Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: W&W ( )
Date: October 20, 2013 04:58PM

Why disowning your kids is wrong. For the same reason Christ said "He who loves your mother or father more than me is not worthy of me." Just because people stop being Mormon or are not "perfect" does not mean they stopped believing in God and it also does not mean God stopped loving them. I never liked it when someone would yell at me to try and force me to make a decision I never had to make. If anyone's reading... Kudos on the printer thing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 20, 2013 05:21PM

Well, I guess they are following Christ's example of not giving eternal life to the kids who don't believe in him. You have to play along to receive the "gift" which is what parents who disown their kids are doing.

God (according to his collective actions in the Bible) is pretty clear about picking favorites and disowning the ones who don't conform.

That quote you gave from Christ is pretty creepy. That's hardly unconditional love.

Check your premises. Being inclusive is not about God loving you.

Being exclusive is usually about wanting people to think like you- and religion is a good mechanism for that.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: October 20, 2013 05:24PM

How about kids who disown their parents? Is that wrong?

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: October 20, 2013 06:57PM

My TBM parents claim that I disowned them, because I identified and criticized their abusive acts. My idiot father actually sent my brother a letter offering my brother the chance to disown his parents. Can you believe that?

I did tell my father to stop treating me poorly, or else leave me alone. He chose the latter. I guess he knew he couldn't handle the former.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: October 20, 2013 08:55PM

My husband's kids disowned them because he left Mormonism... and because their mother hates him.

Frankly, at this point, I no longer see their disowning us as a loss.

That being said, I do think that sometimes you have to "disown" people in your family if they turn out to be toxic or abusive. Sometimes family members can make your life miserable and going no contact is the right thing to do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2013 08:58PM by knotheadusc.

Posted by: W&W ( )
Date: October 20, 2013 06:32PM

No, it's not creepy, it's an actual quote, look it up. What it means is if our parents ask us to do something WRONG in the eyes of God, you have every right to NOT listen to them. Everyone gets out what they put in to their relationships. Mormonism tends to preach Absolutist authority to your parents (even past the age of 18) and that's wrong. Your old enough to think for yourself and every situation is different, but I am happy that I don't NEED my parents to take care of me anymore. Who stands up to the parents themselves when they admit to no wrongdoing?

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: October 20, 2013 07:02PM

I agree. I understand it to mean that you should do the right thing even if conflicts with your family. I.don't see anythingcreepy about that

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: October 20, 2013 09:15PM

And your God actually believes in the family the way you do.

Then again, the Christian god has some interesting views on family Mathew 10:34-38. Sounds like Jesus says to disown their children in order to follow Jesus.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: October 20, 2013 09:34PM

I find God and the Bible to be 100% creepy.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 20, 2013 11:41PM

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: October 21, 2013 02:50PM

I haven't read the thread because I can't wrap my brain around the idea that we have to have a thread that explains why it's wrong to disown your children. Why is this necessary? Are there people on this site to whom this is news?

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 21, 2013 02:55PM

Oh my. This is a condition that goes back to the beginning of time, if we can see the symbolism in the Cain and Able story.

Yes, parents and children often disown one another over what appears to be very minor situations, at least, on the outside.

When we cannot be compatible with our family members, sometimes it's best to remember we don't choose our family but we can choose our friends.

There is no such thing as fantasy parents, or fantasy children. We get what we get. We play the cards we are dealt.
Sometimes we need to separate from family members to have some peace.We would all like to have and give unconditional love at all times, but that is often just plain impossible. The emotionally driven behavior rises far above any peace or harmony at times.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.