Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: turnonthelights ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 05:15PM

After researching human evolution I find it highly unlikely that Adam And Eve could have existed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 05:17PM

Yeah, TBM DW.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 05:19PM

Accept evolution as a fact.

They just keep the ideas incredibly compartmentalized in their brain holes.

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 05:19PM

That's really sweet Cludgie! Hope you're not "ribbing" us ... lol!

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 07:56PM

I wish I were just "ribbing" you. *nyuk-nyuk* But this is the one doctrine that the LDS church has really painted itself into the corner with. I mean, no one in their right mind would believe in it, right? And yet there's that whole schtick about Adam-ondi-Ahman, and the pile of rocks that Joseph Smith said was the remnant of Adam's alter upon which he did the "pay-lay-ale!" thing on. You can go visit it and everything. My sister went and visited it on the church's "history" tour. People shed tears when they see it. So people like DW are forced to believe it, knowing that it's silly, but hoping it's just another thing that'll be sorted out in the hereafter along with every other doubt. If you don't believe it, you are not worthy for the temple.

Posted by: msp ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 12:09PM

So this altar built by Adam can (according to them) survive the flood, and the geological upheaval after Christ's death, yet the Nephite civilization ultimately disappears without a single trace? Why would God leave evidence of Adam and not of the Nephites?

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 01:50PM

Is the pile of rocks still there or is it just the hill people visit?

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 05:21PM

...well, it would seem Adam and Eve screwed up. They had it made. As told to the masses, it was in God's eternal plan that they NEEDED to screw up to facilitate mortality and the "Eternal Plan". Besides, who would take advice from a damned snake?...............

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 05:29PM

Yes, they are the first hybrid humans. The Cylons helped, of course.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 05:36PM

I know some people "who BELIEVE!". Most are TBMs but some are fundies. Because I don't believe everything in the Bible to be literal, I got turned down for church membership recently.

When, in the temple, I watched the video about Adam and Eve, at least that first time it was only "a similitude" but with the 1990 change elminating the oaths, they took those words out. Hence, mos are taught in a literal Adam and Eve. Heck, JS even showed them where Eden was! JS wrote in the BoM about the Tower of Babel as literal. Mos almost have to believe in the story of Adam and Eve as literal.

Posted by: boydslittlefactory ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 06:39PM

Especially if it was the mormon church that turned you down for membership.

Posted by: flanders ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 05:40PM

Yes I fervently believe in Adam and Eve...

-Adam West
-Eve Arden

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 05:42PM

...well, for sure Eve Arden. Doubt few folks here would recognize her name and TV show.........

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 05:47PM

Our Miss Brooks! I loved that show! And Richard Crenna was in it! He used a weird voice.

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 01:46PM

Adam West -- hey that's the guy that does the voice over for the mayor of Qhahog in Family Guy!

Posted by: judyblue ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 05:42PM

Chicken, I heart you.

It was actually the realization that the church takes the Adam and Eve story as literal that snapped me out of it. When I finally opened myself up to the possibility that the church wasn't true, and decided to look at the gospel from an objective viewpoint and try and see whether or not it stood up, the first thing I did was open my Bible. I read the first 28 verses of Genesis, chapter 1, and said aloud, "This is all bullshit."

The thing is, I had never believed that Adam and Eve were literal. I always believed it was metaphorical, and I was never taught that there was any conflict between evolution and mormon doctrine. Pure cognitive dissonance. As soon as that broke, the whole thing came crashing down.

Posted by: pop-tong ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 06:22PM

Such a good question.

I had a similar experience: sitting in sac meeting in my BYU ward when the speaker (high council member) started blathering on about how "We" believe in the literal interpretation of the bible.

I thought... gee I don't believe all those stories really happened, surely many of them are metaphor etc.etc..

What a can of worms!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 05:45PM

Not literally. I take the Adam and Eve story as perhaps an ancestral remembrance about what it was like to come into self consciousness as our species evolved. And also about what it was like to leave the verdant African rainforest/jungle for the harsh, dry savannah (the banishment from "the garden.")

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2013 05:46PM by summer.

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 08:05PM

I believe The Naked Ape talks about this. IIRC, The naked ape exlanation is that the Adam-Eve myth is about the transition from humans being hunter-gatherers to figuring out that they could stay in one place and grow their own food, and deciding what kind of foods to eat. Its a fable that is as old as the neolithic revolution, which took place long before the Israelites existed.

Posted by: BG ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 06:08PM

Posted by: papadoc ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 09:17AM

Great study there from Nature.

If I ever come here and find I don't get smarter in the process, I won't come again.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 06:29PM

I believe in the Sassy Gay Friend version of Adam and Eve!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQhkzYVlLl8

Posted by: destiny ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 07:27PM

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 07:30PM

I do. They are one of the best on-line sex shops on the entire internet. Let me tell you, the leather-man suit I bought on clearance from them was top notch.

Posted by: mankosuki ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 07:37PM

That's what came to my mind too. 'Sure, Adam and Eve is a great adult store. What's not to believe?' Then I realized it was the Biblical theme they were asking about.

Posted by: Lasvegasrichard ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 07:39PM

Of course . They were brought here in a spaceship in a test tube . Problem being is the amusement park was already full .

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 07:51PM

Which ones?....

The black ones?
The white ones?
The brown ones?
The yellow ones?

The red ones?

I think I covered most of them...

To answer; not really

Posted by: crowbone ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 07:55PM

I think mitochondrial eve is to have lived in Africa some 150,000-200,000 years ago and Y chromosome Adam maybe 60,000 years ago or so. So I guess I believe in Adam and Eve in a genetic sort of way.

Posted by: homoerectus ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 01:41PM

Other way around on the dating...but its speculation.

Date: August 21, 2013 01:31PM

They becomes even less likely once you learn about human genetics

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2013 01:53PM by homoerectus.

Date: August 21, 2013 01:34PM

I just talked to a few LDS today. They now claim the the Fall of Adam and Eve was actually them having sex with pre Adamites.

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 01:46PM

My parents claim to believe the earth is only 6,000 years old.

Posted by: Rowell back ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 01:49PM

They were the best great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great grandparents a young Mormon boy could ever have!

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 02:13PM

Something like half of all Americans don't believe in evolution so Mormons are certainly not in the minority with the Adam & Even belief.

It was something I struggled with as a TBM. I figured they were real but the story was somewhat simplified. I thought maybe the 6 days of creation were just symbolic of the billions of years since the big bang. I tried to rationalize that Adam & Eve were the first "intelligent" human beings in the successive line of caveman who were evolving into modern human beings.

So much dis cog when i was Mormon. So glad I don't to contort my thinking to try and make my beliefs fit. Its great to have the freedom to believe in things that actually make sense to me.

Posted by: ab ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 02:13PM

I teach at psychology at jr. college in the South. One of my classrooms is used for history. There is a world history chart on the wall of my class room that starts history with Adam. So, he must be real.
Seriously though I have just been thinking of having a talk with the history department head.
Also, here is an excellent RSA video which indicates that about 150,000 years ago genetics is showing an Adam that they are claiming we are all descended from. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7AWnfFRc7g

The garden of Eden works on an abstract level. It speaks to mankind (and each person) coming into a sense of self and separation from other people.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 02:15PM

What do you mean still?

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 02:19PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.