Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ancient exmo ( )
Date: August 31, 2013 12:55PM

I use to come here regularly about 8 to 10 years ago when I was in the process of leaving the TSCC. I got to know many people at that time and even met quite a few at the Salt Lake City Exmo Conferences.

I frequent less here because I feel I have recovered, but it sure is great seeing this board still up and running in full force. Sure glad it was around when I needed it. I always wonder how all those people I use to correspond with on a regular basis are doing now.

Where do all the former exmos hang out now?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Concrete Zipper ( )
Date: August 31, 2013 01:00PM

People come. People go.

Welcome back, and feel free to make new exmo friends here.

CZ (admin)

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: August 31, 2013 01:22PM

I first landed on the old server almost 5 years ago, so I don't quite go back that far. But my understanding is that some have moved on, some have passed away and others just post infrequently. Others are still here, but I think they have different names now.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 31, 2013 01:25PM

Greyfort Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

+1

That just about sums it up quite nicely. A few old timers, like myself, hang in there for the long haul.

I know many who have no desire or need to write about their experiences. They don't care to use an Internet posting board in that manner.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: August 31, 2013 01:24PM

Where do you hang out?

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: August 31, 2013 01:30PM

This was never intended to be a permanent location for ex-Mormons. We cater primarily to newbies. Those who continue to hang out here help others in their transition out of the corporation or just like being here. Both are certainly welcome. There are many folks who were prolific posters, then slowly faded away as their lives went in different directions no longer as seriously affected by Mormonism as when they first arrived. That has always been our purpose.

It is great when "old" posters appear and update us on what has happened to them. I have thought of having a section just for that purpose - an archive of those who have been out for years now.

Posted by: jong1064 ( )
Date: August 31, 2013 06:08PM

I think that's a great idea! It could be the exmo alumni book. Or something.

Posted by: SLDrone ( )
Date: August 31, 2013 08:15PM

I remember when I first found RfM. A friend, Steve Ganzell (Oberon) told me about it. My first year or so I hid the fact that I was here. I went by Voice of Reason and people started calling me VOR. I liked that. I only visited RfM at night when no one would see. I was still a mission president in 99, and since I would never dare access RfM at the office I had to sneak downstairs in the mission home at night. I erased the history on my computer when done. It made my heart race as if I was committing a crime or taking a huge risk. Extreme Mormoning I guess.

VOR became SLDrone when I got back to Utah (because that is what I was) and the years rolled on. What was once taboo and scary became obvious and then mundane. The Danites are long gone and the cult's strangle hold isn't what it once was. They are on the ropes and trying to play nice.

I've hardly ever addressed you Eric, and I never see you looking for a pat on the back, but thanks old chap for all that you've done.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2013 08:44PM by SLDrone.

Posted by: Ihidmyself ( )
Date: September 01, 2013 06:40AM

me when I first started coming here, surreptitiously, in 1998 and then later with my wife. There were people who made a huge difference in my life and I would like to hear how they are doing. I used to post as Socrates and then IhidmyselfbecauseIwasnaked. I can still google that last one and find some of my old posts. Makes me feel like I did some good!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2013 11:32AM by Ihidmyself.

Posted by: spanner ( )
Date: September 01, 2013 07:04AM

Dude! You did do good. I remember reading you and SLDrone years back before my last long hiatus.

Date: September 01, 2013 11:44AM

and I still post, only not as much, and we organized regular Sunday activities here in N. Utah County for years (hikes, picnics, swimming at Dimple Dell Recreation center, etc.). We planned the American Fork Starbucks meetups for something like 5 years until our group wouldn't fit there anymore. Now we have a regular Cabellas meetup in Lehi every Sunday at 10:00 AM (although my wife and I only go maybe once a month. But we've had up to 40 people there!)

There were a couple people when I first left that were a huge help to me that I would like to find out about: Roger Loomis and Denise Cold. When I first realized it was all bs these were the only two people on earth that I could talk to. They didn't know me from Adam but were there when I needed them.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: September 01, 2013 02:36PM

Date: September 01, 2013 07:00AM

Yes, thanks heaps Erik! I too have been coming back since 2001. I used to post under my real name then realised that was a really bad idea. I have had periods where i don't visit for ages, then need to come back. Sometimes just to read for months and then to post sporadically.

I have family still trapped. It does my head in. I doubt they will ever escape so i will need to return periodically.

Posted by: Joy ( )
Date: August 31, 2013 05:10PM

It does seem that most of the RFM posters are still attending the Mormon meetings, and/or still have their children trapped in the cult. I hope all these questioning Mormons are able to help each other. It did help me to find a lot of other Mormons in the same boat.

You are not alone.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: August 31, 2013 05:26PM

Hey, who are you calling "old"? Seriously, I've been here since the early days...about 1997 or 98.

I have moved on to a whole new life outside of mormonism. But, every single one of my close and extended family is still entrenched. I love hearing about changes that come down the pike and I don't want to miss anything!

Posted by: Daphne ( )
Date: August 31, 2013 05:56PM

I am an oldie -- been around since the 90's. But I posted under a different name then. It was on this board that I learned about the resignation process and I sent in my letter immediately as a gesture of support. I should probably tell the story because it shows how silly the Morg is. So, I will sometime. The short is after no contact for 30+ years, when I resigned I had missionaries all over me.

My husband and I and an old friend of Eric's (who lived in my then home town) once had a nice dinner with Eric at an old mill in Paoli, PA. I think it was 1998. Nice evening.

I post in cycles -- my current cycle is related to it being a long, hot summer in the upper midwest.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: August 31, 2013 06:03PM

I've been here since practically the begining too. And always under the same name. But I have to admit, it probably took more than a year of lurking to get up the courage to post.

Posted by: ducky333 ( )
Date: August 31, 2013 07:30PM

Is it good practice to change your user name here? Have many of u done that over the yrs?

Posted by: grubbygert nli ( )
Date: September 01, 2013 02:26AM

for me it was a good thing to do

the first name I used was during all the trauma I was experiencing with first coming out and eventually it just didn't fit anymore - I knew that other posters still saw me as the mess that I was at first so I tried out a different name and it felt good - I felt freed from that first RfM identity

and after a few more years I took a break from RfM for a couple of years and when I checked back in to see how things were going that other name didn't fit anymore so I got a new name

so yeah, personally I think it helps and I know that from time to time people announce a name change but for me it was all about leaving that old persona in the dust and taking on a new one

try it!

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: August 31, 2013 07:45PM

I found this place doing a web search for Deborah Laake. I'd just finished reading "Secret Ceremonies". I remember because it was the first web search I did on my brand-new Dell desktop after I finished setting it up! It looked intriguing, and I stuck my nose in... I felt like I didn't really belong here, being a never-mo(I still feel like that sometimes), but I keep coming back and hanging around because I just plain like the people! Plus my doggie, the late great Ruby The Diva Dachshund, found the trolls ever so tasty...

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: September 01, 2013 02:19AM

She had SUCH a way with trolls!!!

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: August 31, 2013 09:29PM

My brother, who can't remember his nickname on rfm anymore used to be here 15 yrs ago or so. Back when Simon the DNA expert was new here, because he said he emailed him. It was around 10 yrs later that I happened on another exmormon site and began my exit as Gone Awol for good. Later I changed it to my first name.

he stopped coming here because he felt he was getting on with his life, but I like reading the stuff here.

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: August 31, 2013 10:47PM

I'd been looking for info on Thomas Murphy. My DH and I had left the church in 1981, but there were many unresolved issues. For example, we didn't know we could just resign instead of being excommunicated. (I was waiting for some important occasion to give my membership for the cause of freedom.) We resigned early in 2003. Funny thing was that I had rekindled an interest in Mormon history and family history.

I keep coming back. Sometimes to offer a word of encouragement, sometimes to ask a question and learn, other times to give some information that I have.

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: August 31, 2013 10:55PM

uh. . .maybe to the same place you did?

It's perfectly fine to come and go. To the best of my knowledge no one takes attendance. No one revokes your status as an exmo if you're disloyal and tell all your best jokes on some other internet forum.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: August 31, 2013 11:28PM

Maybe they all went back to the great and spacious Morg.

Date: September 01, 2013 07:10AM

You joke of course!

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: September 01, 2013 04:32PM

Of course!

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: September 01, 2013 02:31AM

There are a number of people who used to post here who I miss.

Some of them: VERY much.

And to answer wcg's post: I'm pretty darn sure that NONE of the posters I (personally) miss went back to the Morg!!! :-)

Date: September 01, 2013 06:36AM

and as Socrates1. I remember several people who helped me a great deal when I first left the church so I try my best to return the favor. For me personally, life for my wife and three kids has been great. The only real problem are the mormons who don't understand personal boundaries. We've had to do multiple slap downs in the neighborhood and with family members but it's important to set those boundaries immediately.

Hope things are going well for you!

Posted by: almost ( )
Date: September 01, 2013 04:38PM

many on here have never been a mormon, nor have any family that are mormon. They just love to try and troll exmormons/mormons with their crazy "stories" that some buy hook line and sinker. Taking advantage of depressed people is pretty sick.

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: September 01, 2013 05:57PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.