Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: darksprout ( )
Date: August 13, 2013 10:11PM

No thanks. I've had 8 years already. I'm on a spiritual diet.

Anyway, had my exit interview today just for craps and giggles. It was a bish I hadn't met before.

I was his first resignee, and despite the obligatory "this is one of the hardest things I've ever had to do," he was very respectful.

He heard me out, was understanding about my position, did not try and haggle with me, and was really chill about waving the 30 day waiting period. Went better than I could have hoped.

He promised to get my official letter to me before the end of the week. I emailed membership records on July 15th! 10% and you're in, 1 month and you're out!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 09:29AM

I'm jealous. Something about not resigning is so important to my Mormon family and friends though they know I think it is a bunch of hog wash. They just don't know how brainwashed I think they are.

Not your typical TBMs but die hard membership holders. I don't see how Mormonism benefits them. They are good people in spite of it. Probably like the drama from a built-in community.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 09:38AM

darksprout Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It was a bish I hadn't met before.

Which might be one reason it went easily.

By the time I'd resigned, I'd been inactive for about 25 years and had moved all over the country several times. I had no idea what ward I was supposedly in. I had to call the nearest mission office to find out. I'm not even sure my supposed ward even had my records. So the bishop was very accommodating. I was just a name to him, not one of his sheep.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 02:17PM

I had a similar experience.

The missionaries had tracked me down and I'd told them I wanted to initiate resignation. They'd brought along the HPGL as a chaperone, so he took the message to the local bish... whom I never met. Bishop Dude called me on the phone to confirm I wanted to resign, processed the papers, and I had my letter from SLC about a month later. I didn't even write, email, or initiate any phone call or contact whatsoever. Just threw it down whenever the mishies finally found me.

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 09:39AM

Glad it worked out, and congratulations.

I still struggle, though, with the notion that waiving the 30 day "waiting period" is any kind of act of kindness. You quit. You're done. No one is being nice by saying they'll "waive" something that is in place solely to give the institution time to persuade you to stay with them.

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 09:49AM

Congratulations on an interview that seems to have gone well! Hopefully the bishop will be a man of his word and send in the official paperwork without delay.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 10:01AM

I always think these bishops sound rather arrogant and manipulative even though they come off as decent and better than expected.

To me, that must mean that exmos have had even worse experiences with bishops than these guys who like to rub it in about how they suffer for having to do this dirty resignation business as if they're not the ones supporting a racist, sexist, homophobic, deceitful, and money grubbing cult.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2013 10:14AM by Cheryl.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 10:54AM

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 11:08AM

I've never heard of this 30 day waiting period. Is it new? When I resigned, I sent my letter straight to the big, sterile church bldg. downtown Salt Lake, not talking with any bishop first.

I've have been out 7 years, 7 gorgeous MORmON-Free years.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.