Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: IsThisTrue? ( )
Date: March 15, 2014 09:04PM

I heard from an inactive/exmo attending a university near the Utah border with Idaho, that this particular university is now being referred to as "BYU-North" by exmo/non-Mormons due to all the students not getting into BYU immediately going here. Based on this student's experience, exmo students are marginalized and looked down upon by the largely Mormon staff. Anyone else seen this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: roslyn ( )
Date: March 15, 2014 09:14PM

I do hope this isn't true, my child will be attending said university and was hoping to avoid the BYU atmosphere.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2014 09:14PM by roslyn.

Date: March 15, 2014 09:24PM

As entrance to BYU has become more difficult, TBM students are reportedly flooding the campus. One woman told me her non-Mormon daughter "passed" as Mormon to avoid shunning while there.

Posted by: safetynotguaranteed ( )
Date: March 15, 2014 09:28PM

How difficult is to actually get into BYU? Like, comparatively to other schools which are academically comparable? Over what period of time has it become more difficult?

Date: March 15, 2014 09:33PM

This exmo told me that over the last 5-10 years it's become increasingly difficult to get into BYU because so many TBM students want to go there. So students who don't make the cut, are now heading to this university to find their eternal mate.

Date: March 15, 2014 09:37PM

Not sure, my child was accepted, we will find out what their scholarship is in a month or so but they aren't going, just wants to know what the scholarship is/was. 3.7 gpa and a 33 on the ACT, decent grades, decent ACT score, was accepted into all colleges applied to. Honestly I think most kids want to go to BYU because the application process is so easy compared to other universities and the price is so low.

Posted by: anon4this ( )
Date: March 15, 2014 10:01PM

My daughter had a 4.0 and 33 ACT and was offered a full tuition scholarship at BYU last year. One of her friends had a 3.8 and a 31 ACT and was offered nothing. The problem with most BYU academic scholarships is that they're generally only guaranteed for a year. Most scholarship recipients have to reapply every year. I looked to see what the average GPA was for 2012 for those who were able to continue their scholarship and it was something like a 3.94.

That's neither here nor there for my daughter now. She went to another University on a full ride for 4 years. So glad she didn't go to BYU.

Date: March 15, 2014 10:09PM

Same with my child, full ride scholarship elsewhere, so glad we don't have to worry about BYU.

Posted by: hikergrl ( )
Date: March 16, 2014 10:01AM

When I attended, 20+ years ago, the average ACT score was 25.

I received my grad degree from a state school on the east coast and it was a joke compared to BYU.

Posted by: anon4thisagain ( )
Date: March 15, 2014 10:03PM

I think it's quite difficult to get into BYU now. My daughter had a friend who had a 3.7 and 29 ACT and didn't get in last year.

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: March 15, 2014 09:37PM

I've never been to byu, but I heard byu students putting duck tape around their legs under their clothes to get a date or spouse. maybe they are doing this at other colleges now. pretty bizarre if you ask me.

Posted by: story100 ( )
Date: March 15, 2014 10:46PM

Maybe I am naive, but can you explain to me what the hell the duct tape is for?

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: March 15, 2014 10:59PM

story100 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe I am naive, but can you explain to me what
> the hell the duct tape is for?

I, too, am really curious about what conceivable date- or spouse-attracting benefits duct tape could provide,

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 16, 2014 12:39AM

It's wrapped around the thighs of young men (who have not yet been on missions) to simulate garment lines. Reportedly there are girls who give young men's legs a friendly pat-down to check for temple worthiness.

Date: March 16, 2014 01:07AM

summer Wrote:
> It's wrapped around the thighs of young men (who
> have not yet been on missions) to simulate garment
> lines. Reportedly there are girls who give young
> men's legs a friendly pat-down to check for temple
> worthiness.

Thanks. I had no idea.

Posted by: Alpiner ( )
Date: March 15, 2014 10:04PM

My not-so-recent experience has been that folks who want fall-back options will apply to BYU, BYUI, and UVU.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 15, 2014 10:14PM

My brother was turned down by BYU, but he was accepted by Berkeley, a far superior university. He's glad the Y turned him down, because he got to study in Mongolia. He even taught English there. Conversely, I have a sister who was given a BA at BYU. She can't compose a complete sentence and is unemployed.

If the BYU influence continues, Rocky Mountain college students will be flipping burgers for a living.

Date: March 15, 2014 10:18PM

I think the reason TBM students will go to this university is that it's still in Utah, and not so far from their families.

From what I'm hearing, professors at this institution now worry about TBM student complaints, e.g., over "inappropriate material," so there is a lot of self censoring and catering to LDS students to avoid career obstacles.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 16, 2014 12:23AM

"This institution"?

Is Utah State University too difficult to spell, or what? What's with the coyness, people?

I know a couple exMo profs there, so it is not exactly BYU-North yet.

Posted by: Solitary Loner ( )
Date: March 16, 2014 12:26AM

My TBM cousin went there. She and her husband ended up moving out of Utah, and they are never moving back. Their lives are too good where they are.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 16, 2014 12:32AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky_Mountain_College

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2014 12:33AM by anybody.

Posted by: formermollymormon ( )
Date: March 16, 2014 12:37AM

I have a YBU fan nephew that is going to go to Utah State. I was hoping that maybe being at a non church school would help him get out of the cult so I am disappointed to hear that there may be a lot of mormon influence there. He says he's going there and not YBU because of his major. Now I have to wonder if he couldn't get into YBU and came up with the major excuse.

Posted by: Big Blue ( )
Date: March 16, 2014 03:50AM

I am a Utah State grad and a Cache Valley native. This whole thread is complete bullshit. BYU North? Have any of you even been to Utah State?

First, there are a very few true dumbasses that will wear BYU gear on campus. And they are relentlessly mocked and tortured for doing so... because students at Utah State fuggin' HATE BYU. There was even a Facebook Group that identified and publicly mocked these douches.

And a "fall back"? Sorry. False. UVU is a "fall back" for BYU. BYUI is a fall back. SUU is a fall back. Utah State isn't.

Utah State has a very large, very influential Atheist/Humanist Club (SHAFT). An overwhelming majority of the professors have been brought in from outside Utah and aren't LDS. In fact, my TBM bosses daughter is a sophomore there and is no longer TBM.

I was there just a couple of years ago and the classes were rigorous (I have a doctorate now, so I know what rigorous is) and the profs demanded critical thinking and openly challenged Mormonism all the time.

So don't shit all over my alma mater like this. You guys have no idea what you're talking about.

GO AGGIES!

Posted by: Ghost of Merlin Olsen ( )
Date: March 16, 2014 04:02AM

Logan LDS Institute enrollment 6,833

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Institute_of_Religion

Logan campus enrollment 16,000

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_State_University

6833/16000 = 42% of students enroll in Institute. Of those, I would guess only half attend.

A strong majority of Utah State students don't even enroll in Institute, much less attend. A substantial portion of the student body isn't even LDS.

If you want to shit all over a school full of BYU rejects where Mormon sensibilities are enforced even though it's a public school, UVSC is your target, not Utah State. UVSC has had dozens and dozens of incidents of Mormons expecting the school to reflect their values. That just doesn't happen at USU.

Date: March 16, 2014 09:10AM

Thanks for this info, I feel so much better.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: March 16, 2014 10:04AM

And a "fall back"? Sorry. False. UVU is a "fall back" for BYU. BYUI is a fall back. SUU is a fall back. Utah State isn't."

I will say about S.U.U...(or "The SUU"...referred to be their graduates) is that they pump out the most socially awkward TBMs I've seen. The TBMs from BYU have more social skills from thos from the SUU

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: March 16, 2014 04:13AM

just say it. Are you talking about Weber state or what?

Date: March 16, 2014 04:15AM

Tupperwhere Wrote:
> just say it. Are you talking about Weber state or
> what?

Sounds more like the U. in Logan.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: March 16, 2014 04:18AM

you're probably right. I forgot about the U

Posted by: Bert ( )
Date: March 16, 2014 07:00AM

This is tragic. Utah State University has had more science experiments go into space than any other school. And their ag. Program is second to none. If the church has decided to make USU the next defector Mo school (see weber state) then I would look at finding an actual University.

Posted by: stuntc ( )
Date: March 16, 2014 07:49AM

Isn't this the school that chanted "waste of tithing!" at Jimmer??

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.