Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 11:21AM

I've been debating whether or not to read "The Sins of Brother Curtis" but finally decided to. Im in the middle of it right now. That whole story alone should make any sane person question the motives of the "true" church.

I'm also reading the "Dublin Diary."

Whatcha readin'?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 01:34PM

George R.R. Martin's, "A Dance with Dragons."

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 01:41PM

just finished "Dance with Dragons," and bought PZ Myers' new offering "The Happy Atheist."
I have to ration the pages as it is so delicious I want it to last a while.
Otherwise I have one of Neil Gaiman's older books going with Anne McCaffery in the pipeline or two foot stack by the bed.
On Sep 22 I will read aloud at our local library for thirty minutes. I have not chosen a selection from banned reading yet.
I did this last year but forgot what the selection was.
Librarian

Posted by: moxnix ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 01:47PM

Working through a few books right now, such as Brigham Young's 1857 diary and "The Blackwell Companion to Natural Theology".

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 01:49PM

What is BY's diary like?

Posted by: moxnix ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 02:18PM

Chump Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What is BY's diary like?

This one is immensely dull. Most of it just mentions his heath, the weather, and who he talks to or gets letters from that day. The only interesting bit so far is the June 2, 1857 entry (which introduces the foreshadowings of the Morrisite Struggle and also features some weird theological tidbits on marriage). Sometime this fall I'm going to try reading the one published office journal (1858-1863). I've heard that in 1860, the entries start getting some substance to them for a change.

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 02:00PM

Frozen in Time: An Epic Story of Survival and a Modern Quest for Lost Heroes of World War II by Mitchell Zuckoff

http://www.amazon.com/Frozen-Time-Survival-Modern-Heroes/dp/0062133438/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1377280575&sr=1-1&keywords=frozen+in+time

Posted by: Saucie ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 03:10PM

Oh Suzie Q I'm so sorry to hear of your dear husbands death. I didn't know.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 06:36PM

Saucie Wrote:
> Oh Suzie Q I'm so sorry to hear of your dear
> husbands death. I didn't know.

Thank you Saucie. Yes, he became very ill and died in Jan of this year.

Date: August 23, 2013 02:10PM

I just received a copy of the book that is in the BYU library dedicated to my husband after he died, as he was an alumni.

I keep chuckling as it's not anything he would have studied as a BES in Electrical Engineer with a math minor. (1966)

"From Republic to Empire Rhetoric, Religion and Power in the Visual Culture of Ancient Rome" by John Pollini.
Huge, heavy book! Not for nighttime reading. Dropping that on my nose when I fell asleep would probably break it!

I'll start on it soon.

I'm going through my Agatha Christie collection - re-reading some I've read two or three times! Used to have all 80. Need to replace some that wore out.

I predominately stick to mysteries: William Campbell Gault,(deceased) Leonard Tourney (knew both authors), Sue Grafton, Janet Evonavich, Lillian Jackson-Braun, Catherine Coulter, J.A. Jance - will be looking for more mystery authors at the local used book store.

The focus on these authors is the result of reading dozens of books that are more informative and historical etc. Gone from heavy reading, to light reading.

I'm a huge book collector and after filling all of my bookcases, most of which my husband made for me, I have started giving many of them away so I can make room for more! I find the best book bargains at garage/yard sales.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2013 02:10PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 06:45PM

I like Sue Grafton as well, SusieQ. For some reason I got stuck on "R" a number of years ago, and abandoned the series. It finally dawned on me that I could just skip it, lol. So I've rapidly gobbled up "S" and "T." "U" is sitting by my bed, ready to go.

I can really relate to her heroine since I am an older single. I love Kinsey's resourcefulness and self-sufficiency. She has a street sense that I will never have, however.

I recently picked up a collection of Georgette Heyer vintage mysteries. Years ago I loved her Regency period romances (she is and always will be the very best writer in this genre, IMO.) I knew that she also wrote mysteries, so I'm eager to see if the quality of her writing carries over to the other genre.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2013 06:47PM by summer.

Date: August 23, 2013 07:02PM

summer Wrote:
> I like Sue Grafton as well, SusieQ. For some
> reason I got stuck on "R" a number of years ago,
> and abandoned the series. It finally dawned on me
> that I could just skip it, lol. So I've rapidly
> gobbled up "S" and "T." "U" is sitting by my bed,
> ready to go.
>
> I can really relate to her heroine since I am an
> older single. I love Kinsey's resourcefulness and
> self-sufficiency. She has a street sense that I
> will never have, however.

I love the character. She's sassy, confident, independent, and clever. It's even more fun to read as I have lived in the general area and know the streets and cities in the Santa Barbara CA area.It's fun to figure out the streets and cities as she changes the names!
>
> I recently picked up a collection of Georgette
> Heyer vintage mysteries. Years ago I loved her
> Regency period romances (she is and always will be
> the very best writer in this genre, IMO.) I knew
> that she also wrote mysteries, so I'm eager to see
> if the quality of her writing carries over to the
> other genre.

I read her romances back in the 60's before she died.
I have not read her mysteries.

In my current situation, I am particularly fond of very light reading at night.
I don't read Patricia Caldwell at night anymore! :-)

Date: August 23, 2013 07:06PM

Back in the day when I was looking at potential colleges, UCSB was on my list. When I read Sue Grafton's books, I sometimes wish I had gone there.

Regarding Georgette Heyer, I think that "An Infamous Army" (her romance centered around the Battle of Waterloo) is a remarkable book.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2013 07:09PM by summer.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 02:13PM

Just finished Gone Girl. Two thumbs up. Now, Nine Parts of Desire: The Hidden World of Islamic Women. Quite intriguing. Also reading Godless. NOT the Ann Coulter one, the Dan Barker one. It's amazing. I really relate to his story even though he was a fundie Christian preacher.

Posted by: Laman ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 02:28PM

Under the Banner of Heaven as well as the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy "trilogy".

Date: August 23, 2013 06:50PM

I read, "Under the Banner of Heaven" this summer and was very impressed by it.

Posted by: sonofman ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 02:33PM

"The Road to Tolerance" Albert Ellis

Posted by: Saucie ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 02:38PM

I'm reading "The Human Story... our history from the stone age to today" by James C. Davis. And "A People's History of the United States" by Howard Zinn.... both books written by college professors , very readable, just excellent.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 03:00PM

I have become obsessed by Richard III and have several books.about him.

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 03:41PM

bona dea Wrote:
> I have become obsessed by Richard III and have
> several books.about him.

What's your take? Do you think Shakespeare libeled Richard?

Date: August 23, 2013 04:13PM

Absolutely although there is a question of how much. I am up in the air on the little princes. He definitely didn't have shriveled arm and I doubt he murdered his wife.I suspect he is far from.Shakespeare's monster, but not quite the saint the Ricardians would have you believe.After . All, Shakespeare lived under a Tudor monarch.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 03:03PM

My Reading Life by Pat Conroy.

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 03:04PM

Just finished "The Last Days of Ptolemy Grey." Fabulous writing with themes of aging, dementia, hoarding, family, betrayal, murder, unlikely love...

The storyline has parallels with my family life these past few months. It was good for me to see life through the eyes of an already aged man; the main character is 91. Takes place in L.A. with flash backs set in the deep south.

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 03:14PM

Just finished Into The Wild and Into Thin Air, just started on The Mormon Hierarchy book two.

Date: August 23, 2013 06:54PM

Isn't "Into Thin Air" amazing? I became something of an Everest junkie after reading that. I have absolutely no desire to scale that beast nor any other, but I took it into my head after reading the account that I wouldn't mind running a base camp.

I dated a climber back in the day. I just had to put it out of my mind when he was off having his adventures.

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 06:55PM

Yeah, can't say I'd want to go up, but seeing base camp would be something. I gotta get a copy of the Everest IMAX movie.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 03:57PM

I'm reading "The Name of the Wind" for the 3rd time..

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 05:39PM

I'm reading "The Vanishing Hitchhiker," a survey textbook by Jan Harold Brunvard of the University of Utah. The book has some interesting Mormon mythology, including the three Nephites as hitchhikers who dispense church propaganda and then disappear mysteriously.

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 05:48PM

The Romanov Conspiracy so far it seems really good

Date: August 23, 2013 05:50PM

I loved that.

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 07:23PM

Good to hear, had to put it down for a bit. Tomorrow I can read all day.

Posted by: StoneInHat ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 06:40PM

"Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card and The Old Testament (I'm in Deuteronomy)

Posted by: Lostmypassword ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 07:18PM

"Lord Jim" by Joseph Conrad. My oldest son just went to a job in the South Pacific; I want to encourage him to change the ending if he follows the Lord Jim M.O. :)

Posted by: sonofman ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 07:44PM

Love that book. I related to it too much for my own good though.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 09:26PM

I've gone totally off reading for some reason. Not reading a single thing. And I'm a bookworm..... ?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.