Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: December 10, 2013 06:58PM

I don't know.

For some reason I find myself drawn to this place. I tell myself I'm done with all things exmo, but yet I come back. It might be weeks or a day, but I always come back.

I am surrounded by Mormons and Mormonism all day every day. It comes in all types; neighbors, family, friends, work, etc. So why add more?

I honestly don't know. Maybe I'm a masochist? Maybe the opposite view keeps me sane? Maybe I really do just enjoy the camaraderie?

I don't know if it's a healthy relationship I have with this place or if it has become one of my new obsessions. Or possibly even just a guilty pleasure.

I think when I figure out the answer, that is when I'll be fully recovered.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 10, 2013 07:00PM

It's because we like you. We really like you. :)

Posted by: utahstateagnostics ( )
Date: December 10, 2013 07:04PM

Like unto Sally Field

Date: December 10, 2013 07:09PM

Thanks Summer :)

Posted by: pamelaf3211 ( )
Date: December 10, 2013 07:02PM

I think maybe you're drawn here because all the mormonism is around you and this help you regain some balance. That is the only thing I can think of.

I just left the church last week. I live in Utah County so I get what you mean when you say it is EVERYWHERE. This is the one place it is not. So....balance is healthy. :)

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: December 10, 2013 07:02PM

At least you're an exmormon!

I'm doubly fucked or guilty or obsessed or masochistic... :-/

;-)

Posted by: myantonia ( )
Date: December 10, 2013 07:08PM

So am I, spag-o, so am I! :))

Date: December 10, 2013 07:10PM

Maybe That's why I like you? ;)

Posted by: myantonia ( )
Date: December 10, 2013 07:31PM

You guys are awesome, seriously. That's why I keep coming, besides checking the latest on what might be happening to my TBM stepson as he is processed through the missionary sausage factory in SLC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2013 07:33PM by myantonia.

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: December 10, 2013 07:13PM

I guess I feel like you need the balance and a way to say what you really think about things without them being passed through the 'Mormon" mindset judgement and blank stare response.

For myself, I am SO glad you want to come back, as I would miss VERY MUCH you if you didn't. Pamelaf3211, welcome and how wonderful that you are here with us all.

spagetti oh, what would we do without you? No matter how messed up you are!! Heh heh, join the club!!!

Date: December 10, 2013 08:26PM

Thank you fluhist :)

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: December 10, 2013 07:27PM

With all of you, I don't seek out real friends in the real world.

I can vent, rant, piss off, be stubborn and irritate all of you without any repercussions.

Forgive me in advance; I may stick around here for awhile.

Thanks to each of you for being an online pen pal...

This place is the best forum online; bar none.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: December 10, 2013 07:29PM

I clicked onto this site for the first time about a month ago. I read the post that led me here. Then another. Before I knew it I had 10+ tabs open with threads I wanted to read because they sounded interesting.

I mean post after post says things that I have thought my whole life but quietly pushed aside.

Now I come here every day.

Posted by: neverevermo ( )
Date: December 10, 2013 07:29PM

for me, it's a way to cope.

Posted by: ftw ( )
Date: December 10, 2013 07:32PM

I know... I keep thinking I should stop coming to this forum, but my wife is still TBM so if/when that changes, maybe I'll be able to finally move on.

Posted by: ftw ( )
Date: December 10, 2013 07:35PM

There are some pretty good posts in here though. And seeing new people constantly, going through the same stuff, dealing with the same kinds of troubles. At least you know you're not alone.

Posted by: Red ( )
Date: December 10, 2013 08:39PM

Personally I come here when I'm vegetating and turning away from all my responsibilities. I'm pretty much over Mormonism so reading all things exmo and participating in discussions just beats a dead horse. But it fills my darkest idle moments :-) And you are all clever, fun people to forum with.

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: December 10, 2013 10:40PM

This place starts all sorts of lines of inquiries for me. The stuff they don't teach at church.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2013 10:41PM by crom.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: December 10, 2013 10:43PM

I'm just here for the refreshments.

Date: December 10, 2013 11:01PM

"I'm just here for the food."- Ever After

Posted by: En Sabah Nur ( )
Date: December 10, 2013 10:45PM

I see RfM as a place to play with friends.

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: December 10, 2013 11:04PM

If you feel better after coming here, if it's helping you grow in "real life", if it's a good place to vent, then it's probably pretty healthy.

You contribute a lot here. You reach out to people in their vulnerability and you're willing to be vulnerable yourself. That means a lot to people--you've commented on a few raw posts of mine in a loving way and that helped me more than you know.

Date: December 11, 2013 06:34AM

I've always loved your posts stb. I'm glad to know I've helped a little :)

Posted by: Ziggy ( )
Date: December 10, 2013 11:13PM

I am NOT drawn here! I can quite any timee I pleaze. I donn't need this palzzz. I am prefectly happie without xvs and there is ngher why I cnnnt livv witoot comink heere.

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: December 10, 2013 11:18PM

I tend to me shy and reclusive in real life. RFM affords me the ability to unleash my alter ego with impunity.

Thank you all for putting up with me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2013 11:19PM by Senoritalamanita.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: December 10, 2013 11:41PM

"I tend to me shy and reclusive in real life."

That definitely comes as a shock. I imagined you as the life of the party . . . well, you are here.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: December 10, 2013 11:19PM

I suspect it depends on the person and his reason for coming here. If you are here because you find it interesting,have friends here,or need the support, it is good. If it feeds into your anger and keeps you from moving on, it can be bad.It is also bad if you spend all your time here as opposed to having a life.I wonder about a few poster,but I don't really know.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: December 10, 2013 11:53PM

Just for a few minutes now and then I want to be understood. I want the shared history. I want my scars recognized. I want to see the scars of others--that's so important. I feel a sort of survivor's bond. It feels good.

Posted by: purelove ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 12:20AM

+1

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 12:26AM

I too feel surrounded by understanding "been-there-done-that-friends" who not only reach out with their own perspectives and take on moronism, but make me laugh and laugh some more.

My life has a fair amount of TBM's that I love but that drive me batshit crazy insane that they just cannot seeeee the clear writing on the wall that Joey was scamming the world and just a smilin' when he did it,

So I come here to see sanity and humor about the insanity, and it gives me mountains of HOPE.

Thanks to ya,all again, and, in my book, there is nothing better to get addicted to than good humorous understanding friends!

Posted by: Yaqoob ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 12:42AM

The subject matter is so real and brutal here. The stories, the sex, scandal, and lies. It's not contrived. It's 100% honest human experience. I love it, even the fights and especially the occasional terrified TBM who walks in accidentally.

Posted by: nomorefencesitting ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 02:46AM

I left Mormonism long ago, but have never resigned. I now (thanks to RfM) am thinking about FINALLY sending in my letter--at least it's typed up. I just have to print it. Anywho, I come here because I have found what I have been missing ever since I came out to my TBM friends about my disbelief--other disbelievers who aren't afraid to tell it like it is without the "you know one day you'll come back" bul%*&t I have to hear all the time. You all give me hope that (when I finally do send in the letter, or even if I don't), I will be among people who understand what it's like to be truly alone among a group of people who professed to have loved you, but later found out that that love is only conditional...you know, if you come back to church that is--otherwise you are the spawn of Satan! So, thank you all for existing and talking to me whenever I need to vent.

Posted by: Red ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 07:14AM

Nomorefencesitting, resigning via email is a quick easy option too: http://www.exmormon.org/remove.htm

Posted by: Kendal Mint Cake ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 06:58AM

RFM is a lifeline and gives us a good laugh too.

Summer should write self-help books. I'd but them.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.