Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: magnite ( )
Date: August 26, 2013 01:23PM

Girlfriend wanted to go to church yesterday. She use to be Methodist when she was young, before getting married & her ex made her convert to Catholic.

They are a rather relaxed group. I like that there is no "set uniform" as in TSCC...no "required" white shirts & ties. There were even a few jeans & flip flops. I think I like that. Pastor was a woman who was very visual, and perhaps even entertaining.

The plate was passed around, but there was no apparent pressure to contribute. The Pastor said that the 4th Sunday of every month funds collected goes to local people who are out of work - at least I have some assurance where my $$ is going.

I once spoke with a Methodist Pastor on my mission. As he showed us around his VERY large church (in Alabama), I will always remember he said "One thing I like about the Methodist church is you can believe just about what you want". I have always thought if I had to be a religion, that would be a selling point.

Not so sure about the repetition and "chanting". Made me feel a little uncomfortable, like the prayer circle in the temple.

Girlfriend & I talked about it, and we will visit a few more churches in the area & "see how we like them". Even in Utah there is a variety, and why not see what is out there besides TSCC?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: startedthinking ( )
Date: August 26, 2013 01:33PM

When I let it be known that I had left mormonism friends began sending me dvds/cds of their church services. I was surprised to find that a good number record all their services and special worship groups.
I am willing to bet you could find local congregations online and ask for a dvd to be sent to your home. Then pick the one you like and go be among the people.
One of the Methodist dvd's showed the entire congregation hugging each other, a good thing but I don't believe I would like to be recorded while at church.

Posted by: jangadai ( )
Date: August 26, 2013 01:37PM

I think it's so great to get out and experience what the world has to offer. I did this with an Episcopalian church this year, and while I don't think I'd ever join the religion, the people and their pastor were very warm and welcoming. (The coffee or wine and cake afterward helped too ;) It was just so relaxing and eye-opening to see how others live. In Mormonism, we truly live in a bubble, and I never realized the extent of it until being on the outside of that bubble. And the sad part is we're made to feel guilty for exploring what's on the outside of the bubble, like we're doing something wrong. I truly believe that there are unique paths for each of us and not one true "church" or way to where we need to go. Anyway, that's my $0.02.

Posted by: rachel1 ( )
Date: August 26, 2013 01:49PM

My nevermo husband's family is Methodist and they are very laid back about their religion. He's not a member of any religion. Funny, way back when they left the Baptist church for the Methodist the rest of the family had a fit because they were joining that "librul" church. Personally, I like the Episcopalian church some because they allow female clergy and are tolerant of alternate belief systems and if I *were* to actually ever become a Christian I'd probably look into it.

Posted by: no mo lurker ( )
Date: August 26, 2013 04:09PM

Methodists allow female clergy too. At one time our church had two female pastors and lightning didn't strike :) Although, several years later our sanctuary did burn ....

Our church's only Pastor Emertius is female. She still attends and was actually the first female minister in the cabinet for our state's head office. She has some interesting stories about her first churches in small country towns who were not happy to have her there.

Posted by: mysid ( )
Date: August 26, 2013 01:57PM

If you decide to visit a Presbyterian congregation, look for one that is PCUSA (Presbyterian Church of the USA) and not PCA (Presbyterian Church of America). The PCUSA is the more liberal of the two and allows women in leadership positions, including being ministers. The PCA teaches a literal interpretation of the Bible and thinks women should be subservient to men.

Posted by: notamormon ( )
Date: August 26, 2013 02:15PM

Are you sure you are not thinking of this Presbyterian Church?

Orthodox Presbyterian Church

Classification Protestant
Theology Reformed Evangelical
Governance Presbyterian
Associations North American Presbyterian and Reformed Council, International Conference of Reformed Churches
Origin June 11, 1936
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Separated from Presbyterian Church in the United States of America
Separations Bible Presbyterian Church
Congregations 275
Members 30,279
Statistics for 2011

Posted by: mysid ( )
Date: August 26, 2013 03:05PM

No, I'm not familiar with that group. Some of my relatives belong to PCA churches, so that's how I know of them. My family attends a PCUSA church.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: August 26, 2013 06:22PM

I think you're right. I was raised PCUSA and it's a lot more liberal than the PCA is. I have many relatives who are PCA and they are a lot more conservative.

Posted by: presbyterian ( )
Date: August 26, 2013 09:41PM

My church is PCUSA. The closest PCA to us has an elementary school. Many families go to school there and church with us because of the reasons above.

The Presbyterians have broken up and then made up many times over the centuries.

Posted by: braq ( )
Date: August 26, 2013 03:21PM

We go to a small church in Colorado and enjoy it. Find one that fits you. It is amazing all the varity once you leave the "one size fits all" of mo'ism.

Best to all,

Merrill

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: August 26, 2013 03:33PM

One thing I will say about the Methodist church is that the local chapel was actually built with acoustics in mind. I say that as I once went to a performance of the entire Handel's Messiah at that chapel a few years ago in December. The nice thing is that nobody showed up at the door in the days after that concert to invite us to church the next Sunday.

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: August 26, 2013 03:37PM

Did they taste like chicken? ;)

Date: August 26, 2013 09:48PM

I knew I could count on squeebee to come up with a unique response!!!

I didn't actually "taste" any of them, but even better: they offered donuts & coffee after the service. Another possible bonus!

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 01:16AM

Uh-oh, I'm getting a reputation.

Posted by: Uncle Dale ( )
Date: August 26, 2013 03:55PM

They were nice enough to give me a full two-year scholarship
with living expenses, just to enroll at the graduate seminary
attached to Ohio Wesleyan University.

Never felt any pressure to join up with them, right up
through the final day, when they handed out their first
sheepskin to a Latter Day Saint.

My only complaint -- the hotcakes tended to be a little
undercooked at their free breakfasts for the local homeless.

UD

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: August 26, 2013 04:09PM

In my experience, Methodists are usually among the most genuinely charitable religious group out there. Even in areas where they are relatively few in number, their impact on helping the local poor people often puts most other, larger, wealthier churches to shame, especially the Morg!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2013 04:09PM by nickname.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 26, 2013 07:32PM

Enjoy your explorations! If nothing else, you will get quite an education. There is a wide variety of religious expression out there.

Posted by: oldwoman ( )
Date: August 26, 2013 09:30PM

I was asked by a Methodist friend to attend a retreat; The Road To Emmaus, I believe it was called. Excitedly, I said ,"I would love to go." Being a converted LDS member of 35 years at that time, I hungered for some time spent focusing on Christ totally. However, after sending in my forms to go, I was tearfully told by my friend that since I was a Mormon and not a Christian, I would not be allowed. Would you believe I was asked by a different person last year again ,and when I relayed the story of my rejection several years ago, they quickly withdrew the invitation. Prejudice is alive and well in this church ,as well.

Date: August 26, 2013 09:46PM

That's heartbreaking. I would think a retreat is a great place to help someone become a Christian.

Date: August 26, 2013 09:44PM

We still pass the plate at my church, but so many people give online that it's just kind of a tradition. Nobody thinks twice if you don't put anything in. I haven't for years!

Posted by: stillburned ( )
Date: August 26, 2013 10:00PM

Good on you, Magnite. Try out the variety! The Morg, who says that denominations and various religious traditions is sure proof the TSCC is true. I think the variety is great! In fact, it keeps some "prophet" from saying he restored the gospel and hi-jacking the whole darned religion. I think it's a pretty good safeguard.

I have my favorite "brand," if you will, but doesn't make it more "right" than others (except for TSCC). Even then, I can assure you that worshipping in a church of my "brand" in the jungle mountains of India was far different than here in the good ole USA...and it was a really nice little change of pace for a short time.

Find what works for you. Where you feel comfortable. There are even churches that started out pretty orthodox (even in my own denomination, gasp), but start developing "cultic" traits...you'll recognize them for some eerie similarities to Mormonism...too strict, and hero worshipping the leader. Run!

I know some here on this board would excoriate me for "peddling" religion. Hogwash. I'm not doing anything of the sort and if non-belief works for them, that's cool, too. If someone can leave Mormonism and still see a God who is real and worthy of worship, that's great. If someone escapes the controlling, legalistic grasp of TSCC, I can honestly say, I think I can understand why you'd want nothing to do with religion...least of all one that worships the same God the Mormons claim. As a human being, I claim to be no better (or worse) than anyone who chooses to live a moral, decent, and generous life outside of religion. I just do what works for me, and glad to see anyone doing what works for them--especially out of the clutches of controlling religions like Mormonism.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: August 26, 2013 10:19PM

Glad you liked the Methodist Church. I go to one. It is very relaxed. Ours has a traditional service and a contemporary one.I enjoy the band a lot, but there is something to say for the traditional hymns. There is no pressure for anything. Most "requests" are mailed - yrly pledge drive if you are the committing kind - they like to know how much is coming in in advance. But I never commit. Never.Methodists are also known for their Potluck dinners - at least 6 a yr. I don't know what you mean by "chanting"....we only say the Lord's prayer together, Apostle's Creed and maybe one other thing.Not each Sun. either....you can walk right out when it is over, or shake the pastors hand or give a hug - ours hugs. You should try other churches too but go back to each one two or three times. Every church has a lousy sermon now and then.

Posted by: Quoth the Raven Nevermo ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 12:15AM

You might also want check out the United Church of Christ

There is no mind control from the top for the UCC, also they are very laid back.

They see communion as an act of sharing, you don't have to sign away your life or your money.

---------------------------
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Church_of_Christ

The UCC maintains full communion with other mainline Protestant denominations. Many of its congregations choose to practice open communion.[4] The denomination places high emphasis on participation in worldwide interfaith and ecumenical efforts.[5][6] The national settings of the UCC have historically favored liberal views on social issues, such as civil rights, gay rights, women's rights and abortion rights. However, United Church of Christ congregations are independent in matters of doctrine and ministry and may not necessarily support the national body's theological or moral stances. It is self-described as "an extremely pluralistic and diverse denomination".[7]

There is no UCC hierarchy or body that can impose any doctrine or worship format onto the individual congregations within the UCC.[13] While individual congregations are supposed to hold guidance from the general synod "in the highest regard", the UCC's constitution requires that the "autonomy of the Local Church is inherent and modifiable only by its own action".[14]

Posted by: No Mo ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 01:29AM

Why go to any church? Do you really feel that you need a sense of community. Why not join conservation group or another charitable organization that is focused on effecting real change. Join a bicycling club for that matter. Stay fit.

Why do you feel a need to show adoration to an invisible friend that allows so much suffering to go on in the world and tortured and murdered his son because he created you imperfect and needs to be adored for all eternity?

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 01:32AM

Because they want to and it really isn't your business.Do you want strangers telling you why you should.go to church? I 'm guessing not.

Date: August 27, 2013 01:37AM

It is a question and if they wanted to be private they wouldn't have posted it on the internet. And they don't need a Catholic apologist to defend them. They can answer for themselves. It is none of your business!!

Date: August 27, 2013 01:52AM

I am neither a Catholic, an apologist or even religious and I have a right to be disturbed by the non religious jumping into religious threads with their unsolicited advice on the merits of non belief If some religious person jumped into an atheist thread telling people.why they should go to church,they would be told they were proselytizing and rightly so. Well,you are doing exactly the same thing and the double standard is really aanoying

Date: August 27, 2013 01:59AM

Bona dea, non religious, and now a self-appointed moderator. If my question or comment is out of line, report me. Otherwise, kiss off. Pick up your rosaries and go to confession for your intolerance.

Date: August 27, 2013 02:27AM

...and self appointed "good goddess". I suppose if you are a self-appointed god, you rule in everything in your own mind. Non-religious.

Date: August 27, 2013 12:21PM

The only question I saw in the OP was the last sentence, and I took it to be a rhetorical question.

Please ask yourself this question: Why does it bother you so much that some people still like to go to church? The OP was simply relating an experience, not asking for your opinion.

Date: August 27, 2013 12:25PM

If you had an open mind and weren't so judgmental, No Mo, fewer things would annoy you.

(Funny, I could say that same sentence to the fundies!)

Date: August 27, 2013 11:29AM

bono dea: to answer your question, we have both felt something missing. Although I still have doubts about the existance of of God - closest thing I can honestly call myself is a deist - we both thought maybe we are missing God or maybe just belonging to a group. As no mo said, humans are social.

I only have answers for myself, and avoid speaking for others concerning religion since I left TSCC.

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 10:03AM

People have social needs...sometimes a church is the best avenue for fulfilling them. There's a valid reason for you.

Date: August 27, 2013 03:06AM

you obviously don't know me at all, but your character is coming through loud and clear.

Posted by: Forestpal not logged in ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 04:10AM

Two things all the Christian churches I have attended have in common are:

Their service is UPLIFTING.
You feel a lovely, welcoming feeling there.

Even when we were TBM's, we have had a family tradition to go to the Christmas Eve candlelight service at the Methodist Church. If you want to truly feel the spirit of Christmas, I recommend this!

We also go hear the Wesley Bell Ringers at Christmas time. There are beautiful organ and choir concerts at the Catholic cathedral, and we enjoy looking at the frescoes on the walls.

I truly enjoyed experiencing different religions, including the Eastern religions, and studying philosophy. I choose to follow Christ, mainly, and maybe The Buddha a bit--but never Joseph Smith. That path was too depressing and expensive.

I do volunteer work with the Methodists, on a regular basis, and it is so much more satisfying to help, hands on, and to make direct purchases with my money. The people we help really need it. (This is not a solicitation. There are thousands of worthy causes out there.)

Date: August 27, 2013 09:25AM

Forestpal not logged in Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Two things all the Christian churches I have
> attended have in common are:
>
> Their service is UPLIFTING.
> You feel a lovely, welcoming feeling there.
>
> I do volunteer work with the Methodists, on a
> regular basis, and it is so much more satisfying
> to help, hands on, and to make direct purchases
> with my money. The people we help really need it.
> (This is not a solicitation. There are thousands
> of worthy causes out there.)

Your comments are why I believe that people are looking for a sense of community after Mormonism. Humans have evolved as social animals. I like the quote from John Donne:

“No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were: any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee.”
― John Donne, No Man Is An Island

Date: August 27, 2013 10:00AM

Within the main protestant denominations, there is a LOT of variety out there. Even within one denomination, each church has its own particular traditions.

The main difference in Methodism today is the traditional churches (a lot like a mormon SM) and the non-traditional or progressive ones - very laid back, they use electronic media, some have a stage band, they sing popular christian music, no pews. For someone like me who grew up with high tradition, it's a shock at first. The larger ones will have both types of services and people can pick which one they want to attend.

Date: August 27, 2013 10:09AM

Also, I am methodist (again)...my home church was mentioned in this article in the LA Times for opening its facility after the tornado last spring. We had families camping out in cots in the activity center and the Red Cross set up operations in the parking lot.

There is also a mormon meetinghouse a couple miles away, only 2 miles from the path of the tornado. They did not open their facility to help the public in any special way.

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/may/21/nation/la-na-nn-oklahoma-tornado-donations-20130521

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.