Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ck ( )
Date: August 10, 2013 02:34AM

I like tiramisu and jamocha shakes from Arby's which both have a coffee/chocolate/creamy/sugary taste. Any recommendations on how to translate that into a first-time cup of forbidden beverage?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: August 10, 2013 02:39AM

I personally don't like coffee. Occasionally a lightly coffee flavoured dessert is my limit. So I can't help with the forbidden beverage, but am glad you are enjoying the mocha range. ENJOY!!!

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: August 13, 2013 01:53AM

Yup, that makes you the perfect person to make coffee recommendations.

Just kidding.

If you want something light, there is Upgraded Coffee.
http://rcm-na.amazon-adsystem.com/e/cm?t=weeklyfascin-20&o=1&p=8&l=as4&ref=ss_til&fc1=000000&IS2=1&lt1=_blank&m=amazon&lc1=0000FF&bc1=000000&bg1=FFFFFF&f=ifr

I love this stuff! They take a lot of care to make sure the beans are clean, and it's healthier than major brands. If you like strong flavors, Starbucks has a good French or Italian roast (my fave). Many people complain that the coffee is too strong, and prefer their Pike Blend.

I recommend against getting in to dessert drinks. Whipped, mixed, sweetened, etc. They are high in calories.

Good luck.

T-Bone

Posted by: templeendumbed ( )
Date: August 10, 2013 02:44AM

Two shots of espresso (which usually is 2 oz.) with the same amount of steamed milk. No sugar or flavoring just enjoy as if it were a dark chocolate bar.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2013 05:28AM by templeendumbed.

Posted by: ClaireRuin ( )
Date: August 10, 2013 05:24AM

Mocha! It was my first foreway into coffee and still my favorite. It's chocolate and espresso, and sometimes have whip cream.

Posted by: jonathantech ( )
Date: August 10, 2013 05:34AM

I had a Café au lait today for the first time. I used two sweetener packets and a medium roast (I think, all new terminology to me). It wasn't bad at all, but I added ice cubes to get it to a warm level instead of a hot level. I felt like a bubbling idiot trying to figure out why they game we a cup with steaming milk and then I had to figure out how much sweeter to add. I will probably subscribe to tonx coffee in the future so I can expand my tastes. Just have to break my wife in to realizing that I don't have to follow the WoW anymore and that I'm not sinning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2013 05:41AM by jonathantech.

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: August 10, 2013 06:12AM

Posted by: jack_i ( )
Date: August 10, 2013 07:15AM

For coffee made at home I recommend Dunkin Donuts original blend. Very mellow and aromatic!

Posted by: mrsostrike ( )
Date: August 10, 2013 02:44PM

Drinking that right now..so good with a little milk and two spoons of sugar.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: August 10, 2013 09:36AM

I will always stand by Father Michael's, my Greek Orthodox priest roaster (www.fathermichaels.com). He has become quite talented at roasting, although it is just a small operation to help support the St. John the Forerunner Monastery near Goldendale, WA. The coffees that he has stuck with are pretty much all winners, and Eastern Queen is, for me, the best.

Still, I like some off-the-shelf brands, particularly the Swedish brand Givalia (Traditional Roast) ("A Cup of Johann"--see the ads on-line). Another kick-ass brand is Tanzania Peaberry (very small but flavorful beans) that you can find in World Market and from the on-line store CoffeeAM. CoffeeAM is a great place to go for hard-to-find coffees, and they roast them in small, individual batches and put your name on them.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: August 10, 2013 12:41PM

Maybe something with caramel I could stand. But I am not a coffee drinker.

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: August 12, 2013 11:28PM

Caramel ribbon crunch frappuchino from Starbucks then, love it!

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: August 10, 2013 01:30PM

Bulletproof coffee with a teaspoon of real butter blended through.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: August 10, 2013 05:14PM

OK ozproof, I'm sold. How do I order that at my Starbuck's here in California?

Posted by: moira ( )
Date: August 12, 2013 11:43PM

Ozproof, I have been enjoying a bag of Australian Gold that my TBM niece actually brought me from her trip to Cairns.

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: August 10, 2013 02:35PM

The darkest roast possible. I've tried a lot of coffees (just having one now) and the one I like the most is the Walmart Dark Roast. So good.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: August 10, 2013 05:19PM

Coffee can be such an indulgence, not unlike High Tea in London. It can be a meeting of friends for conversation, coffee, and treats. So many cultures have it as part of their social fiber for meeting and sharing.

I think recommendations are great, but really just wade in and enjoy. Know what flavors you like and don't like and talk to the barista. It can be a fun experience.

I love coffee with lemon squares, the type--not so important.

If you are in Argentina--it is decadent, rich and creamy, with amazing pastries.

I know nothing about where you are or what you like, so can't recommend, but can share.

Coffee is not a sin that will keep you out of imaginary heaven, so have fun getting to know coffee.

Coffee and hazelnut or vanilla is good too!

Posted by: Claire Ferguson ( )
Date: August 10, 2013 05:46PM

I love my Nespresso machine! If anyone is considering one I can recommend it.

Posted by: Agreeable ( )
Date: August 12, 2013 11:30PM

I've been drinking coffee sparingly for about five years. Liked latte with caramel more than anything else, disliked lots of types. I don't like Starbucks, which tastes burnt.

Then one day I was in a hotel room that had a Nespresso machine with about 10 or 12 different flavors of coffee. The machine is extremely easy to use and fast and does not require cleaning. So I tried a few different flavors and found some that I love. So I bought my own and have been slowly--one or two a day--been exploring the different flavors.

I thought I'd narrow my favorites down to one or two, but what has happened instead is that I've realized I like almost all of the flavors. I've gotten a bit of an education, in other words, and find that the Nespresso flavors are pretty uniformly great. I now look forward to sitting down and enjoying a cup.

I still don't like most coffees, and almost never buy one, but I love my little machine!

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: August 10, 2013 08:51PM

Sumatra Blend!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: frogdogs ( )
Date: August 10, 2013 09:51PM

Get a good quality bean - organic if you can afford it.

Get yourself a burr grinder (not a blade grinder).

Get yourself a double-walled stainless french press.

Set the burr grinder to the coarsest grind setting. Grind 2 Tbsp of coffee per 6 ounces of water used to brew.

Heat water just to boiling (I nuke mine in the microwave).

Pour hot water over the freshly ground coffee in the french press. Using the french press lid/strainer, submerge grounds an inch or two in press for a few seconds. Reset press lid/strainer to the top. Let coffee steep for 4 minutes before pressing the lid/strainer all the way down.

Pour a cup, add some heavy cream and sugar (if you like sweet). Prepare for your new addiction.

I drink a quart of dark roast french press coffee every morning. With a generous dollop of heavy cream (not half and half - heavy cream), no sugar. It's an indulgence I can't imagine ever giving up. 25+ years ago I had a hard time drinking watered down restaurant coffee without copious amounts of half/half & sugar. Now I can't stand it sweet at all - except for the very slight note of sweetness that the rich mouthfeel of adding heavy cream gives.

Like, yum.

Posted by: newcomer ( )
Date: August 10, 2013 09:59PM

ck...from a lifelong coffee drinker (at least two cups a day), I'd advice you to take it slow first.

Go latte. You can't go wrong.

When you're finding lattes just aren't hitting the spot, maybe you can walk on the wild side and get an espresso. I think espressos are hardcore and still haven't find a way to drink it without shuddering. You can just taste the caffeine.

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: August 12, 2013 10:18AM

If you go to order from a coffee stand, since you are used to a massive dilution of ice cream, start with a grande size with only one or two shots of espresso in it.

The drink can be a plain latte or a mocha or a shot of flavor in a latte. These are your basic coffee drinks, but there are plenty of other choices. I recommend learning what you like in a latte before branching out.

Most people drink a grande with three shots, but two would be pretty mild, and only one shot in a mocha would be hardly indistinguishable from a hot chocolate.

If a grande looks too large or expensive, definitely a single shot in a tall cup.

Grande is ~20oz, tall ~16oz. Not sure how much each shot of espresso is, but it can't be more than 2oz? Could be wrong.

I really love a shot of fruit flavor in a latte. Strawberry, raspberry, pick your favorite fruit and try it that way, it adds a lovely almost smokey, caramelized sugar flavor to the fruit and milk.

Date: August 12, 2013 10:53AM

Ok, does anybody have a good blog/informational site where I can learn about all the different terms used for coffee. I think I'm lost in all these recommendations :)

Posted by: Jobim ( )
Date: August 12, 2013 05:31PM

This reminds me of something funny that happened a few months ago. I usually drink my latte/cafe au lait a light brown color. So I usually take a cup almost full of milk, and pour a little coffee... voila, I have a light brown, delicious cafe au lait. But I live in Brazil, though. So, I went on a cruise ship vacation and tried to do the same thing, but oddly, the milk didn't change color at all. It took me a minute to realize it was an American cruise ship (Royal Caribbean), so I had to do the opposite... fill the cup almost to the brim with coffee, and THEN add just a little milk. Only then I got the same color I'm used to :-)

This was so funny... I never drank coffee when I lived in the US, so I didn't realize there was this huge difference.

Date: August 12, 2013 11:18PM

Smoke to a barista today that worked at the original Starbucks in Seattle. Told her your predicament, leaving mormonism and haven't ever had coffee, and she had the following recommendations for a coffee drink at starbucks...

1) light roasts (stay away from dark and medium roasts): "Ask for a blondie, if possible."

2) Decaffeinated coffee

3) Shot of caramel

4) latte

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2013 11:30PM by newcomer.

Date: August 12, 2013 11:28PM

Thanks! I don't think I'll go decaffeinated, I'm no stranger to caffeine. The coffee I did have I think was a medium roast with half of the cup filled with steaming milk, and it didn't bother me much at all. The caramel sounds really sweat. I try to keep my carbs really low, but I might try it as it sounds really good. Unless the caramel is just flavoring and no sugar, then I will LOVE IT!

Date: August 12, 2013 11:31PM

jonathantech Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks! I don't think I'll go decaffeinated, I'm
> no stranger to caffeine. The coffee I did have I
> think was a medium roast with half of the cup
> filled with steaming milk, and it didn't bother me
> much at all. The caramel sounds really sweat. I
> try to keep my carbs really low, but I might try
> it as it sounds really good. Unless the caramel is
> just flavoring and no sugar, then I will LOVE IT!

You can get sugar-free caramel syrup, but some of the sugar-free syrups are bitter (like Hazelnut).

Posted by: ck ( )
Date: August 13, 2013 12:59AM

This is perfect! It hadn't even occurred to me to brew something myself; I just want to walk into Starbucks and order something without looking like a total idiot! (Or gagging when I take a sip)

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: August 13, 2013 10:02AM

This is what I would say to get the above drink:
"A grande caramel latte, just two shots please." Or, "double grande caramel latte."
Or, "a single tall sugarfree caramel latte."

Depending on the size you want and your sugar choice.
Or maybe you like a lot of caffeine... My husband will order quad grande lattes, four shots! Some coffee stands do ice cream shakes like Arby's and he will ask for five shots or more in one of those.
I can't handle the caffeine and go for decaf because I love the flavor.

A cappuccino is mostly foam with some milk, while a latte is mostly milk with some foam on top.

Man, now I want to make a coffee run!

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: August 13, 2013 09:21AM

Depends on how sweet & creamy you want to go. Coffee drinker likes are wide-ranging, from black/strong to highly diluted/sweetened/flavored.

I prefer a latte version right now. I brew mine at home then add milk to about a 50/50 ratio. No sweetener currently, but for some reason in the winter I like to add honey.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: August 13, 2013 10:03AM

It has to be Italian coffee.

Try a flat white.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.