Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anon for now ( )
Date: August 09, 2013 10:36PM

Ok everyone, I need some advice. Tried some Sam Adams Boston Lager the other day and I absolutely hated it! Was that a bad choice of a first beer, and if so, what would be your recommendations for first time drinkers. I really want to be able to enjoy beer, but I'm worried I'm doomed to hate it!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: StoneInHat ( )
Date: August 09, 2013 10:39PM

I tried some Wasatch Apricot Heifeweizen (only available in Utah I think) the first time I tried beer after leaving TSCC and it was actually not all that bad. For a first time beer drinker it will be sort of bitter at first. Just sip it. Once you get drunk the taste won't even matter any longer. I also like Budweiser (hence my name). Don't worry if you don't like it the first time. Just keep trying it and eventually you will like it.

Posted by: moxnix ( )
Date: August 09, 2013 10:42PM

I could only get down maybe a sip of my first beer. (It was a German beer, though I don't recall the brand; I'm sure I'd relish it now.) Like wine, it's an acquired taste. I'd stick with some light stuff at first and not judge any beer until you've gotten used to the flavor of it in general. Personally, my preference these days is Reissdorf Kölsch or (if I'm in the mood for something simpler and more commonly available) just Blue Moon.

Posted by: passing through ( )
Date: August 09, 2013 10:44PM

Sam Adams is ok beer but far from the best.

I'd find some local brewery/restaurant and tell your server you're a beer newbie. There are so many different kinds/shades/preparations of beer and it takes a while to find what you like, such as light and fruity/ hoppy, or darker, maltier, roasted stout.

Honestly it's like coffee, an acquired and personalized taste. And you don't HAVE to like it to fit in exmo society either.

Back to taste...what was it you didn't like? Too bitter?

Date: August 10, 2013 12:27AM

Yeah it was pretty bitter, but it was the aftertaste that really got me...I can't really describe it. (besides that I thought it was nasty)

Posted by: JasonK ( )
Date: August 09, 2013 10:46PM

I hate the taste too. I was told to try Guiness. Oddly, my oldest son loves beer, especially Corona, while my oldest daughter despises it and prefers vodka (though is quite particular about which vodka.)

When we go out to eat, they each have me try something new. I've yet to find an alcholic drink that doesn't taste vile. Anyway, it's cheaper to just drink water and it has far fewer calories.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 09, 2013 10:48PM

you are not alone.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: August 09, 2013 10:48PM

Haha, Sam Adams Boston Lager is one of my most favourite beers!

Given the above, I won't give any recommendations but I will say that for some (many?) people, acquiring a taste for beer is like acquiring a taste for sushi, olives, coffee, etc... at first they can be 'yuck!', next taste it's 'ok, that's not terrible', third taste it's 'this is starting to grow on me' etc... until one day you get to the point of not being able to imagine life without these things! :-)

Of course, some people simply don't like beer. ( cos they're freaks ;-P )

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: August 09, 2013 10:50PM

That's a pretty good introduction beer. It might not be your thing.

Posted by: Vote for Pedro ( )
Date: August 09, 2013 10:52PM

Lots of grocery stores will let you put together your own six pack. You can try one of everything.

Blue Moon is a good place to start. Summer ales are in season and fairly non-bitter. And believe it or not, Guinness is very smooth and non-bitter. It's pretty intense, though, so I like it with strong food like a ribeye.

It was hard for me to get past the first few sips, too. My first beer was a Sam Adams, so I think I know what you mean. But there are many different kinds of beer. Keep looking and you'll find something you like. Or not, and that's fine too.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: August 09, 2013 10:53PM

You have to acquire the taste, before trying lagers and dark. A simple Miller's Genuine Draft or Budweiser would of been better. Never drink the cheap stuff though like Cobra (unless you're broke or in college). Then ease up to the better; but even then, My brother became a Coors man and I an MGD man and we argue over which tastes worse. I did learn to enjoy Fat Tire, Guiness, and some dark ales; but for a football game or card game, I'm MGD and I have to buy Bud for the boys and a single sixpack of Coors for sissy, no-taste bro if he shows up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2013 10:54PM by dydimus.

Posted by: templeendumbed ( )
Date: August 09, 2013 10:55PM

You really shouldn't blaspheme like this on the Board.

Go get some Stella Artois and see what you think of that. Sam Adams is not good beer, for too many reasons for me to list. After you try the Stella, get some Guiness and see what you think. This will help you know if anything on the spectrum is going to work.

If you are in Utah get a Capt. Bastard's Oatmeal Stout (I have never met a lady that didn't like this beer) and then a Blue Moon (and do put an orange slice with it). If either appeals to you come back for further enlightenment from the beer lords.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2013 10:58PM by templeendumbed.

Date: August 10, 2013 12:32AM

Ok I will return and report.

Sorry for blaspheming :)

Date: August 10, 2013 03:02AM

Thou art forgivenith this onceth. You may be a wine or spirits drinker, but that would be unfortunate. So I hope you find the appropriate refresher you are in search of.

As others have mentioned, don't worry if it's gourmet root beer etc. The most important part is that you really like what you are drinking.

Date: August 10, 2013 03:41AM

*bowing head* yes

Posted by: shonto ( )
Date: August 09, 2013 11:08PM

Blue Moon works for me. Guiness on tap at an Irish pub - the best! Hard cider can serve as "training wheels", get you feelin' just as good, but less bitter.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: August 10, 2013 01:03AM

Hornsby's Crisp Apple is yummy. I tried Angry Orchard last night and quite liked it.

Posted by: pewsitter ( )
Date: August 09, 2013 11:08PM

Try a really really cold Bud Light. On tap is better. You might also try a really cold Bud Light Lime. Stella is a good beer if it is cold. A lot of places do not serve beer really cold.

Date: August 09, 2013 11:10PM

I've always hated beer. I'm not sure what dog piss tastes like, but I think beer must be close.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: August 09, 2013 11:11PM

I recommend Shock Top. It has a nice hint of citrus, and goes perfect with an orange slice. No skunky aftertaste either. Oh, and purchase it outside of Utah so you don't have to deal with the 3.2% Utah bullsh!t.

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: August 10, 2013 12:00AM

I don't like booze, period!! And I don't feel that I have to drink because I am now an ex-mo. I also don't like coffee, and will drink tea once a year if I am forced to.

If you don't like it, why drink it?

Date: August 10, 2013 12:37AM

It's not that I'm really "forcing" myself. (or maybe I am haha) I just want to one day sit around a fancy group of people and sip on some fine brew while wearing a monocle. :) (Or something along those lines...)

Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: August 10, 2013 12:01AM

Posted by: notloggedin ( )
Date: August 10, 2013 12:05AM

You can find pre-made shandies or make your own. Half hefeweizen, half lemonade wholly delicious.

Date: August 10, 2013 12:29AM

This is a very good suggestion especially during the summer. Go get a hefe and some lemonade and start with half to half ratios. This is a great drink unless OP is in Alaska.

Date: August 10, 2013 12:38AM

Great advice from both, thanks!

Posted by: Samson ( )
Date: August 10, 2013 01:10AM

Once you start enjoying a shandy, reduce the lemonade content bit by bit. That worked for me until eventually I found that any lemonade made the drink too sweet and now I even prefer the more hoppy beers like IPA's. Persevere - it is worth it!

Posted by: SLDrone ( )
Date: August 10, 2013 12:11AM

don't go for anything dark or heavy at first. Beer is an acquired taste, but I'm tellin' ya, it's really good once you acquire it. Cheers

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: August 10, 2013 12:36AM

OK, most people learn to drink alcohol by starting off with cheap wine coolers, and other sugary drinks, but they do so when they are drinking underage. The sugar covers the taste of alcohol, but after a while, you pallet adjusts, and you no longer taste that metallic flavor that all booze seems to have when you first start drinking. When you reach that point, you will be able to actually taste the beer.

You may also start hating the taste of overly sweet sugary drinks, at least if you are normal. This may even carry over into sugary candies and sodas, but this isn't always the case with everyone. That's just your pallet adjusting, as your taste becomes more sensitive. This does not happen to everyone though.

Posted by: Mormon Boy ( )
Date: August 10, 2013 12:41AM

Posted by: southern ( )
Date: August 10, 2013 12:44AM

ok I hate a hoppy beer, one of my favs is Lion Stout (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/389/1115) It is SO freakin good, rich like wine, so deep, mmmmm now I want one. If you have a shop near you that imports, check if they have this one.

Also, Duck Rabbit milk stout. Oh yum

Posted by: nomo28 ( )
Date: August 10, 2013 12:50AM

Beer is an acquired taste. I used to hate it, and I lived in Germany for a few years and was pretty experienced with all types of alcohol. One night when I was a broke college student, all we had in the fridge was some Natural Light (not a good starter beer, even for poor college kids) and I wanted to get drunk. I said screw it, choked through the nasty taste of about 3 beers and eventually didn't taste it anymore. Now I love beer, and I love to try all different kinds.

Posted by: Yucky ( )
Date: August 10, 2013 12:57AM

I hate all bitter flavors, so I can't drink that swill. Can't stand coffee, either. People will tell you that "good" beer and coffee aren't bitter, but there are only four basic flavors, and they're sure as hell not sweet, salt, or sour. Anyway, you don't HAVE to start drinking. If you don't like it, you don't like it. Some people do, and that's fine for them, but you have no obligation to do anything you don't want to do.

Posted by: exmo59 ( )
Date: August 10, 2013 01:24AM

So, the chief complaint on these boards is the cult of Mormonism, and feeling pressured to do things that were stupid.

So we leave the "cult" and then we feel pressured to drink stupid drinks.

What is the difference?

Alcohol is a religion.

Just because a moron tells you to drink alcohol doesn't mean you have to.

If Mormonism taught us to avoid jumping off cliffs, would exmos need to jump off cliffs to prove their faith in exmoism?

Exmoism can become a cult like anything else.

Stop following a group and become an individual. Here's an article on tribalism.
http://bigthink.com/risk-reason-and-reality/how-tribalism-overrules-reason-and-makes-risky-times-more-dangerous

Posted by: presbyterian ( )
Date: August 10, 2013 02:20AM

I know lots of people who have given beer a try and really don't like it. No big deal. There are lots of other things to drink!

I personally love a really, really cold beer on a hot afternoon. I get tired of soda and juice so something not-sweet is perfect.

Posted by: moonbeam ( )
Date: August 10, 2013 03:14AM

1-beer should be very cold
2-pair with food. I particularly like greasy/salty
3-try something like:
Corona with lime
Hefeweissen (sp?) with lemon
First beer I actually liked was a very cold Heineken on a very hot day after a very long physically draining day.
Maybe visit a local brewry and sample? I find most of the fancy local beers too strong.

If you still don't like it, oh well! Try a cider, apple or pear!

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: August 10, 2013 03:44AM

DIET COKE RULES,,,,,,,,,, ESPECIALLY WITH ICE CUBES

that is until your doctor takes you of it!!! $#&^^@!!!!

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: August 10, 2013 05:50AM

Or go to a brewpub if you have one nearby, and order a "flight" of beer, or other sampler set. You'll get somewhere between 6 and 12 different beers of various kinds in small glasses to sample. Clear your palate between different beers with water or, if you can, food AND water, and see how you feel about them.

Me, I like malty and/or skunky beers and hate hoppy beers.

That said, it's cool if you don't like beer (or even alcohol in general), but it might be worth acquiring a taste (or tolerance) for it to be sociable if your friends do. Same story with coffee (though now'days most coffee shops let you get by with delicious tea).

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: August 10, 2013 05:54AM

You are not alone.

The breweries would all be broke if I was the typical potential customer.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.