Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: exbishfromportland ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 12:36AM

"Once again our critics ask us about the Book of Abraham and so once again we will answer their questions. The question is: Are we certain that one of the figures on the facsimile is in fact a slave? First of all, it is well known that in the midst of the Civil War Abraham Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation with the purpose of freeing all the slaves. In spite of what the enemies of the church say, this is established fact. And Lincoln was a good president, so well respected that the town of Lincoln Nebraska was named after him. And as we know, Nebraska was the location of Winter Quarters, the place where the Saints endured great hardship for their beliefs. So, let the doubters condemn themselves. Many righteous Saints perished at Winter Quarters and we are proud of their sacrifice.”

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 12:54AM

I am in awe. Be careful they don't come trying to recruit you.

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 01:26AM

who?
where?
ok apologist, I apologize for anyone who said that.

But, Winter Quarters was actually in Iowa...not Nebraska...Omaha lies across the Missouri River from Winter Quarters (present day Council Bluffs Iowa).
Lincoln is 60 miles away.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 09:37AM

I don't know that we teach that, amos2.

;o)

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 12:42PM

Some facts are not very useful!

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 02:22AM

Typical of an Apologist not to fact check. Now the apologist can say people concerned with the facts will miss the important truths delivered by the Spirit that they missed because man refuses to relinquish his pride and resists feeling the spirit. Dam Facts.

Date: August 21, 2013 02:47AM

Fact checks would have broken up the tangential nonsense. When they're on a roll facts get in the way!

Date: August 21, 2013 02:47AM

btw: good catch, amos2!

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 09:33AM

And thus we see how the adversary will split hairs in a devious effort to blind us to the intended message!

Posted by: bulldogge ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 02:51AM

Lately it seems that LDS appologists are gone. Now they just straight out deny any of this.

~ LDS never supported polygamy
~ LDS never supported racism

etc, etc, etc....

Then instead of going to look for themselves, they call you a liar, even when your tellin them to go straight to the LDS website to find the information.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 08:19AM

LOL! Well, I'm going back to church!

Posted by: spicyspirit ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 08:49AM

That made not one ounce of sense.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 08:55AM

Apolotician: n. religious zealot who uses political doublespeak to confuse the issues

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2013 09:22AM by breedumyung.

Posted by: heypal ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 09:06AM

Good job! Right up there with Otter's speech in 'Animal House'.

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 12:13AM

"An Indictment of the fraternity because of only a few bad apples?.......Indeed is this an indictment of the entire American System, ...well I can tell you one thing we are not going to stand here and let you bad mouth America!" - Otter

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 09:12AM

Silly critics!

The question you “should” have asked was about Lincoln and slaves, not about the BOA!

exbishfromportland, your apologetic logic is spot on. Thanks to the likes of Daniel Peterson my exit from mormonism was hastened.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2013 09:15AM by AmIDarkNow?.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 01:21PM

Posted by: Z ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 03:18PM

This is pretty much a summary of every FAIR article I have ever read. Almost every time there is this gigantic, wordy, completely unrelated deviation right in the middle after it introduces the issue, and then out of no where they have this magical conclusion at the end that just... makes no sense, especially being confused after reading so much crap that is entirely unrelated... its bizarre.

Posted by: CTRRingturnsmyfingergreen ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 03:26PM

Read the first sentence and the last sentence in sequence. Has there ever been two more unrelated sentences back to back?

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 03:31PM

My problem with much of what I have read is the tone/attitude.

It's to often condescending and pompous.

They will often use "a thousand words to describe a gnats eyebrow"!(That and the letters after their name is supposed to instill some kind of superior knowledge.)

They go on and on concluding: You poor thing, I'll just have to educate you and apparently teach you again that you need to pray more ...!

It reminds me of the old age: "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.