Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 06:15AM

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/10036964.Missionary_at_Mormon_church_jailed_for_grooming_teenager/

Pageant publicity is being outdone by such stories. No wonder the church is tanking here in the North of England. Pageant got a short piece from their PR Dept aired here but this news has undone them in the North I think.

Briggy

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jong1064 ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 06:28AM

Who else thinks it's funny that a Marriott ad pops up next to this article?

Posted by: caffiend not logged in ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 06:33AM

So who else do we know goes after 14-year-old girls?

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 06:42AM

Only doing what his founding prophet did. Why be so harsh on the guy?

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 07:18AM

Don't get me wrong, this guy is a turd, and what he did was horrible, but Joe Smith was in his late twenties, early thirties when he was going all the way with young girls this age, which makes the prophet a rapist.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 07:16AM

Oh dear. It is a shame that President Paternoster is still not alive. The Brits need someone to point out to them that it isn't Mathias Heinrichs, it's Elder Heinrichs. How disrespectful of the kid's religious beliefs.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 07:23AM

It is called a "worthiness interview"

This missionary is practicing to be a bishop.

Perhaps a better question might be why this is systematic policy of LDS Inc.

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 07:26AM

Actually, he has a history of creeping out little girls in his own ward/branch here in Holland. Apparently the YW regularly complained about him but nothing formal, as far as I understand. What better way to cure him than send him on a mission?

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 11:17AM

I know the family name quite well.. big shots, mormon royalty...

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 07:31AM

I think we all know that if Joe Smith had had a cell phone, he would've been getting under-age photos and more sent to him.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 08:18AM

He wouldn't have limited himself to young girls.

And a honk of my horn to my friend... Saw your sunglasses in my glove box yesterday, and I seem emotionally incapable of tossing them, so you'll just have to pick them up one of these times... (big smiley face)

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 10:12AM

Oh, you should definitely get rid of those glasses. They're incredibly cheap throwaways. Next time I am in SLC, we will definitely grab lunch.

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 07:32AM

.... and I thought it was because he had brushed her hair .....

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 07:51AM

Where was his companion in all of this?

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 08:23AM

Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 10:20AM

This is what they routinely do with their sexual abuse incidents in the US. They pay out big money to buy their silence. I guess they don't garner that much influence and legal muscle in Europe. I am sure their PR department is squirming over this one.

Posted by: jkjkjkjkjk ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 10:37AM

'Mormon missionaries' beat and rob victim at gunpoint after knocking on his door for a chat about religion

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2398531/Las-Vegas-Mormon-missionaries-beat-rob-victim-gunpoint.html#ixzz2cc9A6TC1

Another story out in the UK today. Granted it happened in Las Vegas but it was in a UK site.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 11:20AM

Here is a Mormon Infographic with a Joseph Smith image superimposed over Warren Jeff's face in the photos where he is with one of his child brides.

http://www.mormoninfographics.com/search?updated-max=2012-08-02T20:09:00-07:00&max-results=4&start=32&by-date=false

Claims of frontier marriages and disparity between males and females are false. Average frontier age of marriage in the 1830s, 40s, and 50s was around 20 and 21 with the age gap between men and women being around 4 years.

If an expert claims this as fact he can be directly called a deceiver/liar for knowingly claiming this to be a fact, or for false claiming to be an expert.

He or she cannot have it both ways.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 11:36AM

I can't find this news story anywhere on the Deseret News website (imagine that!), therefore it is not true! It's just anti-Mormon LIES!!!

;-)

Horrible behaviour from that young man. I hope he enjoys his time in jail.

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 01:46PM

I just noticed the dateline on the story is 7:00am Friday 9th November 2012. Maybe the site re-posted the story because the date at the top of the site shows today's date.

Even if the story is from November 2012, I doubt the Dez-er-ET News would have shared the story with the Saints then or now.

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 11:01PM

That poor young girl, she has be SO traumatised by it all, from just the little she was quoted as saying.

At least the legal system backed her up. Is there any word of the elder being excommunicated. I would HOPE so!!!

Posted by: David Jason ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 11:45PM

Man I read a couple articles on it and the TBM's are victim blaming until the cows come home!

The girls were flirting with him. The main girl has mental issues. I know him he wouldn't do that kind of stuff, He didn't receive a fair trail, Europe hates Mormons, etc, etc.

I read responses from the mother of the main daughter and one of the other victims.

The other victim stated that there was plenty of evidence (cell phones, facebook, letters) The girls felt pressured to talk to him because he was a missionary. He didn't get a trial because he plead guilty.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 11:55PM

Of course the victim should not be blamed.

What this guy did was wrong, but, there are some mitigating factors.

LDS Inc does have some blame here, by trying to short circuit peoples natural urges by their concocted rules designed to control people.

LDS Inc also creates a culture of male dominated power, with women essentially considered chattel. This does not excuse this mans behavior, however, I do hope that the media would spend some time reporting what a mind%$#@ these young people are put through.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 01:23AM

I'll bet he's X'd by now...

Posted by: jackjoseph ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 01:48AM

The article isn't clear whether he finished his mission already or if it was cut short.

... But if it was cut short, he's lucky in a way. 2 years in prison is better than two years as a missionary.

Posted by: austrobrit ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 01:07PM

Crikey, it might be the wrong person, but if he's very tall then he's been to my parent's house - but his mission would have been a while ago now. Strange how my mother only filters through the good news stories for me to hear. I googled quickly, and yes, some of the comments by the 'faithful' are rather 'unchristian' ...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.