Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: David Jason ( )
Date: August 17, 2013 12:49PM

So since leaving the church I have had to learn about self-worth. I understand that we have worth regardless of achievements and short-comings. I feel like this makes a lot of sense and is a much better foundations for self-worth.

I am struggling a little bit with how to develop a desire to accomplish goals. Since my achievements and short-comings don't come from a place of self-worth, I don't feel the same desperation to accomplish goals I once had. Can anyone help recommend a good book or maybe some strategies on how to drive yourself to accomplish goals?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: August 17, 2013 02:13PM

I am almost 80 years old
I recently discovered a truly great formula for hand and bath soap. I enjoy making and marketing it.
My point---
Find anything even very small and pursue it to completion.
You will develope the habit of desire.

Posted by: myantonia ( )
Date: August 18, 2013 03:27AM

THIS: +1000

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2013 03:27AM by myantonia.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: August 18, 2013 03:25AM

If you just left, it might take a while to find what's going to be motivating to you when you don't have the same pressure to be "perfect" and prove yourself. You've been through some big changes, so maybe you just need to relax and heal.

BTW, my husband absolutely HATES GOALS. He's more of the type that will decide he wants to do something, and then just does it. I, on the other hand, have always been a list-maker and a goal-setter.

He gets a lot done. So do I (but never as much as I planned). The difference is that he's a lot less stressed out than I am.

Do goals actually make us happier? Do they work? I think it depends on how you use them. But I'm pretty sure they can make us miserable, if misused.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2013 03:27AM by imaworkinonit.

Posted by: StoneInHat ( )
Date: August 18, 2013 03:43AM

I've had the same experience. We're no longer using some un-achievable standard to measure ourselves. Our self-worth is the human experience. Just being part of this human experience means that there is greatness in us.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.