Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 11:01AM

Castrate Rapists.
(Including first time offenders, date rapist)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jonathantech ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 11:11AM

I Think I would rather them be specially treated by professionals that could help them change how they think, but keep a permanent leash on them. Incarceration seems like the right answer to me with a focus on mental health if the professionals think it could really help them. Remember that sometimes we put the wrong people behind bars and permanently damaging someones body when there's a chance they could be innocent seems wrong and would be very wrong if the person was vindicated later.

Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 11:14AM

I can't back this up with any links. And I'm all for reformation, but I thought I'd heard/read that rapists/sex abusers can't really be reformed or changed. All they can really do is suppress and abstain? So castration sounds ideal...?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2013 11:15AM by dogeatdog.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 12:01PM

I say life in prison.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 04:10PM

^Yup^

In theory, I like the idea of castrating sex offenders, chemically or physically, but in reality it doesn't stop rape or sexual abuse.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 11:21AM

I would disagree, because castration deals with testicles, not penises, and rapists who have been castrated are still able to get an erection.

So, are you really asking if anyone would disagree with a rapist's penis being cut off?

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 11:32AM

If you attempt to rob a post office, the minimum prison time is 25 years incarceration.
What if the law makes you aware of the consequences?
Or you carry a gun, you know the consequences of killing a person?

(But hell, gun was a terrible example, I know someone got away with murder very recently)

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 11:40AM

Bad idea.

Rape is a crime of violence, power, and domination.

Even if some altering of the human body would prevent a penile erection, the weapon would simply change to a mop handle or whatever else was convenient.

It would not stop, or probably even slow the amount of rapes. The weapon in the crime is easily replaceable.

It would be a very dangerous thing to encourage society to brutally alter and disfigure people physically to conform to their expectations.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 11:52AM

This!

What is needed is more severe punishment to keep these freaks off the street. A no tolerance policy with years in jail because it's a crime that has a high degree of repeat offenders.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 01:23PM

deco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bad idea.
>
> Rape is a crime of violence, power, and
> domination.

This is the important thing to remember!
>
> Even if some altering of the human body would
> prevent a penile erection, the weapon would simply
> change to a mop handle or whatever else was
> convenient.
>
> It would not stop, or probably even slow the
> amount of rapes. The weapon in the crime is easily
> replaceable.

Exactly!!
>
> It would be a very dangerous thing to encourage
> society to brutally alter and disfigure people
> physically to conform to their expectations.

I agree. This goes into a lot of different areas including reproductive organs.

The real question is how to stop the violent act of rape when it's acceptable in some religions.

Date: August 15, 2013 02:03PM

then too f'n bad for them.

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 11:49AM

That would only work if rape was all about sex. Rape is about power and control. A castrated rapist would just change to a different violent behavior.

Date: August 15, 2013 12:00PM

I'd be more in favor of LIFE IN PRISON ;-)

Date: August 15, 2013 12:03PM

would be a lesser crime than raping somebody in an alley.
IMO, it's even worse. Somebody you trusted commits a violent crime against you.

Posted by: frogdogs ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 01:42PM

As much as the thought of being raped by a stranger scares the shit out of me, I can personally attest that being raped by someone you thought cared about you is utterly devastating.

It happened to when I was 20, boyfriend of about 6 months who was 10 years older than me.

The assault wasn't violent enough to leave physical evidence that would have been useful in court and because we had a sexually active relationship at the time it occurred, I couldn't see a way I'd ever be successful getting him convicted. Even worse than that: he didn't wear a condom, so pregnancy and abortion resulted. 1989 was pretty much the worst year of my life.

While it wouldn't upset me at all to know he was castrated, I'd rather the bastard rot (humanely) in prison.

Date: August 15, 2013 02:05PM

Which is exactly what rapists deserve.

Posted by: Xq ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 01:08PM

I would hold such punishment to be cruel and unusual.

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 01:16PM

While I think it fitting the crime to dismember the rapist, it wouldn't stop them from performing sex crimes in the future, as has been noted, they simply would use hands, broom handles, or whatever else was at hand to do the deed, it really is about power and not about sex drive.

Posted by: darksided ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 01:17PM

I disagree with it

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 01:20PM

Teach people what consent is, what rape is, that there is no excuse, that victim blaming is vile, etc.

Some rapists are ignorant, angry and can be rehabilitated -- I'm all for that.

Sexual predators do not respond to treatment well, however, and are unlikely to be rehabilitated. I'd love to see life in prison for them under humane conditions.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 01:41PM

So what if the rapist is female?

Date: August 15, 2013 02:06PM

And also shows how castration doesn't work.
Prison.

Posted by: bigrj ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 01:49PM

No way. Its cruel and unusual. Also people have been falsely accused and convicted of rape. I think what will happen in the future will be better machine learned facial recognition coupled with alerting systems. So if your Google hlass or iPhone detects a convicted rapist near by it would just immediately alert you. Date rape would become unrepeatable.

Date: August 15, 2013 02:07PM

Often it's not reported or no charges are brought.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 02:01PM

You could castrate a rapist and you could even lop everything off and guess what? If someone wanted to intimidate and overpower someone, they will find something to violate that person with. Like a broken beer bottle.

I don't see how that's helpful.

And, as a survivor, I find it really unhelpful to suggest violence to remedy violence. It wouldn't make me feel any better at all; in fact, it would make me feel much worse.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 02:08PM

Agreed... mutilation/violence/death are used in many Islamic countries as punishment for these types of crimes. Allowing this type of punishment in more developed countries would be like going backwards 1000 years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2013 02:10PM by hangar18.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 03:31PM

There have been incidents where castrated rapists used other tools viz: wood, metal, or rubber as penetrators.
Therefore this proceedure is probably inefective as a deterrent.

Posted by: skeptifem ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 03:38PM

quinlansolo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Castrate Rapists.
> (Including first time offenders, date rapist)

I disagree. I have been raped but I do not feel like mutilation of rapists is the answer. I also fear that such a permanent solution would maim people who were convicted falsely.

What I really would like is for rapists to be faced with the enormity of their crime, to understand, to be rehabilitated if possible (and locked away if not possible).

I would also like preventative education for young boys and men about what constitutes rape and the effect it has on victims. That would be so much more important than harsh punishment after the fact. an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, and all that.

Posted by: Lurkinin ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 04:05PM

I would.

Rape is very simple and yet can be a very complex issue. Every single accusation of rape should be considered on its own merit.

There is stranger on stranger rape. This is usually only about power and control.

There is also many varieties of non-consensual sex between known persons.

Consensual sex (seduction) between adults and preadults is very common, but considered rape in most cases. I have seen a great many marriages begin in this way, some lasting decades. Castration? Perhaps a little too harsh for most of these.

Then we have the dumb-ass rapists. This is where you have to explain to your perp that even though he managed to get the clothing off of an emotionally vulnerable date the "consensual" part of the sex ended and he officially became a rapist the moment she said, "no, I'm not ready."

A friend of mine is a victim's advocate who just a short time ago was frustrated by just such a situation from a young person who had gone through the "what's expected of you" training class less than a week earlier. His excuse? "It was the heat of the moment, she was naked right there under me. I couldn't stop." Advocate's response? "If your mom had walked into the room, you would have been able to stop. Congratulations. You're now a criminal with a record, DumbASS!"

I think castration may be too harsh a lesson even for a dumbass like this. His carma may be to father four daughters that will drive him crazy with worry fearing guys just like he was as a much younger man.

And, unfortunately, there are still men and women out there who wrongly accuse an innocent party of the crime of rape when no such thing even remotely occured.(Basically a "rape" of sorts in reverse.) This is very hard to extricate oneself from. Motives for this reverse crime range from being extremely immature, or insecure to simply being outright evil and bent upon vengeance for some real or imagined sight or insult of the past. Should a person wrongly accusing someone of rape have their reproductive abilities removed from them forever? Most would probably recommend therapy, however unlikely to improve a false accuser's mental state.

Rape is all too often a horrible, terrifying and violent crime upon the unwilling that can and often does leave scars lasting a lifetime, and such should never be minimized or tolerated.

Our best defense against these crimes is preemptive education and a society that doesn't tolerate it socially, or passively, as in our entertainment.

As for punitive measures against those guilty of rape, that will depend upon the experience and wisdom of those tasked to hear the crime. That is a heavy burden, indeed. To weigh the balance of justice between crime and vengeance. A godly calling, indeed.

Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 04:13PM

I think some muslim countries do hack off members as punishment. However, with this we're bordering on sharia law. Best to lock them up and throw away the key.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2013 04:13PM by Mormoney.

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 04:18PM

In addition to some of the points already made regarding control and comination, the challenge with things like castration and capital punishment is they can't be undone in the event that new evidence proves someone's innocence.

Posted by: Other Than ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 04:34PM

Yeah, that's a great power to put in a government's hands; to mutilate citizens. Nothing could go wrong with that!

How you treat the least regarded in society is how mature your society is. A "one knife fits all crime" approach is about as barbaric as a society can get.

And considering how inaccurate our criminal justice system is, how unreliable eye-witness testimony is (yes, even in cases of rape), and how little this would actually affect crime rates, this doesn't even cross the threshold of reasonable ideas.

Revenge fantasy isn't justice and our criminal justice system should not be used as such. Raping a rapist isn't justice, nor is castrating them, or torturing them. We are not Romans throwing prisoners to the lions for amusement. And if we were, I would gladly welcome the complete destruction of such a worthless and violent society.

Posted by: BurnEmAll ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 04:54PM

We need to take baby steps if we're ever going to change something like this. The first area of reform would be to target pedophiles and make sure we get that under control. We run into the same sets of problems as has already been mentioned above, namely, false accusations. Avoiding this requires a serious overhaul of our current version of penal codes in the system. Too many situations qualify an individual to be labeled a pedophile or sex offender.

We want to only target truly deranged and sick-minded individuals who have committed such a horrible crime. I don't have the answer for "what" the changes are just that they need to be addressed.

Once we can better identify peds/sex offenders we need to swiftly eradicate these individuals so as not to allow them any chance whatsoever to repeat the offense. I am talking about individuals who are truly guilty of these crimes against children. One strike and you're out.

My vote is to simply let the family of the child have first dibs on the perp in a confined room with an assortment of "tools" at their disposal. A more humane option that has been brought to my attention would be to drop them off on a truly secluded island with other perps and let them create their own corrupt society where they can prey on each other. Every 6 months we wipe the island clean to keep costs down.

In the end we will set a standard for what we as a human race will accept and what we deem as inappropriate. Once you violate a child you Re truly no longer a human being. You therefore lose your "human rights" and are dealt with like the rabid dog you have become. I believe crimes of this nature will decrease due to the obvious consequences being administered to convicted individuals.

Curious on feedback.

Posted by: tapirsaddle ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 04:55PM

That won't stop rape. That is concentrating on rape as a problem of individuals.

What will stop rape, is the end of sexism and patriarchy. When women are seen as inferior, and the goal of sex is purely the man's pleasure, rape will be widespread.

When we stop:

Body policing
Slut shaming
Sexual harrassment
Victim blaming
Etc.

Only then will we stop rape.

Posted by: lecturne ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 06:12PM

You are completely neglecting male on male, female on female, and female on male rape.

This has nothing to do with patriarchy.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.