Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 08:14PM

Thanks to a growing body of research by Tolkien and Near West experts, the mountain of evidence against Lord of the Rings as an actual history is growing smaller every day. Whereas once the alleged work of fantasy was scoffed at and accused of being merely a literary curiosity, scholars now agree that the evidence in favor of Tolkien's masterpiece is growing.

Part of the trilogy takes place in a kingdom known as Rohan, which is described as being situated just east of a gap in a mountain range that runs north-south. This gap, known as the Gap of Rohan, separates the rustic and relatively untamed lands to the west from a valley through which runs the great river Anduin, a separator of the lands of men from the evil industrial land of Mordor.

Tolkien, in a letter known as Number 183, explicitly stated "I am historically minded. Middle-earth is not an imaginary world... the theatre of my tale is this earth, the one in which we now live." He then goes on to say "it would be difficult to fit the lands and events (or 'cultures') into such evidence as we possess, archaeological or geological, concerning the nearer or remoter part of what is now called Europe; though the Shire, for instance, is expressly stated to have been in this region (England)."

Unaware of the actual locations in The Lord of the Rings other than the Shire, and only with a vague understanding that it took place somewhere in Europe, Tolkien apparently did not understand how remarkably well his history would align with real places.

On the Eastern edge of France runs a north-south range called the Vosges Mountains, the last piece of France one can pass through before entering the more modern and industrious nation of Germany. As you drive through modern France along Freeway "A4" heading East, the road bends sharply to the south in order to avoid the tall Vosges Mountains. Then, turning east, the freeway passes through a small gap in the mountains, just east of which lies the French town of Saverne.

Tolkien wouldn't have known it, but Saverne is home to what is known as "Rohan Castle," a neoclassicist structure open to the public that was erected in the late 18th century, though the name dates back to a much earlier time. Situated on the edge of the Vosges Mountains, Rohan Castle marks the entrance to a great valley through which runs the mighty Rhine River, the border between modern day France and Germany. As one reaches the end of the A4 freeway in Strasbourg one can cast their pole into the great river, a body of water that runs north and south, and hope to catch a tug from a dorades - a native fish common in the area with a name eerily similar to "Edoras." It was this river that formed part of the Western Front, a war line marked by heavy battle and bloodshed in the First and Second Great World Wars.

Is it coincidence that Tolkien happened to describe a specific region of France which he had most likely never visited with perfect detail without having ever realized it? Or is it not simply more logical to assume the obvious - that Tolkien received his information from a more divine source? As research continues, I am confident more evidence will be found confirming Eastern France as the actual location for the historical events recorded in Lord of the Rings.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 08:22PM

Great post. That was as good as or better than any apology written by Daniel Peterson or Mike Ash or Hugh Nibley.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 08:39PM

I am intrigued by your story; do you have...perhaps a couple of young well-dressed Hobbits with name tags who could visit my home and testify to the truthfulness of this 'Trilogy'?

Posted by: lurkerbelow ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 08:54PM

Tolkien was a prophet of the one true god, Eru Ilúvatar, who revealed to him the story of the lowly and humble hobbit Frodo. This hobbit's sacrifice has ensured that the race of men has lived a long on prosperous life. Praise his name.

Posted by: Not logged in. ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 02:55PM

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 09:28PM

Ask yourself - could Tolkien have written the Lord of the Rings. There is too much depth and breadth to the historical aspect for it to just be made up.

Date: October 15, 2013 11:24AM

Yep, this is just the tip of the iceberg. I even found a compelling chiasmus in The Two Towers, chapter 2:

"Their horses were of great stature (A), strong and clean-limbed (B); their grey coats glistened (C), their long tails flowed in the wind (D), their manes were braided on their proud necks (E). The Men that rode them matched them well: tall and long-limbed (B); their hair, flaxen-pale (D), flowed under their light helms (C), and streamed in long braids behind them (E); their faces were stern and keen (A)."

Horses
(A) Stature (Solidity)
(B) Limbs
(C) Coats (Raiment)
(D) Tail (Hair)
(E) Braids

Men
(B) Limbs
(D) Hair (Hair)
(C) Helms (Raiment)
(E) Braids
(A) Stern (Solidity)

Why (B) and (E) are inverted on the trailing end is uncertain as of yet, but there must be an important literary reason.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2013 01:05PM by kimball.

Date: October 14, 2013 09:39PM

To be honest, I spent no more than 30 minutes researching the Internet to come up with the information above (and if you check for yourself, my facts are pretty sound). Defenders of the Book of Mormon and Book of Abraham have had a lot more time than that.

Posted by: scarecrowfromozw ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 09:40PM

Don't forget that hobbits have been found.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/10/1027_041027_homo_floresiensis.html

How can anyone deny that the Lord of the Rings is real history? I'm sure there is a logical reason how they were found in Asia even if the geography says Europe.

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 11:21AM

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Tolkien was a complete fraud and a plagiarizer. He stole the story almost line for line from the Red Book of Westmarch. Solomon Spalding was a latter-day Bilbo.

Date: October 15, 2013 11:37AM

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 12:32PM

Don't forget Rivendell, which is located in a gorge carved by the river Bruinen.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2a/Rivendell_illustration.jpg

Although no archaeology has yet uncovered the ruins of Imaldris its location has long been known. Lauterbrunnen Switzerland.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7c/1_lauterbrunnen_valley_2012.jpg

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 03:28PM

With the passing of the elves to the Utter East after the War of the Rings, magic fades from the land. Gandalf leaves and the elves either go to Valinor or go into hiding. Hobbits become scarcer and scarcer to humans. Dwarves delve into the mines and are forgotten except in legend. Eventually, men only encounter other men and think that the other races are stories for children.

Of course, Tolkien wrote this to make his fantasy world more believable. He never intended it to become a cult of worship like some other works of fiction we have all read. It was fun as a teenager to fantasize that the LOTR was ancient history, but that's all it was: adolescent fantasy.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.