Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: psychobabble ( )
Date: October 07, 2013 02:34AM

I hear from my Mom and sister that in one of the conference talks a general authority talked about mental disorders, i.e. major depressive disorder (which I have). They all know my history of mental health issues and so they were so eager to tell me how wonderful it was that a GA would talk about this. I wonder if they think I left the church because of depression ... and this is their way of saying ... oh look the church is sensitive to it now ... isn't that great?

I don't think it is so great. I didn't hear the talk and I don't want to go looking for it ... so maybe some of you can fill me in on the details. But whatever was said about mental health issues (and if the church is addressing this more now that's a good thing) ... but it doesn't make up for the fact that the policies, doctrines, and people in the church do so much to cause and exacerbate mental health issues such as depression and anxiety. And they have been doing this for a long time ... and a lot of people have suffered because of it.

I don't mean to say that the church is the only cause of mental health issues ... of course there are many other causes ... including genetics ... and it's very possible I would still be a depressed individual had I never been indoctrinated into the mormon church.

Nevertheless, I feel like so much damage has been caused to sensitive people because of their membership and participation in the church.

So much guilt heaped upon people for things that don't even matter.

So much social pressure to act in a certain way even though it's totally against your nature ... but for some reason you continue to do it because you feel like you "should."

So much agony and pain caused by believing in this crap for so many years.

No, it's not enough to finally address mental health issues in one general conference talk ... I suffered through so much pain and for years the only counsel I would get from church leaders is to go read my scriptures and pray more ... and try harder to be "perfect."

What a load of shit. I'm so glad I'm free of that now.

Sorry for the bitterness. When my mom told that to me yesterday thinking I would be impressed by it, it just pissed me off so bad. Thanks for letting me vent :D

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 07, 2013 06:19AM

You sound smart. I'm sorry about your depression and sorry that the Mormon church mistreated you.

Whatever they said in GC isn't much solace.

Take care.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: October 07, 2013 06:40AM

By their fruits ye may know them. If Mormon leaders don't put money where their collective mouth is (and they don't), their words are meaningless, and all the GA talks in the world are just so much crap.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: October 07, 2013 12:44PM

The Mormoney church is a master of masters at heaping the guilt on people to do more and more and give more and more. I have studied about many other religions and cultures and there is not one other that I have come across that demands so much of its members. Bake this cake for the Roberts' family, get your VT/HT done, write in your journal daily, pray with your family and pray alone and pray in church, accept every calling that is given to you, attend this meeting and that meeting, remember to hold FHE, have you been to the temple this month?, and on and on and on it goes.

IMHO the church does help create depression because of the perfection goal that it holds its members to. Members are worked to depression, rather than being worked to death as the old saying hoes. And I mean that in all seriousness. Because when you are tired you cannot and do not function as a normal, healthy human being. It took me quite a while to see the church's role in my depression as a new mom of three babies too close in age for any parents to have given birth to (and that's another story). My doctor said to me that I was trying to do too much. Finally, finally it began to sink in. Mrs. Molly Perfect Mormon I was trying to be.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2013 12:46PM by presleynfactsrock.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 07, 2013 12:48PM

I also am diagnosed with major depressive disorder. Believe it or not, I've been off antidepressants except now and then (situational issues) since about the time I figured out I don't believe.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: October 07, 2013 12:51PM

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: October 07, 2013 12:53PM

Sorry for your depression, but I love that you have your head screwed on straight, because you are right. Reading the scriptures and praying is the Mormon answer to everything, but in actuality it is not the answer to ANYTHING. It is the opposite of help. It irritates and halts recovery no matter what the issue is.

Phoney baloney was never the answer to anything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2013 12:53PM by blueorchid.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: October 07, 2013 12:55PM

The talk pretty much said, "Get professional help, because church leaders don't know what they're doing." They're probably trying to cover their butts...they'll refer back to it and say, "See, we never claimed that our bishops are qualified counselors. We advised those suffering with depression to get professional help." The leaders know that their truth claims are verifiably false, so they're probably afraid that they will be held legally liable for their members' treatment, etc...

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: October 07, 2013 12:57PM

My father was a bishop. He made the comment that anyone who had been to counseling was impossible to work with. It made me laugh.

In other words, they learned to have boundaries. They could say no. They could even tell the bishop that his suggestions weren't good for them. I'm sure it pissed him off. He's a bully, and used to getting his way with his kids by beating them and yelling at them. Just about all of us have been through some counseling. He doesn't have much to do with any of us.

He can no longer drive me into a depression or cause me to have an anxiety attack. He's nothing more than a bag of hot air.

Posted by: brothernotofjared ( )
Date: October 07, 2013 01:05PM

TSCC is trying to make nice because it's hemorrhaging members left and right.

I also suffer depression because I'm bipolar.

I do find for myself that reading Christ's Gospel (but not any of that Mormon crap) does help me find a way to be a kinder, gentler, more loving person by following His example.

But getting professional help, through therapy and the right medication, helps more.

I understand your anger and you have ever right to vent - hope you feel better. :-)

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: October 07, 2013 01:11PM

Below are some brief notes taken of that talk:
http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1042886

If you want to watch or listen to the actual talk it is up on the LDS website. Go here: https://www.lds.org/general-conference/sessions/2013/10?lang=eng

Then . . .
. . . Scroll down to: Saturday Afternoon Session
. . . Scroll down to: Elder Jeffrey R. Holland
. . . Then . . . choose: WATCH, LISTEN, or DOWNLOAD
(the text hasn't been uploaded yet)

BRIEF NOTES:
6th SPEAKER: Elder Jeffrey R. Holland
Quorum of the Twelve Apostles
(1) Topic: Mental Illness, or emotional disorders.

(2) These afflictions are the reality of mortal life just like a tumor or high blood pressure.

(3) Speaking of MDD (Major Depressive Disorder). Quotes Ammon and his brethren in BoM being depressed.

(4) MDD . . . this dark night of the mind and spirit is more than mere discouragement.

(5) It strikes anxious students, military veterans, grandmothers, and young fathers trying to provide for their families.

(6) I can feel a deep sympathy for those in these situations. Joseph Smith searched and contemplated the darkest abyss.

(7) How do you respond to those with mental challenges: never lose your faith in your Father in Heaven. God’s love is always there for you. Pursue those practices that bring blessings: Priesthood blessings, partake of the Sacrament, believe in miracles. Hope is never lost. Happier days are ahead.

(8) “When you face depletion depression, make the requisite adjustments. Fatigue is the common enemy of us all. So slow down, rest up, replenish and refill. Physicians promise us that if we do not take time to be well we will most assuredly take time later on.”

(9) Caregivers can only fix so much. Be grateful for what you can do. The Lord commands you to patiently endure some things as part of our mortal education. Don’t run faster than you have strength. Charity never faileth.

(10) There’s much to be grateful for. He tells of a close family. Stephanie who was burned in a plane crash. After five months in a coma she awoke, saw herself and wanted everyone to stay away and never look upon her. She fought her way back and now she is a popular “mommy blogger” with a divine purpose to be a mom and cherish every day.

(11) Trust in God. The dawn will break brightly. We are in the hands of the divine potter. God will make the repairs. We need to be merciful, non-judgmental and kind.

(12) Testifies of the holy resurrection, and gift of the atonement when those afflicted will be free at last. (tears are starting – now they’re flowing.)

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: October 07, 2013 02:45PM

(6) Bullshit

(7) Believe in miracles? What kind of advice is this?

(9) Patently endure? Are you out of your mind (npi) Jeff?

(10)More blame the victim bullshit.

(11)More god meant you to be this way bullshit.

(12)More god meant you to be this way bullshit.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.