Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mark ( )
Date: March 10, 2014 04:08AM

So I was just thinking the other day...you know how Mormons always wince when you try to show them something exposing the church as a fraud? They will dismiss it, calling it "anti-Mormon" or from Satan, without a second thought.

So it popped into my head: Missionaries come up to your door and ask you to read some silly book that's supposed to be history that you should base your entire life off of, and after you read it you should pray to "god" and ask if it's true and the "spirit" will "manifest the truth of it unto you".

And yet...if you ask them to read some "anti" literature, they will probably decline. See the hypocrisy here?

I think it'd be interesting to try this on a missionary. See if they'll consider reading some OTHER books if you agree to read the BoM (even if you've already read it).

If you've already tried this, tell me your story. I'd like to hear it. :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gentleben ( )
Date: March 10, 2014 04:24AM

I've tried this, the two at my door declined the invitation. Mormonism is the premier drive by religion. Speed by, fire of a few pot shots, and speed away. If one of their magic bullets happens to hit a victim, great, if not shoot up the next neighborhood. They never look back.

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: March 10, 2014 05:07AM

When my nevermo kids were in elementary school, they were asked by their Mormon friends to attend church with them. I encouraged them to tell their friends that they'll go to church with them on one Sunday if they'll come to our church (Unitarians) the next Sunday.

My kids were never asked to attend church again. It's definitely a one-way street with morgbots.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: March 10, 2014 05:19AM

People tried this on me when I was missionary. I was always open to doing so.

That's actually how I ended up with a copy of "A Course in Miracles"

I also got the Quran.

And a copy of Alcoholic's Anonymous.

I never turned down a book.

Anyway, none of those people ever came close to keeping up their end of the deal. Not that I blame them.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.