Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: LikeABoss ( )
Date: August 17, 2013 10:20AM

I recently made a deal with my Mother who is a very kooky TBM. I love her with all my heart but she truly is on the fringes of Mormonism.

For the last few months she has been joking with me saying I should read a book that she has found to be truly inspiring and interesting. I have declined saying I wasn't interested. I then recently read Jeremy Runnels' CES Letter (http://mormonthink.com/personalstories/A_Letter_to_a_CES_Director.pdf) and was very impressed. That letter truly is EVERYTHING I've wanted to tell others when they ask why exactly my Wife and I have left the church. I sent a text to my Mother saying I had a deal for her. I would read her book if she would read one of mine - she agreed! So here's the deal:

I read 'Visions of Glory' by John Pontius and she reads Jeremy Runnells' letter. WOW - how great is that?!? I am already about 20 pages into her book and it is quite the joke. I have already found one very effective way to prove the book is a sham (but really don't want to waste my time or resources doing so). That being said, I feel it is a small price to pay to give my Mother the opportunity to read some truly disturbing facts about her religion.

One more funny thing about this, her Bishop found out that she has been telling people about the Pontius book and got called in to be told that she really shouldn't be reading that as it isn't in line with the teachings of the Church. She told me it didn't matter what he said because he didn't fully understand. My reply: Shouldn't you be listening to the Bishop of your Ward? She said I was mocking but I was truly asking her since I do seem to remember the Bishop being sold to me as an inspired leader called of God to lead my Ward. I love Chuck-A-Rama Mormons!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jong1064 ( )
Date: August 17, 2013 10:26AM

Wow, it sounds like your mom might just be ready to open up a little. Great job!

Posted by: Claire ( )
Date: August 17, 2013 10:30AM

Oh brother.
A member gets called in for reading a particular book?

What's next, book burning campaigns?

Mormon behavior is getting crazier each year.

And to think that this whole 'church' is built on a made up book, already disproved by DNA.

Posted by: ChrisDeanna ( )
Date: August 17, 2013 05:08PM

My (adopted-as-an-adult) TBM mother has been listening to my debating about the COJCOLDS.

She told me that recently she told her home teachers that she was tired of the "Penis-Hood."

"Noooooooooooo," I said. The nice man from the church will think you are going inactive/rouge/non-mo because that is a term used by people who are not happy with the way priesthood holders handle things.

She said, "I know!" He needed to hear it!"

You go mamma!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.