Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Serena ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 02:04PM

A community orchestra & choral group has this on their schedule. Does any other religious group use terminology like this, other than Mormons? It seems rather odd, being that most of the members are not Mormon, not by a long shot. I was heavily involved in "mainstream" Protestant churches & music programs for most of my life, and can't recall every hearing or reading this kind of verbiage, outside of Mormonism, which I admit I was never involved in. I am aware of the temple ceremony and the significance of passing through the "sacred veil". This seems rather strange to me, since both the Mozart and the Durufle Requiems, which are on the program, are decidedly not Mormon. This seems like the director (a Mormon) is trying to put a Mormon spin on it. Would this program title make you think of anything other than Mormonism? Of course, those unfamiliar with Mormonism wouldn't understand, but it seems eerie to me, and passing strange.

What do you think?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 02:27PM

If you look up on Amazon.com there are books such as one entitled : Through the Veil: Sacred Relationships, etc. Just google "Through the Veil" and see what comes up from other faiths.

Passing through the veil into the presence of the divine comes from the old testament temple where the high priest entered the presence of God passing through the veil of the temple. Its been a symbol of entering the divine presence long before Joseph Smith appropriated it and created his own version in the LDS temple.

Apparently other religions or spiritual movements still use the original symbolism originating from the old testament.

Posted by: Mr. Dufayel ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 02:36PM

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 04:01PM

Various Christian sects speak of the veil separating heaven and earth. The belief is that Christians will go through the veil to heaven when they die.

This notion is also in Mormonism, but Christians do not picture Joseph Smith or a husband having to be there at the veil to get them through.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.