Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 04:29PM

Sleepy Head has a thread about telling the women at church that she was starting grad school in 2 weeks and she received very little support from the women at church. The TRUTH is PR department at TSCC portrays education for women but that is just another lie from TSCC.

DW had spent 25 years raising children and decided she no longer wanted to be a SAH mom so she applied to law school and was accepted. Many of her church friends decided they also wanted to finish college and started applying at the local universities.

The Bishopric had a meeting with me where I was told that if I allowed my wife to go to Law School, that she would start thinking and leave the church. We also were told to not encourage the other women to go back to college. Going to college was something each husband and wife should do on their own.

As bad as that sounds, the bishop used the adult meeting to speak about the importance for older women to be an example for the younger ones by being a SAH mom even if you have no children still at home.

By the time we left for law school, we had no friends.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: closer2fine ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 07:16PM

Yes I was raised by the church and my mother, to believe that a woman will only ever be fulfilled when she becomes a stay at home mom.(my mom did stay home, but lived her own life, and I pretty much had zero supervision) I went away to college with my friends (snow college), where the girls were all just "keeping busy" until they could find their rm, and get married. At my dorms they would actually have what we called "ring ceremonies", to announce and admire the lucky girls who became engaged. These girls often dropped out shorly after. Girls who did get their degrees, always seemed to major in something like elementary education, or family studdies. Something they could incorporate with being a stay at home mom. I was totally part of this mentality. Girls who were doing serious studdies, were almost pitied. (No man wants a wife thats more accomplished than him) I admit I was just bidding my time hoping to get married. Plus the fact that my patriarchal blessing said NOTHING about my education, and focused mostly on me being a wife and mother. Regrettably, this was a major influence on me.

Yup, I did get married, and have two awsome kids, but if my life has to continue to revolve around laundry and being the family cook, I might go insane. Not to mention struggling every month on one income. And now that I know the church is all a scam.....

Now I want to go back to school to become a pharmacist. I know I could do it and would really enjoy it. And mentally I am preparing for a future divorce. There you are, I am the prime example of the effects of the mormon mentality. )

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.