Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: StoneInHat ( )
Date: August 17, 2013 12:00AM

I bring this topic up because Card is a known LDS author. Anyone have any opinion on O.S. Card? I read his book "Saints" about 10 years ago and felt like he was really grasping at straws when it came to how he presented polygamy. I'm reading "Ender's Game" right now and I like it. I'm actually suprised at the profanity considering he's an LDS author and all that.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: suzanne ( )
Date: August 17, 2013 12:02AM

I like Enders game, but card is an ass.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: August 17, 2013 12:21AM

is he part of the clan that the cardston temple is named after? was actress day wray (of king Kong fame) a relation?

Posted by: Inverso ( )
Date: August 17, 2013 10:31AM

He is the great-grandson of the founder of Cardston but he wasn't born there. I don't think he's connected to Faye Wray's family.

OSC was a favorite student in college of a relative of mine who taught Sci-Fi and fantasy at BYU and whose family was from Alberta. Even though both the relative and Card spent their life elsewhere, people with Cardston connections tend to at least know about each others' families.

Posted by: mindog ( )
Date: August 17, 2013 12:44AM

I love Ender's Game. It's still one of my favorite books. It's also Card's first book.

It's also the only book by him that I've read that I really really liked. Ender's Shadow and Speaker for the Dead are ok, everything else that I've tried has been pretty mediocre.

Posted by: David Jason ( )
Date: August 17, 2013 11:15AM

I loved Speaker for the Dead as much, but in a different way then Enders Game. I never read the Shadow series. You're darn right about Xenocide and Children of the Mind, they suck. I only read them because I wanted to know what would happen to Ender.

Posted by: mindog ( )
Date: August 17, 2013 12:08PM

Ender's Shadow is just Ender's Game from Bean's perspective. Not as good, but fine.

Posted by: Gay Philosopher ( )
Date: August 17, 2013 01:03AM

The self-righteous and contemptuous jackass, Mormon Scott Card, is an anti-gay bigot and hate monger.

Steve

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: August 17, 2013 01:52AM

Was so talented, and blessed? compared to homophobe, bigot Card.

Posted by: I believed this all, once... ( )
Date: August 17, 2013 10:02AM

Even his early, most well-written books had an understone that I did not care for, and as he became increasingly famous and wealthy the tone of his books got ugly. (Example: "Hamlet's Father")

He has used his power of wordcraft in a threatening and hateful way.

Posted by: Chromesthesia ( )
Date: August 17, 2013 06:50PM

What is wrong with him?! Dang, he just gets on my nerves and he's not even that good a writer the way he switches from third person to first person in every book he writes and lectures the reader about marriage and babies.

Posted by: hard6 ( )
Date: August 17, 2013 12:27PM

Read Ender's Game, loved it. Attemped to read the Call of Earth series, but could never make it past the first book because it was soooooo boring. I learned, shortly after trying to slog through it, that the Call of Earth series is based on the Book of Mormon. I guess that's why I couldn't finish it.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: August 17, 2013 03:55PM

Mormonism's L. Ron Hubbard.

Posted by: Chromesthesia ( )
Date: August 17, 2013 05:04PM

He annoys me

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 17, 2013 06:38PM

I have not read any of his books....and given who he is, won't.

Ron Burr

Posted by: Anon for now ( )
Date: August 17, 2013 06:52PM

Card's first books weren't great, but were imaginative, different and fairly well written. Some pushed the envelope, especially considering that he was LDS. What I liked most of all is that many had a "rawness" that I like with Sci-Fi writers early in their careers.

One thing I disliked was his sometimes juvenile view of morality--that is, the evil person committed adultery. Genocide wasn't as bad.

Then, in the early 1990s, something changed. In addition to writing a series of extremely derivative works, including his really awful retelling of the Book of Mormon, he edited many of his previous works, removing some of that "rawness" and adding contrived morality. Like many directors, writers and other artists, he claimed he was just adjusting his writing to his true vision. Nonsense.

I believe part of this is that OSC got [even more] full of himself and was embarassed by some of the crudeness in his earlier works. But there seems to be more; it seems he "got religion." His hatred and bigotry has become skin deep and very ugly. Of course, his bigotry can be adjusted to sell movie tickets so he had no integrity even in that.

The man is a pig.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: August 17, 2013 06:59PM

I get why Mormons are into Orson Scott Card. Mormons try to promote things by other Mormons. What I can't figure out is why ex-Mormons are into him, especially when he's such an asshole. There are so many better authors out there. Branch out. He just isn't that great.

Posted by: StoneInHat ( )
Date: August 17, 2013 07:24PM

It was actually a Catholic friend who turned me onto him. :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.