Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: August 19, 2013 01:58PM

when it seems to have as a major theme the horribleness of the haves vis-a-vis the have-nots? Prosperity always seems to bring out the worst in the here-to-fore righteous, and consequently justify the deity in allowing the unrighteous to do them in!

Yet today we see Mitt Romney, a capitalist predator of the first water, held up as a role model for penishood holders. Why can't they see the contradiction?

Shaking-my-head-sadly-ly yrs,

S

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: August 19, 2013 02:09PM

I think the real challenge of the BoM being the cornerstone is that if you dropped one in a village cut off from the rest of the world, and they chose to live by it, you'd get a religion that looked nothing like TSCC.

Which isn't to say you'd end up with a particularly bad religion, but you would see a church that looked nothing like a Mormon church.

Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: August 19, 2013 02:16PM

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: August 19, 2013 02:53PM

This could be a fun topic to explore. What sort(s) of religion/cultures might arise from BoM (and only BoM) influence?

Posted by: magnite ( )
Date: August 19, 2013 02:20PM

Some in TSCC look at it like this:

If the BOM is true, the JS was a profit. If JS was a profit, then the TSCC is true because it was "restored" by him.

Kind of a warped logic to it, but I used it on my mishen long ago. There were books published with this logic, I think there is/was one called "BOM key to conversion" written some time ago.

There are many problem with this logic because there are too many variables within the tought train; So what "if" BOM is all a lie, could JS still be a profit? What "if" JS had some inspiration and lost it all? If the BOM is true, then couldn't the RLDS be true also? And so on and so on...

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: August 19, 2013 02:33PM

Right before my mission, someone gave me a small booklet called "The Book of Mormon -- Key to Conversion", and used that logic as it's basis. Well, the sword cuts both ways. The one and only encounter with missionaries after my resignation took place on my porch. They ask what my issues were, and I told them that the Book of Mormon was the key to my unconversion, and went into the basic issues of DNA, no worked metal, animals and plants, and other things that led me to the truth of the church.

The Book of Mormon is fake so JS can't be a prophet, so the church ain't true. Easy Peasy.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: August 19, 2013 02:37PM

I've thought about this as well. Many early members that fell away believed that Joseph was a fallen prophet. I even have TBM family that believe that this is a possibility, and that maybe polygamy was a mistake. They still think that it's possible that all of his revealed doctrine is correct, even though it was received while Joseph was living out a vile existence. They agree that Brigham was a terrible man, but they still believe that the true church could have been lead by him for decades. I don't understand it.

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: August 19, 2013 09:38PM

I believed that. I thought that polygamy and the destruction of the printing press in violation of the first amendment to, the divinely inspired, constitution, were the reasons that JS fell and God allowed him to be killed. And then I found out about the various versions of the first vision.....

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: August 19, 2013 02:27PM

Oh I would love my early 80's missionary flip charts. Remember the build a block drawing of a chapel, "Church"

Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith, keystones, cornerstones. I can't remember where Jesus Christ was, but he wasn't that important in the early 80's, reference Bruce R. McConkie and then works not grace/atonement.

So many quotes confirming this--these are so discredited now that the Mormonism of 1980 has to go away.

Mormonism 8.0 by my count, can't pin down the shift, probably ETB to GBH. GBH was a big player in the downfall of Mormonism, he avoided taking on the big issues and was in power up front or behind the scenes for a long, long time.

Date: August 19, 2013 02:30PM

gentlestrength Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh I would love my early 80's missionary flip
> charts. Remember the build a block drawing of a
> chapel, "Church"
>
> Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith, keystones,
> cornerstones. I can't remember where Jesus Christ
> was, but he wasn't that important in the early
> 80's, reference Bruce R. McConkie and then works
> not grace/atonement.
>
> So many quotes confirming this--these are so
> discredited now that the Mormonism of 1980 has to
> go away.
>
> Mormonism 8.0 by my count, can't pin down the
> shift, probably ETB to GBH. GBH was a big player
> in the downfall of Mormonism, he avoided taking on
> the big issues and was in power up front or behind
> the scenes for a long, long time.

Please stop gs...you are making me feel old!!! ;)

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: August 19, 2013 02:37PM

Ummmmm....... because the Book of MORmON is a POS, and MORmONISM is a POS religion based on the Book of MORmON.

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: August 19, 2013 03:19PM

Packham has an excellent comparison/contrast of Book of Mormon teachings vs modern-day mormon doctrine.

http://packham.n4m.org/bomvslds.htm

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: August 19, 2013 03:23PM

http://www.ldschurchnews.com/articles/63847/Keystone-of-our-religion.html

Recent Church News article affirming keystone status of things that are uniquely Mormon.

Therefor, since they are false, Mormonism crumbles. It's not just another nicely e to get to know Jesus and friends.

Posted by: YankeePeddler ( )
Date: August 19, 2013 03:32PM

Having trouble signing in, but thought that this was apropos.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-lockard/the-book-of-mormons-warni_b_3774152.html

I don't even.....

Date: August 19, 2013 08:53PM

Humm...and I live Utah down the road from them both... :P

Posted by: spanner ( )
Date: August 19, 2013 10:52PM

That is stunning. The Huffpo are having a laugh with this guy. It is like "look at the bullet we missed last election!"

Posted by: exdrymo ( )
Date: August 19, 2013 09:53PM

Actually it sounds about right.

In a real building, the cornerstone is laid with much pomp and ceremony at the beginning of construction. After that it's simply an ornament.

Historians or Tourists passing by 150 years later might take a fleeting interest, but no one who actually lives or works in the building consults it for their daily lives.

I would venture to bet that the cornerstone of most buildings could be removed without the building falling down.

The BOM IS the Cornerstone or maybe the gravestone of TSCC, but not a keystone, lintel or column footing.

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: August 19, 2013 09:55PM

Actually, while I didn't correct it earlier since people didn't go with you kind of analogy, I should point out here that the introduction to the BoM quotes JS calling it the "Keystone", not the "Cornerstone".

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/bofm/introduction?lang=eng

But I think you could fairly say the BoM is more a cornerstone than a keystone, based on your arguments.

Posted by: exdrymo ( )
Date: August 19, 2013 10:11PM

Dang! Sorry. As Roseanne Roseannadanna said... "never mind".

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: August 19, 2013 10:55PM

The cornerstone of the Citibank building

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Citigroup.center.JPG

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2013 11:07PM by ozpoof.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.