inclined to pay tithing.

Fun urban legend.

Posted by: Vmurrieta ( )
Date: January 19, 2024 10:44AM

Yah sorry, but there’s a version of this same story at BYU Provo dating back to the 1950s. None of it is true.

Posted by: agnome ( )
Date: January 20, 2024 06:40AM

Reminds me of the legend that people who grow pampas grass outside their homes are swingers. Crossed tennis rackets!

Posted by: lapsed2 ( )
Date: January 20, 2024 03:26PM

Bigfoot was there first customer…and you know what they say…

Posted by: Chamonix ( )
Date: January 28, 2024 09:06PM

lapsed2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bigfoot was there first customer…and you know
> what they say…

They don't shave their feet?

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 20, 2024 03:56PM

This sounds like it came from the same bargain bin at the rumor mill as the stories about BYU couples driving to Las Vegas, getting married at a wedding chapel on Friday night, having a weekend of wild sex, and then filing for a "quickie divorce" Monday morning, and returning to school honor code compliant.

Nevermind that the residency requirement for a Nevada divorce was 6 months, which indeed was quick compared to other states at the time, but hardly "Monday morning" quick. And divorces required court dates and lawyers, They were not drive-through operations, even if the weddings were.

Posted by: HMer ( )
Date: January 20, 2024 09:44PM

Well, I suppose that leaves soaking and the Bednar Bounce to be debunked.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: January 27, 2024 02:30PM

I heard it was annulment, which would be feasible. What would Joseph do?

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: February 05, 2024 02:49PM

The Las Vegas marriages were happening when I was at BYU. They addressed it at Stake Conference.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: February 05, 2024 02:52PM

Plenty of hanky panky at church schools. Nothing new.

Posted by: Alien Weaponry ( )
Date: January 27, 2024 07:24AM

I wonder if they had armpit crabs.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: February 02, 2024 01:27PM

The bishop went to investigate, and was extremely thorough; in fact, he didn't leave until 2 a.m. and went back the next night to investigate further....

Posted by: I ( )
Date: February 05, 2024 03:36AM

My house was always a whore house in Prove too. I couldn't help it. They wouldn't stop coming. It just didn't pay. Neither did they!

Posted by: squirrley ( )
Date: February 05, 2024 05:24PM

Reminds me of the BYU stories of "stay moral go oral," and kids going to Vegas to get married for the weekend of fun and then getting divorced. All unverified. What a mess religion makes by getting involved in things that are NONE OF THEOR BUSINESS!

Posted by: BoydKKK ( )
Date: February 05, 2024 06:28PM

For decades MFMC had a lot of property rented out for whore houses on 2nd South in Salt Lake City.

Posted by: robinsaintcloud ( )
Date: February 06, 2024 12:40PM

also heard this tale at BYU in 1972-73 about an apartment in Heritage Halls.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.