Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: capitolmoroni ( )
Date: February 16, 2014 04:53PM

They keep trying to come over and I get mail too. Ive never attended the local ward in the 3 yrs I've lived here. I've never met or seen a ward member other than through the hole in my front door. I don't answer when I see them. Its obvious too because they are the only white people knocking.

I haven't attended any ward in 10 yrs.

Is it possible to stop the knocking and mail?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2014 04:54PM by capitolmoroni.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: paintingintheWIN ( )
Date: February 16, 2014 05:03PM

particularly if its a small town, buy several $6 or $10 adds in the dollar saver put it in various sections, much like the prayers or novenas scattered about in my local dollar saver. Just something simple like this: I think cookies left lying on the ground at the door are disgusting. .... or dogs flies and germs make cookies left outside on the ground near doors unsanitary and are best thrown in the trash.

That would cause ruckus in fellow shipping in the local branch.

Posted by: paintingintheWIN ( )
Date: February 16, 2014 05:04PM

waste if cookie dough to cook it and leave it lying on the ground. Who would do that? Who would do something like that?

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: February 16, 2014 05:05PM

A howitzer on your front porch is about the only thing that will get the message across to some of them.

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: February 16, 2014 05:06PM

No. Not really. Even if you talk to the Bishop, RS President, EQP, missionaries, etc. and convince all of them to leave you alone, five years from now, all of those people will have been replaced. And then some new RS Prez will be looking over the ward list, and see your name, and say, "I wonder who this person is. I better send somebody around to invite them to church!" And it starts all over again.

The only way it ever really stops is if your name isn't on their list anymore, or they don't have your address.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 16, 2014 05:07PM

You can ask to be put on their "do not contact" list. In some wards this reduces contact dramatically and in others it has no effect. But it might be worth a try.

Resignation is also an option.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 16, 2014 05:27PM

They will put people on a no contact list, only to make fun of the people on the no contact list during PEC, and plot different ways to contact them anyway. Resignation is the only viable answer, but even then they may contact you.

Posted by: corwin ( )
Date: February 17, 2014 11:18AM

When I was the ward clerk, probably around 2002 or thereabouts, it came down from "higher up" that we were stop having any "Do Not Contacts". I had to go through the records and remove all references to "DNC". I do not know if this revelation was limited to our stake, our area, or what.

Later when I was in the EQ presidency trying to re-activate people, the only reason we left certain individuals alone was rumors that they were "hostile" and had threatened legal action or violence towards TBMs. Everyone else was fair game -- official policy was everyone on the rolls HAD to be contacted AT LEAST annually.

To summarize, even if you can get on a "do not contact" list, you might still be contacted.

(The primary driver for annual contact was Home Teaching numbers. HT statistics were making the stake pres look bad, so he had us mark each inactive* as 100% home taught for the next 12 months each time we made contact.)

* Funny story. TSCC leadership banned the term "inactive" and required the use of the term "less-active". One day I showed up at a less-active's house to make contact, and somehow I used the word "less-active" in our conversation. He snorted and said "Less active? You mean INACTIVE, I've never been to your ward."

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 17, 2014 02:49PM

Sounds like we MUST be rather aggressive to cut off contact. That's difficult for many who are worried about looking rude or mean to TBM harassers. If those who intrude are people exmos know, it's more difficult to yell or hose them than it was for me when only total strangers from other neighborhoods trespassed onto my porch.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: February 16, 2014 05:32PM

Post a no trespassing sign.
"NO trespassing"
"Invitees only"
"All others will be arrested and charged with criminal trespass!"

When somebody trespasses call the police before you answer the door. Then stall answering the door until the police arrive.Then press charges. One time should be sufficient.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2014 05:32PM by thedesertrat1.

Posted by: bearlaker ( )
Date: February 16, 2014 05:39PM

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 16, 2014 05:55PM

But sometimes resigning only helps in a limited way depending on how demented they ward members happen to be.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: February 16, 2014 07:07PM

No - do this. Say "I've studied up about the problems of Mormonism and why it's a fraud and a cult. If you would like to escape from Mormonism, I can help you. I know all kinds of things that will kill your testimony. When you come back next time, I'll have enough info prepared for you that you will never want to be Mormon again. And send your questioning friends too. I'll just assume anyone who comes by wants to know how to get out of the church and make sure they get the information to do so. In fact, I'll pray you lose your testimony and put you on several prayer lists the ____ church and the ___________ church have where they pray for people to escape the LDS church. Looking forward to having you or your friends come back so I can help you with your addiction to Mormonism."

Posted by: not in outer darkness ( )
Date: February 16, 2014 08:17PM

Several years ago I asked the local bishop if he would please put our family on a "no contact" list and he said that 'it wouldn't do any good' because missionaries are transferred every couple of months and the new missionaries couldn't keep current with the 'no contact' list. He told me the only way the missionaries would stop coming is if I had my name removed from the records of the church. So I told him right then and there, over the phone, "Then please remove my name". About two weeks later I received my confirmation letter from SLC. Talk about having to take drastic actions just to be left alone! But it worked! I haven't had one missionary knock on my door since, even by accident!

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: February 16, 2014 08:59PM

Leave me alone you fucking ass snots. I'd sooner cut off my dick than come back to your fucking cult. Got it?

Posted by: icedtea ( )
Date: February 17, 2014 01:36PM

Put THAT on a sign on your door. Should work!

Posted by: icedtea ( )
Date: February 17, 2014 01:38PM

I just showed them the pentacle necklace I always wear, smiled, and said, "I'm a pagan. That's not a problem, is it?"

They've never so much as knocked on my door since.

Posted by: Rusty Shackleford ( )
Date: February 16, 2014 10:37PM

Supposedly, there is also a "blacklist" (or "do not contact" list) that a bishop or stake president can put you on as a punitive action. This may very well be what has kept any reactivaton folks away from me for almost ten years.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: February 16, 2014 10:45PM

Calling them "ward idiots" to their faces may keep them from returning. Or, "What ward was it you escaped from? Is the wagon out looking for you?"

Posted by: John Ferrier ( )
Date: February 16, 2014 11:52PM

It doesn't work. My wife and I tried that for several years and we were constantly "contacted" for several years. It was almost always love bombing so we finally had to resign. We should have done that long before. That's really the only way to go.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: February 17, 2014 01:26AM

that they are determined to do.

You can put up signs, tell people to leave you alone, resign, confront, etc. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't (usually it helps, at least for a while). It can drive you nuts if you really expect people to change their behavior for you. I've seen a lot of people get upset over the years on because people DON'T respect their wishes. Sometimes I've been one of them (and I probably will be again, sometime). Truth is, you really have no control over them. But if you let their behavior mess up your day, then you are giving up control of your life.

In the end, you can really only control yourself and figure out how to respond if people don't respect your boundaries. Planning for likely situations (much as we did in YM/YW) can help you respond on the fly.

What are you going to do if they call? (Answer, ignore, or call back and tell them to take you off their calling list?)

What are you going to do if they knock? (Play nice, but no thanks, tell them uncomfortable facts about their church, or tell them you aren't interested?)

And what are you going to do afterwards, so you don't let them ruin your day?

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 17, 2014 09:09AM

I resigned 2 years ago and I have been visited more times by missionaries than in the previous 25 years I have lived here. I still get the ward newsletter, get invites to ward parties, RS functions, etc.

The missionary visits have been interesting--have actually been empowering to me. I'm usually not someone who stands up for myself, but for some reason, those missionaries have brought it out in me. I'm not mean. I just state facts--that I'm glad to be out.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: February 17, 2014 09:27AM

Why yes you can, and you can even do so without making threats, posting signs, or breaking the law. What you do is you establish yourself as the biggest "Anti-Mormon" in your area. Every time the idiots visit, share with them some interesting tidbits about the church. Things like Joseph Smith molesting and raping teenage girls, including a fourteen year old Helen Kimball. Share with them the DNA controversy, point out that BYU itself has spent millions of dollars looking at Native American DNA, and actually has the largest collection of samples in the world, but keep their findings secret, which would be strange had they actually found something. Point out that Jesus would never build a mall, especially one adjacent next door to his temple.

If you are an atheist, go after the very existence of Jesus Christ himself, and point out the flaws in the bible. They will not only leave you alone, they will cross over to the other side of the street every time they walk past your house.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: February 17, 2014 09:34AM

I think you have to be blunt.

Posted by: AIT ( )
Date: February 17, 2014 11:25AM

I was able to log on to my ward list and updated my contact preferences so that my family only appeared on administrative lists, not HT or VT lists. I want to resign but I want my whole family to do it together.

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: February 17, 2014 11:36AM

Assuming you live in a country with some level of rule of law, I would send a letter to the bishop and state you want no contact at all, and if they attempt it you'll notify the police of harassment. You have to mean it, though, and follow through if they test it.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: February 17, 2014 01:09PM

Water hose, like Cheryl?

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: February 17, 2014 01:33PM

They stopped coming over after I kept telling them that Joseph Smith was a sex maniac, fraudster and adulterer.

Posted by: Jilly ( )
Date: February 17, 2014 01:51PM

Simply resign. Then, the neighbor you've really liked for years will suddenly 1) either pretend you never existed or 2) behave as if you pissed on his leg.

Trust me on this one.

Posted by: vh65 ( )
Date: February 17, 2014 02:19PM

Like you, i had about 3 years of peace at my new home in Northern California before they found me. I requested no contact in June, in writing, and received a letter back, agreeing - with the warning that sometimes missionaries have different lists. Not a prep since.

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: February 17, 2014 02:43PM

Put a sign up revealing temple secrets, ahem I mean 'sacreds'. That will get you blacklisted quick.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.