Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: AnonAbdulJabbar ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 12:29PM

This quote is still used frequently in manuals and lessons. It is part of a letter that Joseph Smith wrote to Nancy Rigdon (19, daughter of Sidney Rigdon) a few days after Nancy rebuffed Joseph's attempt to take her as a polygamous wife.

It's a great quote. Too bad it is so creepy as it comes from a creepy 36 year old creeper trying to corral another teenage bride.

As this quote is so frequently used in lessons, does anyone have an experience in which they provided the context to this quote in a room full of TBMs?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 12:37PM

You're assuming the average Mormon is interested in context. It's in the manual, which is all the context they need.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 03:51PM

"You're assuming the average Mormon is interested in context"

LMAO

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 12:42PM

I discussed this with a HC speaker one Sunday. He used this quote, but only the first sentence. He then went on to discuss the shifting ethics and morals of the world, including and especially situational ethics. I asked him if he had ever read the entire quote. He was not aware there was more. He is now.

Posted by: jazzskeeter ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 12:43PM

I believe what he said. Happiness IS the holy grail. But, for me, living Mormon principles doesn't bring it. I found it after I left the church.

They say things like this, then the next week, the lesson is on "enduring to the end". Well, which is it??

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 12:44PM

I hate that quote and along with that add "might have joy."

Happiness if it exists is something we design for ourselves. If happiness were the object of our existence then there would be instinctual and few ways to it. Mormonism becomes the route of a deluded human animal designed for only one "straight and narrow way" to achieve what they have been designed to achieve.

And like many of Mormonism's ways sounds more like Lucifer talking than some kind of personal salvation talk.

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 03:08PM

JS seemed to find happiness in the pants (dresses) of young girls and married women.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 03:29PM

Mormon Happiness is what you find in Joseph Smith's pants.

You pick what it is you want to find there as a Mormon. A Celestial Prick burning your bosom or a what is now a petrified "seer stone" that really is a really old poop.

I wonder if he was buried in his Gs?

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 06:47PM

I always used to listen to that quote with amazement. I was living in an abusive marriage to a RM priesthood holder. I was popping out a baby every couple of years (if I was lucky, there were some closer than that), trying to keep up with a MOUNTAIN of housework, laundry etc, constantly being told how BAD I was at it all by my DH and THAT was supposed to be happiness? I often used to think that "Woman is that she might have exhaustion", fitted better!

My opinion has NOT changed despite many years since I did all that!!
My favourite hobby now is sleeping, to make up for those sleepless years!

Thanks for the info about the context of that quote. What a sleezy b****d JS was. And to think I thought he was a prophet. HONESTLY!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2014 06:49PM by fluhist.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 07:33PM

Happiness and Mormonism are polar opposites, in my experience.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.