Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anon this time ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 03:23PM

Well, it looks like I am getting older & have developed cataracts.

If you don't mind me asking, if anyone out there has had lens implants, which kind did you choose? Mono focal, multi-focal or something else? Do you like them or would you get something different next time?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Annonme ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 04:00PM

My wife did the multi-focal. But that's because she wore multi-focal contacts, so she was used to the vision they provided. And keep in mind; there is no next time. Once they put in the lense it's pretty much permanent. Her doctor said the best thing to do is get the lense that will produce the vision the way you currently have it. If you use glasses for reading but you can see far away, choose the lense that will still give you good vision for distance. You'll need reading glasses, but if you use reading glasses now, you'll be used to it.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 01:12AM

I've always been far-sighted in my left eye, so I can use it for driving if I have to. But I can't read up-close with it to save my life.

However, my right eye is very short-sighted, and I can read just fine with that one. So I figured that if I ever got into a situation where I either had to read something up-close, or drive somewhere and my glasses were broken, I could rely on that combination to get me home.

I discussed this with my surgeon, and he said he had never done that, but said that my reasoning was impeccable, so that's the kind of lenses he installed.

I can't read for long or drive for long without glasses or I will get a terrible headache due to the unevenness, but I can get through emergencies, and that's what I wanted to do.

It's been at least a decade now, and the combination continues to work well. GOOD LUCK!

Posted by: dejavue ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 07:45PM

Just did mine a month ago. Did Mono for several reasons. Cost was a factor in that insurance covered most of it. I ended up paying $170 as insurance paid the rest. I was told insurance would cover it all - but not so. Next lens up would have cost me (they said) about $400 more and the Top lens, would have cost an extra $1,600. (They said) I do not belive all I am told.

Friend went with top quote..Lazer surgery.... She had total loss of vision in left eye now (They said 1 in 10,000 chance of that happening) - and only partial vision in other eye.

Saw doctor this morning. He says I have 20/20 vision now.However, things are a bit blurry to me and have a 1/4 halo in right eye. Doctor said to give it three more months and then we will check it again. I appreciate that I can see at all and even though I sound like I am complaining, however, I am glad I went ahead and had the surgery. I do believe my sight will continue to improve. Each persons experience is sigular. First eye was easy. Didn't feel a thing. Second eye painful but see better out of left eye now. Good luck.

Posted by: moira ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 09:45PM

I'm a little confused, dejavue. When you refer to your friend, did she lose her vision from laser surgery to correct her vision so she wouldn't need glasses or from laser surgery for the cataract? I'm curious as I am partially blind in my left eye and had a cataract removed from that eye in 1988 that had developed from the injury that damaged it in childhood. I now have developed a cataract in my good eye. (I actually see more light in my bad eye so I now know it's time to remove the cataract.) I'm nervous about any surgery on my good eye so if you can clarify, I'd appreciate it.

Posted by: Bicentennial Ex ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 10:43PM

My ophthalmologist gave me the news sometime back that I have incipient cataracts and it was no surprise.

Nor was it disturbing as my parents and a sibling have had successful cataract surgery. I pointed this out to him, too.

He took the moment to state that he does not recommend multifocal lenses due to risks involved. He was quite solid on his position and while I'm a few years out from having any surgery I think it's significant that he brought this up so soon and with such emphasis.

There are still choices to make, including whether the replacement lenses will correct for distance (requiring reading spectacles) or reading focus (requiring distance spectacles).

Since I'm among the generation whose first computer was a key punch, I'm presently tempted to ask for correction to computer distance and then take bifocal or progressives for near and far. Outside of the home and workplace I wear progressives because I find them ideal for driving, errands and shopping.

I'll revisit this when the time comes; by then my retirement activities may call for primarily near, intermediate, or distance vision. I haven't figured out what I'll be doing then.

Good luck and be sure to ask your doctor's advice.

BcE

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 11:58PM

Okay, I obviously have no idea. Ignore me.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 10:43AM

Me neither

Posted by: Anon for this ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 03:24PM

Little ones--
Your time will come.

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 12:17AM

Complications for that kind of sergery is actualy very rare. Alot more rare than when I had my right eye done in the early 80s and they messed it up. You'll be fine but when you get a lense you get one its tough to get it replaced. They didnt even bother giveing me one in the first place so meh.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 06:28AM

Nice to see you around, blindmag! How are things going for you?

Posted by: dejavue ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 12:57AM

My friend's surgeries were Lazer Surgeries. Her right eye was done first. The retna some how got torn. They re-did the surgery to repair the retna. Then the second eye did the same. They were unable to repair the damage. She lost total eye sight in the left eye.

I do not know what caused the problems. I don't think anyone does. She may have bent over too far or too much after the surgies. She may have tried to lift something (She didn't think she had but...) She smokes and so that may have contributed. No one knows for sure. I understand that it is very rare to have a problem like hers.
-
No one is blaming or taking responsibility. It's just what happened. This happened about a year ago. Mine was done this last December. I had talked to several people who had had the proceedure done and all (but this one friend) had nothing but good experiences and outcomes. They assured me that I would be glad that I did it. (Considering the alternative, I couldnt agree more.)
-
Still, the problems my friend experienced made me a bit uncomfortable.

Posted by: somib ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 10:13AM

Suggest you go online to research this subject. There is a difference between monofocal and monovision. Monovision has one eye corrected for distance and the other for reading. Monofocal lenses correct both eyes the same way; for distance, intermediate, or for reading. Multifocal and accomodating lenses offer good vision at various distances.

In my case, the surgeon attempted to correct both eyes for distance. However, I ended up with 20/40 vision. I am very happy with the result.
1. I can read most menus without glasses
2. I use the computer without glasses
3. I use reading glasses for close work and reading
4. I use distance glasses ( -1.0 correction) for driving.

Posted by: Anon this time ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 01:00PM

Thanks for all the good input.
If I put makeup on everyday then I would assume I would want some that can focus pretty near, I will get the opinion of the eye doctor of course.
I don't like to put glasses on to read a price tag when I go shopping or read the directions on the side of a box.I have used reading glasses and I am not that fond of them. I always wear dark glasses when I drive or go outside.

decisions….

Posted by: caligrace ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 01:56PM

My husband had cataract surgery in his left eye in September, and we were presented the options for mono focul or multi focul...with the LARGE caveat that our insurance would pay for the mono focul only. LOL. So that's what we went with. He still wears glasses and since he hasn't had the right eye done yet it's hard to tell the long term outcome. Apparently the problems with glare he was having are gone now.

Good luck!

Posted by: nomoinprovo ( )
Date: January 15, 2014 07:52PM

I need cataract surgery in my right eye and I need glasses right now for both eyes. I'm worried about what to do about my glasses between the surgery and being able to get new glasses.

Posted by: Eyedoc ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 02:09AM

I am an ophthalmologist and what I generally do is have the patient pop the lens out the glasses on the side just operated on until the eye heals enough to receive the glasses prescription. For me, that's typically about three weeks.

Posted by: Anon for this ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 04:29PM

Thanks for the added info.
If I may ask another question..
is there a big advantage over laser incision verses "regular" incision?
does it affect healing time?

Posted by: caligrace ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 06:00PM

My husband had the laser incision, and it was totally healed and he was back to normal life in 48 hours. My sister in law had "regular" and was out of commission for more than a week.

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 06:04PM

I had mono lenses, my left eye has 20-20 at distance, and my right eye has 20-20 at around 4 feet. I told the opthalmologist I was a photographer and needed to be able to see w/o glasses, and that's what I got. I can do fine w/o glasses, but I can also get them if I ever decide I want perfect vision at any distance (will need bifocals, though). I can read w/o glasses also now, as long as it's not too close.

But...be aware of one thing, and it's MAJOR. After you get the surgery, you'll be shocked at how well you can see and how colors are so vivid. Pay attention to this, as some people gradually develop a film over their eyes after cataract surgery. It's a slow process and took about 2 years for me, and I really wasn't aware of what was going on, I interpreted it as something else being wrong, like my cognitive abilities. I thought it was odd that I'd reach for something and it wasn't quite where I thought, that kind of thing, and I became a dangerous driver. When I finally noted the highway signs were no longer readable, I went back to the doc. They removed the film in seconds with a laser and I was back to having great vision. It's a one-time thing and about 20% of people get it.

As for the original surgery, painless and I was back at it after a day or two. had the non-laser incision for that.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2014 06:06PM by lostinutah.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 07:33PM

I had implants that corrected my vision so it was 20/20.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.