Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thederz ( )
Date: August 07, 2013 10:31AM

Writing this was freeing.

Dear member records,

My name is thederz. I was baptized on xx-xx-xx, with my mom and little brother. My membership number is ----.

I stopped believing in the church the moment I was on my mission, and realized that I had become the Priest avoiding the Samaritan on the side of the road. (Luke 10) I felt in my heart that instead of helping the people Jesus wanted me to, I was only helping people the church wanted me to. I'd like to believe Jesus helped people even when it didn't lead to a first discussion.

This is my formal resignation from the church of jesus christ of latter day saints. The moment you receive this letter I am no longer a member of this church. I'm resigning, because the church doesn't help make me a better person. It hindered my ability to love like the savior loved.

This is not a snap decision, but even if it was I'm not sure why that should matter. It doesn't bother members when people make snap decisions to join the church. I took one month to get baptized, and no one told me to slow down, or reconsider, but after a year of pondering and praying over this choice I'm sure I'll be told I'm wrong.

I expect my resignation handled immediately. Any mishandling of this, or attempts to delay my resignation will be seen as further evidence of the church's lack of integrity. After today, the only contact I expect is a single letter of confirmation stating I'm no longer a member of this church.

Thanks.

thederz.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2013 10:36AM by thederz.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: pathos ( )
Date: August 07, 2013 10:33AM

::clap:: well done

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: August 07, 2013 11:50AM

Posted by: sanitationengineer ( )
Date: August 07, 2013 02:35PM

Congrats on your newfound freedom.

BTW I still think your mission escape story is one of the most memorable things I have read on this board.

Posted by: subeam ( )
Date: August 07, 2013 05:50PM

Short and to the point, congrats.

Posted by: newcomer ( )
Date: August 07, 2013 06:20PM

Straight to the point; no bs. Bravo!

Posted by: Mark ( )
Date: August 07, 2013 09:13PM

Congrats, You are free to live your life however you want! Enjoy! :)

Posted by: utahfantasy ( )
Date: August 07, 2013 09:21PM

I don't know if you did it on purpose or not but I like that you didn't capitalize any words in the name of the church. I like subtle jabs.

Posted by: thederz ( )
Date: August 07, 2013 11:40PM

I actually did that on purpose. haha I like subtle jabs too. I can already tell how resigning is helping me finally put all of this behind me. I'm also moving out this weekend too. I don't have any beef with my family, but it will be the cherry on top to reclaiming my life back. I like this board because it reminds me I'm never alone.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: August 08, 2013 12:24AM

I like the way you informed them that you are no longer a member of the church. That's a change from the meek request for them to release you from the church which tone is made by many. Good idea! Simply inform them that you are no longer a church member and that you expect only one last letter from them confirming this. Good Job!

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: August 08, 2013 12:40AM

Excellent. Direct. Spoken from the heart!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.