Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: TrueOregonian ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 03:43PM

My family submitted our resignation via email on 7/9. Within about a week, we got the "please don't go" pamphlet in the mail, along with a letter saying that they forwarded my letter to my bishop because it is a local ecclesiastical matter. The email said we wanted no contact other than confirmation that our resignation has been recorded. We have not heard anything from the bishop, hts, vts, or missionaries, so that's good. I really don't care if they want to waste their own time going through the motions, so it didn't bother me that they forwarded it to him.

Fast forward to last night, I got an email from the stake indexing coordinator, which I politely responded to not to email me anymore please (and have done before, about 2 months ago (before we resigned)). His response was that it's my responsibility to remove myself from the indexing program and until I do, I'll continue to receive emails from him sometimes. And that I need to log in to the ward directory to take out my email address there, too.

So obviously our names have not been removed yet.

I sent another email to member records last night, and I called them this morning. They told me they haven't done it because the bishop hasn't sent in the form, so I told them they need to tell him to get on it, because it's supposed to be done in 30 days.

Is there anything else I can or I need to do to get their butts in gear??

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 03:50PM

This is just me, but i'd be tempted to call the indexing coordinator every so often. Tell them that until they remove their e-mails you have an overwhelming urge to call them from time to time.

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 05:07PM

Mia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is just me, but i'd be tempted to call the
> indexing coordinator every so often. Tell them
> that until they remove their e-mails you have an
> overwhelming urge to call them from time to time.

Yeah, call him around dinner time or, say, 10:00 pm. Maybe show up at his house, unannounced, with a plate of cookies...

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 11:13PM

Make that plate of cookies a pound of coffee.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: August 24, 2013 01:31AM

Stale, manky, cheap coffee. No need to waste the good stuff. ;-)

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 03:53PM

I can think of three options:

1) Keep harassing the records department until they get the Bishop to send in his paperwork. I also believe that is the Bishop is being unresponsive you can get the records department to finally just do it themselves.

2) Call the Bishop yourself and tell him to get off his ass.

3) Threaten or take legal action against the church if the above don't work.

My guess is that the Bishop just hasn't gotten around to it.

Date: August 23, 2013 03:54PM

Lol :)

Date: August 23, 2013 04:00PM

When I called and told them to tell the bishop to get on it, she just said "ok." But it seemed half hearted.

Posted by: darksided ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 03:55PM

"stake indexing coordinator"....that is a serious calling? Just call the church headquarters and tell them you're over it and if they don't snap the fuck to it, you will press charges. :)

Posted by: DishyDoodle ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 07:15PM

Or better yet, call the press!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 03:55PM

Did member records say they'd phone and move this along?

If not, I think a call back is in order with a firmer more assertive tone and perhaps a hint at legal action.

"Hello, member records. I resigned from your church on July 9 and have been waiting for a confirmation letter. The SP is not helpful and your office seemed tentative last time I called about this concern. Can you help or do I need to take legal action?"

Date: August 23, 2013 04:01PM

Replied to wrong comment...
When I called and told them to tell the bishop to get on it, she just said "ok." But it seemed half hearted.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 05:03PM

I think a call back might be in order. If the person is half hearted, perhaps ask to talk to a supervisor?

Something I forget is to ask for the person's name and ask how to spell it. This makes them take you more seriously as they know you're documenting what they say and who they are.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2013 05:04PM by Cheryl.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 06:31PM

depends on what your goal is.

If the goal is to resign with a minimum of drama and aggravation, log in to your indexing account and unsubscribe. That will take, what, 2 minutes?

As for the resignation, do nothing. Their processing takes up to 60 days, and it hasn't been 60 days yet for you. It'll come through. If it doesn't after 60 days, then call them.

If, OTOH, you are more interested in winning a pissing contest, you can probably win both of these with a few phone calls, annoying both them and yourself. how much of your time and emotional energy is that worth to you?

Divorces frequently devolve into pissing contests instead of just getting it over with. Divorce attorneys will frequently ask their clients what their goal is, when they see a pissing contest developing. If the attorney has a boat payment to make s/he may keep quiet. Pissing contests are good money for attorneys. :)

Posted by: David Jason ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 09:21PM

I would think that the indexing information is on a separate system then your membership information.

I could see your membership getting taken care of but your indexing profile may not.

If you want the emails to stop you should really sign in and unsubscribe.

The indexing coordinator in your ward/stake is just a volunteer, she probably doesn't have the slightest clue about technology and taking your email off of these system generated lists.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 07:11PM

We should find people who enjoy these kind of confrontations and call them to be

Recovering Mormon Executive Assistants.

When contacted you can let the Mormon know you have someone keep your schedule and ask them to call them to handle the appointment.

Wonder if it would work.

The Church does it, we can un officially incorporate and call assistants to manage our schedule.

Silly, I know, but I think some would enjoy the sport of messing with Mormon appointment schedulers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2013 07:17PM by gentlestrength.

Posted by: Bobthetaxman ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 07:23PM

Send a letter to church headquarters stating if you do not receive official notice in 10 days, the next contact will be from your attorney.

THEN WATCH AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS. I did that and had my letter in 2 days.

Posted by: DishyDoodle ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 07:28PM

I emailed my resignation on the 9th too, and it all was closed out by Bishop Total-stranger-who-kept-ordering-people-to-visit showed up uninvited and unannounced (the Mormon way!) 2 weeks later.

They may have expedited my resignation since I was poisoning the waters by telling actual church history to all of the assigned visitors.

Posted by: Mani ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 11:03PM

I agree that in most cases of resignation .Confidential records is minimal Drama . In my case it is at the Local level that harassment started . It is peacefully in my scared space . This was my goal .Yearn for the truly simple scared things . My story of my life as Sister in chains ,is over . The Church can not touch my life I chose FREEDOM and worth as a Woman .

Below please find points that helped me .
1) I was given A Analyst from Confidential records .I found this Analyst to be highly professional .Called my Local Stake President when the harassment Started .

2) Legal form letters can be found online and faxed to hq ,local Bishop ,Stake President and Santa Hated by all Mormons

3) Read the local laws on Harassment and criminal Trespass POST YOUR PROPERTY .NO TRESSPASS signs therefore making love bomb cookies illegal .

4) Make the local police aware of any unwanted drama

5) Can talk directly with legal @ HQ ( I did not )
Good luck

I would post all correspondence from HQ ,but the code for window 8 was written in The Temple by Working Temple Monkeys ...
I can not get it to work even with the words of mouth!

Cheers to freedom

Posted by: subeam ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 11:35PM

Hopefully you'll get your letter soon. We have resigned 7/14 and are also waiting. It annoys me to wait but it also makes me wonder if maybe it takes so long because they have a flood of resignations coming in? A girl can dream lol. No but we will be patiently waiting till at least 60 days and the we will e-mail again. I have time I don't consider myself a Mormon anymore.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 26, 2013 10:12AM

I resigned in July, and after 60 days, gave Member Records a call. The woman I spoke to apologized, and said they get backed up in July and August because of vacations. She said the letter was in the mail. It arrived in the Midwest the next morning, so it was indeed in the mail.

And yes, once they have received your resignation, you are out, and everything from that point on is just bureaucratic wheel grinding, mostly them jumping through their own hoops.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: August 24, 2013 01:20AM

If there's a bottleneck, I'd say it's on the local level. Salt Lake sent out the notification letter to my bishop the following day after receiving my resignation letter. My bishop called me the same day he received notification from SL. He processed his paperwork the following day after that. Now it is in the SP's hands. We'll see how long that takes...

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: August 26, 2013 10:37AM

The "please do go" pamphlet is your proof that your resignation communication with the church is complete and legal.

No further action by you is required.

I recommend you let them spin their wheels internally in whatever fashion suits their fancy.

Don't give them one more second of your time or effort.

I agree that you ought to log in and delete your index if you don't want emails.

Leave it in the rear view window and live your lives in peace.

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: August 26, 2013 10:47AM

You could reply to those emails with links to Mormonthink, RFM, etc. and a simple note that you are no longer a member and that you will continue to reply with more links and sources every time they email you. I'll bet they would drop you from their list very quickly.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: August 26, 2013 11:26AM

If he's like my bishop, Mr. Mustard, he may not know what to do. I got a bit of a runaround as he went back and forth with the stake president.

Also, what is indexing?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.