Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: heretic ( )
Date: November 05, 2013 12:29PM

I have a nephew that was just called to serve a Mormon mission in Mexico.
The place he was called to, according to my Google search, is totally controlled by drug cartels.
It is the second, possibly the first, most dangerous place in all of Mexico
(which means it quite possibly is the most dangerous place in the world).
Violent crime is rampant and murders are a common everyday occurrence
among the people in this region.

The fact that TSCC would purposely send young, still "wet behind the ears"
boys into such a dangerous situation speaks volumes about how TSCC REALLY VIEWS their members.
Basically, members are nothing more than disposable assets to TSCC,
to be used up and cast aside when they provide no more value to them.
In addition, the fact that TBM parents allow this to occur,
without so much as a squeak, absolutely screams cult and brainwashing.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2013 12:08PM by heretic.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: November 05, 2013 12:37PM

So stupid to send anyone into those areas.

Posted by: skeptifem ( )
Date: November 05, 2013 12:43PM

I doubt they will have enough money to get a taxi but advise them to NEVER EVER TAKE A TAXI. Its a good way to get kidnapped.

Thats all my advice. I've only had to be in horrible parts of mexico for an hour or two. :( sorry about your nephew.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: November 05, 2013 01:31PM

I think to a certain extent the church thinks of it's members as there to serve the church, no matter the danger. They are a disposable commodity.

However, I also think they honestly believe they are doing God's will and are going to be blessed and protected. Members, if they are worthy of course, can march into danger like Daniel walking into the Lion's Den and they will be entitled to the same God-given protection. Having served a mission myself, the number of missionaries who took idiotic chances, certain God would protect them, boggled my mind. One of my better companions used to say "God don't help the stupid." I agreed with her - common sense and street smarts and just plain staying out of danger is essential. But that clueless, happy-go-lucky sense of protection persisted. I think this would be seen more with parents than the COB employees but I think it's a factor too.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: November 05, 2013 01:50PM

It's sad, but most TBM parents couldn't think for themselves long enough to ever consider researching the place that "the Lord" is sending their kid, let alone second guess it or demand a reassignment. They think it's a test of their faith. Chances are their kid will come home physically unscathed. And if he doesn't, it was the Lard's will, not the church's stupidity or the parents' negligence.

I was reading one of the missionary blogs over the weekend from the mission I am in, Little Rock, Arkansas, or vice versa. And I was specifically looking up the blogs of people who had been sent to Memphis. One kid said "I'm in Orange Mound (inner city Memphis), but at least it's the good part." Excuse me. There is NO good part of Orange Mound. I guess he means the part where you might not get robbed, or worse, if you have enough bars on your windows and bolts on your doors. At least until you go out. I doubt they take any real pictures of the neighborhood to send to their parents. I'd like to, but the parents wouldn't do a thing about it and it would only scare them more. Maybe ignorance is bliss.

I do know, however, that some wards here have a fair amount of African-American convert members. So putting them in an area of total poverty, where people have no computers and wouldn't know to research anything they're told by the mishies, might be as safe as putting them in some of the outlying suburbs that house the gun-toting redneck evangelicals. And at least they go home being able to tell stories about their baptisms.

Posted by: eldorado ( )
Date: November 05, 2013 09:33PM

This is so wrong, I am not from Mexico but grew up in New Mexico. There are places along the boarder that we knew not to got too or even stop your car at (this was 15yrs ago) I can only imagine some areas are even worse now. My heart really hurts for the Misshes, when we were back in NM this summer I saw some missionaries riding their bikes in 100 degree heat. I had my husband turn the car around so we could see if they needed a ride(I know dumb but it was so darn hot) I just felt so bad because by the time we got back to where they had been they were already gone. The Church really does not seem to care about thees kids, really its a sin IMHO.

Posted by: gentleben ( )
Date: November 05, 2013 09:42PM

What is really amazing is how the church seems to be able to spin a missionary death into a positive PR opportunity. They make it seem like missionaries are stripling warriors battling for good.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: November 06, 2013 12:25AM

My husband and I years ago did take responsibility with our two children who were determined to go on missions (despite our desire for them not to go), attempting to educate them and warn them just how dangerous their callings to Haiti and South Africa were. We BEGGED them to tell the LD$ church they needed to be sent to different places because their parents were DEAD SET against them serving in these two dangerous places. And, we told them we would talk to the higher ups if they wanted us to. Neither of them would follow our pleas because, of course, they believed their callings were inspired and this is where they needed to serve.

I am curious if anyone knows of a case where a missionary has asked to be sent to another location because of similar reasons I have described and have had their mission destination changed.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: November 06, 2013 12:28AM

Can you talk to your nephew and ask him if he knows the danger he is placing himself in? If he has already left, why don't you offer to pay his way back if he's having second thoughts? If he hasn't left maybe you could have a chat and explain to him just how dangerous that part of Mexico has become and convince him that you will stand by him if he wants to tell his parents and bishop he's not going. Having a full grown adult on your side could really help him out a lot.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: November 06, 2013 12:44AM

I just turned down an ALL paid for 14 day vacation to one of the safest places in Mexico.

I wouldn't give that free ticket to anyone I know.

I would NEVER EVER let one of my teenage (or older) kids go there on a church mission. NEVER.

I would be raising the roof daily if I knew anyone who was doing this. You will either get your child back in a box (if lucky) or they will have PTSD. WHY would anyone allow this?

Since the parents of these kids seem to be brain dead, maybe us X mormons should start a letter writing campaign to the church. They may or may not listen to us, but at least we can say we did what we could to prevent the kids in our family from being sent to these incredibly dangerous places.

This is a result of adults staying so naive that its dangerous. God doesn't protect those who insist on staying stupid.

Apparently the mormon adults really believe it when they're told that their prophet would never lead them astray. YES he will! He will very willingly send your kids to their death.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2013 12:49AM by madalice.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 06, 2013 12:52AM

I'm -a-betting that so son/daughter of Mormon Royalty gets sent to ANY questionable place...

Greatest danger for son/daughter of Royalty: SunBurn in Tahiti.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2013 12:54AM by guynoirprivateeye.

Posted by: lastofthewine ( )
Date: November 06, 2013 01:05AM

Google 'Mexican cartels' for an hour if you want to be horrified. I did last night.

I walked some sketchy areas on my mission, however, it's not even close to the same.

Stay the hell away from Mexico.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 06, 2013 04:42AM

In Utah boys are abandoned in canyons and die in boy scout uniforms. In third world countries young Utah men are are deposited in filth and dysentery.

Old men in Utah are protected by armored cars and guards where neither is needed.

Nuff said?

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 06, 2013 09:33AM

are taken care of by the leaders. I was SHOCKED when I came to this board and found out the horror stories. Aren't most missionaries told not to tell the family back home how bad things are?

Anyway--I certainly always believed the lds church CARED about and took care of their missionaries.

I always wondered why my mother sent my disabled brother on a mission. She was gungho about it. I just very recently realized why she sent him. She truly believed THEY were taking care of him and that she didn't have to worry about him for 2 years of his life. He came home a different person and he has never recovered. I took one look at him after he got off the plane and determined then and there that my 2-year-old son would NEVER serve a mission.

She was beyond being able to be comforted by the idea that we would take care of him after she died. She worried herself sick for years and years.

Parents really do believe that the lds church takes care of the missionaries.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: November 06, 2013 10:33AM

I have tried, and can try harder, to be vocal about the realities of LD$ missions by talking to the youth as well as the parents. People getting involved is about the only workable solution I see to this horrible mess.

It is, IMHO, a frustrating and scary situation because the TBM I've had these discussions with think that what I am saying just doesn't add up because their mormoney cult says something different-----which is TRUST US, the one true church will never lead you astray. I feel once in a while I have done a tiny bit of good, but they still basically fall for the church's scheme which is to keep the missionary isolated (very few phone calls allowed to whereever home is) and confiscating their passports (which, come to think about it, is that even legal?)

Missionaries come home sick both physically and emotionally and sadly sometimes in a box. I am so sorry and extend my sympathy for anyone who has experience with this f^$#ed up, dangerous game the LD$ church plays. I hope someday that huge lawsuit that is waiting to happen is what brings the cult down.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: November 06, 2013 11:31AM

Someone mentioned that missionaries are actively encouraged not to write home anything non-faith promoting to their parents. This includes any danger they are in, many illnesses they may be experiencing or any emotional difficulties they have. Bishop Jackwagon's son got shot at in his Eastern European mission and Mrs. BJ told me herself that her son wrote her saying "I'm not supposed to tell you this but...my comp and I got shot at last week. We are OK but it was scary." That's all he told her but she looked up his companion's blog and found out exactly what happened. Apparently his comp was even less "obedient" about keeping his mouth shut re: mission dangers. But honestly, I raised my kids to immediately distrust anyone who tries to get them to do anything that starts with the sentence "Don't tell your parents." Because they are up to no good.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.