Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: quebec ( )
Date: September 20, 2013 11:25AM

So I haven't really been bothered with any TBMs from my area since I’ve stopped going to church a few years ago.
Except that during the last few months, there have been moments when my doorbell rang and by the time I get there, because it has always been at importune moments, I look out the window of the front door and no one is there. But the last time it happened I saw a car parked a few doors down and with lights on and two people in the car. And I automatically thought “Mishies”.

And I was right. I arrived from work late last night. I live in a building where the apartment of the main floor and the upstairs one, have each a locked door at the entrance of their respective apartment, but share the same front door and the stairs of the upper is inside of the building.
The outside light as well as the inside entrance light were on. It was rather odd because we have never left both of them on like that. Usually, if one of us know that they will need it because we’ll arrive late or something we will keep the light out on but that's rare.

After I unlocked the front door, entered and locked the door after me, I go up the stairs puzzling about the inside light being on and I reached my apartment front door and ‘lo and behold’, there is a aqua-coloured post-it on my door. At first I thought that maybe my downstairs neighbor left me a message but he has never done that before. No, it was from the mishies.
“Dear quebec, we are the sister missionaries of [city] and we can’t wait to meet you. We know that HF loves you very much and he’s always there to help you. We love you! Don’t hesitate to call us if you need anything, you can reach us at xxx-xxx-xxxx, Sister So and Sister So.
P.S. Helaman 5:12”

My first thought: "Yeah, something to share with the RfM community! ;-)" I always feel like I've not much to contribute.

Then, I decided to look-up Helaman 5:12. I remembered well the first part but not the rest.
“ 12 And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall.”

I imagine that the mishies and the people of the ward from my area think either that I’m in the pit of despair [images of Princess Bride in my mind there] or something like that and life has been battering me around because I don’t go to church anymore, or else there has been again an emphasis on the supposed fact that we are in the last days and things will become even more evil and crazy and one will need to be back in church to survive all of this.
In any case, going back to church would actually be the thing that would be a living hell.

I haven’t decided what I will do. A part of me wants to let it go, not do anything about it. A part of me wants to call them and either speak to them directly, or leave them a message (or go through the bishop or the WML) and tell them how inappropriately I think they have acted. Why?, because the scenario seems to be that they found the front door not well clenched, and opened it, went up to my door and left the post-it and then left leaving all the lights on, meaning they probably came rather late. My neighbor hasn’t seen them or been asked to put the post-it or anything like that. You can’t miss our door bells and they function quite well. And if you’ve tried the door bell and knocked and no one answered and you want to leave a note you do so in the mailbox. You don’t just enter because you’ve found the door not well closed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2013 11:35AM by quebec.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: September 20, 2013 11:28AM

Send a text.

"Please do not bother me or my neighbours again."

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: September 20, 2013 02:01PM

No! Don't send a text. Then they'll have your phone number. Leave a voice mail. From a landline not at your house, or a pay phone, if you can find one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2013 02:01PM by dogzilla.

Posted by: Thetimeisnow ( )
Date: September 21, 2013 12:11PM

...you know you're in a cult when...

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: September 20, 2013 11:34AM

Frustrating, isn't it, when they use these hit and run, insult and love methods. The scripture they shared implies you don't KNOW already that God loves you - that you need their help.

I'd ignore it because one of my mottos it "Avoid pointless conversations with stupid people who can't be reasoned with." It's why I keep my coffee maker on the bookshelf in the bedroom instead of on the kitchen counter, where it can be seen from my front door (I hate the layout of that part of our house, btw). Not because I have anything to hide but because I try to avoid interactions with stupid.

If you must talk to them, try questions instead of comments like "Did you think I don't know Jesus?" or "How did you get in?" or "Do I know you? If not, why would I ask you for anything?" Don't let them get away with saying "Sorry if we offended you." Reply "Then don't be offensive" with a quirky smile like you can't figure out why they are being such weirdos. If all else fails, telling them that Joseph Smith was a slut who slept with teenage girls in his late 30s and you can prove it on the church genealogical site will usually send them running.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: September 20, 2013 11:25PM

I like your motto.

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: September 20, 2013 11:36AM

Let it go. Yeah, they got in the building, but so what. At least they didn't go into your personal dwelling space.
BTW, I'll have to highlight that scripture as yet another rip-off from the New Testament.

Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: September 20, 2013 12:55PM

Like you, when I see some predictable behaviour from the missionaries, VT, HT, etc. My first reaction usually is to think of RfM.

I think what they did is trespassing. They entered someone's residence with no authorization, just because it was unlocked. And they left the lights on. But what bugs me more is the note. Why can't they just say "hey, we're the sister missionaries. We stopped by, saying hi, if you need anything let us know". The note is so consdescending and manipulative. We love you even though we haven't met you, God loves you and unless you're back you'll be dragged to the gulf of misery.

As an introvert and then a TBM I'd usually let things go, you know avoiding the spirit of contention. But no more. I'd write to their MP asking to get his missionaries to refrain from trepassing on my property or contacting me. And to please stop with the sublime threats of misery and wo.

But you were a sister missionary so you may be nicer than I am. =)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2013 01:08PM by deconverted2010.

Posted by: schlock ( )
Date: September 20, 2013 12:59PM

Is their claim that they love you.

Huh? Really? Meaning what?

That's so offensive on so many levels, it's hard to even know where to start.

Prissy, prurient, pious, pompous.

Gawd!

Date: September 20, 2013 01:30PM

Yes, as you and deconverted2010 mentioned the "We love you part" was was the main thing that got to me when I first read the note. "Puuulease, not only you don't know me, you have never met me, so don't insult my intelligence"
Now that I've re-read my first post, I realized that I forgot to mention it.

Even when I was a sister mishie, I never loved someone (and even less told him/her) that I had never met or only was told about by other people. I had a love for the people I thought I was "serving" as a whole (I was serving the Latinos) and only once I got to know an individual, I would start to love (and/or like) that person.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: September 20, 2013 06:26PM

Or, like my teenage son, you could forbid them to love you. This is how the conversation goes occasionally around our house:

Me: "No, you can't go to your friend's house until you finish your chores and homework. Sorry that will make you late but you have to do it. I still love you."

Him: "No! I'm mad at you - you don't get to love me."

Me (trying not to laugh): "You must know how much I love you if the worst punishment you can think up for me when you are mad is to forbid me to love you."

Next time tell the sisters "I'm sorry - you don't have permission to love me. I forbid it."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2013 06:26PM by CA girl.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: September 20, 2013 01:17PM

Ignore them and their silly efforts to re-recruit another worker for their $ kingdom.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: September 20, 2013 01:54PM

Such badly worded run-on scriptures which aren't even right, helped me avoid reading the BoM for many years. Christian groups at least understand Christ as the foundation and cornerstone of their religion.

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: September 20, 2013 02:04PM

Dear Sister missionaries of [city] I decided not to report your trespass to the police. I never wan't to meet you though, do not take my kindness for weakness. I will file a complaint if you trespass again. I know you are brainwashed into believing in a scary sky monster you call Heavenly Father. He's not real.

Don’t ever visit or call again.

P.S. Ezekial 23:20

Posted by: mysid ( )
Date: September 21, 2013 08:49AM

Excellent reply.

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: September 20, 2013 04:15PM

I would have thought, "Piss de Pap de tabernac! Pourquoi? Pourquoi moi Seigneur?"

No really, I would have thought that. Than forgot about it by my next breath.

Date: September 20, 2013 04:18PM

Merci! ça m'a fait rire aux larmes ;-)

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: September 20, 2013 11:28PM

De rien.

Date: September 20, 2013 05:40PM

Thanks for all your ideas. That gave me some "food for thought".

Posted by: Cali Sally ( )
Date: September 20, 2013 10:39PM

I'd ignore it but if you want to have some fun you could track THEM down and leave a post-it on THEIR door. It could be something like, "I was very surprised to get your note saying you love me when you have not even met me. WOW! Since you girls are so obviously adventurous and outgoing, why not join me and my non-Mormon friend for a night at the newly opening 'Hooter's' this Friday night at 8:00 pm. Looking forward to a fun evening. Glad to hear that missions have become more casual these days." - Quebec

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 20, 2013 10:51PM

Helaman sure is nonsensical. That verse was a ridiculous run-on sentence. What kind of a nut would reference it? Avoid these ill-mannered and obtuse people.

Posted by: reinventinggrace ( )
Date: September 20, 2013 11:09PM

They've madd you a gracious, sincere offer. You can decline, but also extend a similar invitation back their way.

How about a note that reads something like this?

Dear Sisters,

Thanks for stopping by and offering to share a message about the Mormon Church with me. I'm happy with my current stays as a non-attender, and aren't interested in coming back.

I would like, however, to graciously return the offer -- if you are questioning the activities and instructions of the Mormon church, and would like to know the reason I left or have someone to talk to about how to extract yourself from its constraints, I'd be happy to share my experiences with you.

Sincerely, me

Posted by: neverevermomo ( )
Date: September 20, 2013 11:48PM

I think the question is why haven't you called the police yet? They entered your building without permission and left proof with the postit note. Thats not only tresspassing, thats breaking and entering!

Posted by: wastedtime ( )
Date: September 21, 2013 01:08AM

"We love you! Don’t hesitate to call us if you need anything"

Did they leave selfies?

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: September 21, 2013 09:02AM

Yeah, right.

If this happens again, I wouldn't ignore it. Phone and leave a firm message telling them what they did was wrong and won't be tolerated.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.